• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Synesthesia, obsession, and introspection

Hedgehog Instigator

Chomp chomp chomp!
My synesthesia is related commonly to numbers and pain. Each number is associated with a color up to 15, I also place numbers in my body. Does anyone else do this or something similar? Along with this I also see pain. I have tree shaped pain and starry pain, triangle pain, and bands of pain... This isn't something visual in either regard but just an internal association. How does synesthesia affect you and/or how do you translate it?

Pretty much everything translates into something visual for me. Calendars, dates, times of day, digits, letters, music, sound, smells if they are strong enough to smell or sensible enough that I can imagine them, tastes, concepts… It's all colours.

I associate colors with numbers and letters. I also feel when I see someone else being touched...so like, if someone is touched on their shoulder, I feel a tingly sensation on my shoulder in the same spot (this is called mirror-touch synesthesia).

Pretty much everything translates into something visual for me.

I didn't think of this as synesthesia particularly, but I do translate spoken words into written form, and then it scrolls across my field of vision like a news ticker. So I don't process the words auditorially--I have to convert them to visual form first. And when talking, I have to insert the words into that scrolling ticker, and then read the words off it in order to speak. There are times when I'm communicating so quickly that this process seems to fade, but then I don't feel like I have much control over what I'm saying. Those are the times I'm most likely to say something stupid/embarrassing/offensive without meaning to.

I also feel when I see someone else being touched...so like, if someone is touched on their shoulder, I feel a tingly sensation on my shoulder in the same spot (this is called mirror-touch synesthesia).

I do that, too, I just had no idea it was any kind of synesthesia.

I didn't think of this as synesthesia particularly, but I do translate spoken words into written form, and then it scrolls across my field of vision like a news ticker.

Printed words equal concepts. I can't understand a word unless I know what it looks like. Hell, I can't even imagine understanding a word unless I know what it looks like. Lucky my parents read to me when I was little, I suppose.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom