• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Subtitles survey!

Your opinions on subtitles?

• I do not mind subtitles on foreign language films.

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • I watch films in my own language with subtitles.

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • It depends on the movie, honestly.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Subtitles at the movies bother me. I would rather not read when watching something.

Votes: 4 10.5%

• Total voters
I like subtitles just fine and definitely prefer subtitles over dubbing and absolutely detest voice overs with two languages being voiced simultaneously.

If a TV show or movie is in a foreign language, I will 100% watch it in the original language with English subtitles. I don't like dubs, I want to watch stuff in the original language. Dubs have their place but they're not for me - with certain exceptions. (For example, I think watching Transformers: The Headmasters dubbed into English is a million times better than watching it in Japanese because, in its original language, The Headmasters is a boring slog of a series but watching it dubbed into English? It becomes absolutely hilarious via the dub often giving characters completely random renames, even when the character had an English name already [case in point: the HUMAN ally of the Autobots known as Spike in both the original American cartoon and the Japanese fiction gets his name mangled to Sparkle], translating the intent of what they're saying correctly but mangling it with weird English, run-on sentences, and just plain bizarreness, and often strange voice acting [the characters with mouthplates sound like the VAs held their hands in front of their mouths to sound muffled, for example] makes it absolutely hilarious to watch instead of boring and dull)

I don't watch things in English with subtitles, usually, unless I genuinely cannot understand what they're saying because of character/actor's having heavy accents or if I'm taking screenshots to share and the dialog is part of why I'm taking the screenshots.

^ Some dubbed/censored movies are hilarious. Die Hard 2 and Mallrats are incredible, for all the wrong reasons.

^ Some dubbed/censored movies are hilarious. Die Hard 2 and Mallrats are incredible, for all the wrong reasons.
The British dub of the anime series, Angel Cop, is hilarious. The original dialogue in that series is an atrocity and the bad English dub is an improvement over that.

I watch movies in their original language with subtitles in my native language, or in English

I watch movies with subtitles, but only on my PC or if I can rewind.

I'm a slow reader, so they always disappear before I have a chance to finish reading.
I miss the action through having to read the subtitles.
Bad trasnlations are annoying and a distraction. Also, my brain wants to automatically learn or decode the langauge of the movie, so that also distracts me from the actual movie.

New Threads

Top Bottom