• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Stupidity? IQ?

Fino

Alex
V.I.P Member
IQ tests have no way of testing a person's intelligence in reference to the formation of ideas, true? What is the form of intelligence involved in creating a coherent, interconnected set of thoughts to form some sort of hypothesis? What is the deficit when a person consistently comes up with faulty, fallacious thought patterns leading to objectively erroneous conclusions, the faultiness of which they are entirely unaware?

Of course, we all say stupid things and come up with stupid ideas. I'm talking about a consistent pattern which leads to a worldview dominated by countless faulty conclusions. Couldn't this person score just fine on an IQ test, or is this issue connected to other aspects of intelligence, aspects which are tested by an IQ test?

I actually don't really care much about the IQ test. My question is really: what sort of intelligence is involved in this process, and what deficit needs to exist to lead to the aforementioned worldview? What would a person do to improve this set of thinking abilities, if possible?

I would guess that the inverse of IQ is not stupidity or ignorance.

I think of stupidity as the inability/unwillingness to learn from mistakes when it is in your capacity to do so. Like pouring boiling water into a papercup you are holding and of course burning yourself and dropping it. Then taking another papercup and trying again. It's kind of not doing the mental work necessary when doing something.

IQ tests have no way of testing a person's intelligence in reference to the formation of ideas, true? What is the form of intelligence involved in creating a coherent, interconnected set of thoughts to form some sort of hypothesis? What is the deficit when a person consistently comes up with faulty, fallacious thought patterns leading to objectively erroneous conclusions, the faultiness of which they are entirely unaware? Of course, we all say stupid things and come up with stupid ideas. I'm talking about a consistent pattern which leads to a worldview dominated by countless faulty conclusions. Couldn't this person score just fine on an IQ test, or is this issue connected to other aspects of intelligence, aspects which are tested by an IQ test? I actually don't really care much about the IQ test. My question is really: what sort of intelligence is involved in this process, and what deficit needs to exist to lead to the aforementioned worldview? What would a person do to improve this set of thinking abilities, if possible?
I think the deficit could be a mix of things, not necessarily related to high intelligence, bit like @Neonatal RRT often says about his testing process, where he had uneven results, unlike an NT might have maybe. We aren't properly studied in an open way, people don't consult us but come up with theories, where as if they asked we could say what we experience. I know you have talked of being told you are oblivious, which you agreed with, but having said that yes in effect we may be oblivious, but why and how and what would help if anything? We can probably do some work on it, again you have said you made progress, so how?

My question is really: what sort of intelligence is involved in this process, and what deficit needs to exist to lead to the aforementioned worldview? What would a person do to improve this set of thinking abilities, if possible?
In my one son's case, it seems to be an underdeveloped executive function. He never takes anything away from his mistakes except that the world unfairly hurt him again.

Hello @Fino

It depends of the nature of the problem being solved. A person may have very low mathematical intelligence and thus getting to wrong resoults on numerical tasks. The same person may have very good social intelligence and get to good conclussions on social stuff (knowing what the other person would like to listen from us, as an example). There are many kinds of intelligences that work almost in independent ways.

And those different intelligences do feed with knowledge and practice. So a person who find difficult to ride a bike may have a lack of coordination, equlibrium, confidence, kinestesic intelligence, may lack a leg, may need a teacher.... Its difficult to find what the main problem is to their difficulties to ride a bicicle by an IQ test and by just reading that they have problems riding a bike.

So you ask for people who get to wrong conclusions, that is very general.

My father have a very unmature way of seeing politics and the economical world. Our intelligences are similary shaped so I offered him books and documentaries so he can educate himself. He refused, he is not interested in learning. He likes
his political and economical ideas despite they make him look like a fool.

Whats the problem with my father? He is not stupid. He could probably learn and develop a very good understanding of politics and economics in a couple of years. What kind of intelligence is he lacking?

Not everything is about intelligence. Culture, experience, learning, testing, talking with people who see life in a different way, reading, reflecting...

My personal symplyfied approach to this general "intelligence" question is the following one:

A) There are people who love learning.

B) There are people who love knowing.

Never discuss with B. :)

To me, people who love knowing but dont want to learn that much are the ones you describe as "getting to wrong conclussions".

Hope it helps.

Standardized IQ tests are primarily about analytical intelligences.

To shine a light on your questions, I will refer you to these links instead of blabbering on here: Understanding the Triarchic Theory of Intelligence

its called critical thinking, something that can be learned or taught, usually not something you pick up on your own. .

Sometimes l come up with a clearly faulty hypothesis, because there is no correct linear thought process to be applied. So if l am going thru a situation which isn't logical, can't be explained, and has no foreseeable outcome, then l create the faulty hypothesis to ride out the ridiculousness of the situation. This is great for things you can't change, like psychotic family members, boyfriends that pull some strange hurtful behavior because they can't say l can't see you for 5 months because what's going on with you, and finally my own klatch of bullies on parade which seems to be a consistent 24 channel rerun. There - problem solved, faulty hypothesis. I attribute this to my need to have a schematic system to understand my external environment.

To others, it may seem l have zero cognitive abilities, l say, let them eat cake. We all deal with what life hands us in different ways. My coping method works fine, though it leaves people scratching their heads a lot in bewilderment and making a faulty hypothesis about my critical thinking attributes. Thanks for this post @Fino - because it made me explain something that l was aware it existed, but couldn't put into words why l did it. Is this critical thinking, no. Maybe it's masking thinking attributed to those ND peeps who end up in situations because of their ND past mistakes. Some of us do end up in situations that defy actual life experiences, and we are forced to figure out our mode of attack especially in dealing with a group mindset, like your family, to society at large, or even your general neighborhood bullies.

Last edited:
My scores on IQ tests are all over the place, some of them actually really low, which always makes me feel like I'm not very smart. I don't really give a crap if I'm "super intelligent" or not because it doesn't make much of a difference to my career path or my lifestyle or my friendships or anything. I'm fine with just being me. I think the people on this forum who like me would like me just the same if I was a genius or if I was half as smart as a fifth grader. Lol

Some people have told me they think I'm above-average smart, and some have told me completely otherwise.
I don't like being talked to like I'm a dumbass though. I clearly have some type of cognitive ability if I'm able to type out accurate descriptions of how I'm feeling.

My scores on IQ tests are all over the place, some of them actually really low, which always makes me feel like I'm not very smart. I don't really give a crap if I'm "super intelligent" or not because it doesn't make much of a difference to my career path or my lifestyle or my friendships or anything. I'm fine with just being me. I think the people on this forum who like me would like me just the same if I was a genius or if I was half as smart as a fifth grader. Lol

Some people have told me they think I'm above-average smart, and some have told me completely otherwise.
I don't like being talked to like I'm a dumbass though. I clearly have some type of cognitive ability if I'm able to type out accurate descriptions of how I'm feeling.

These are all valid points. Sometimes l have moments of extreme stupidity, which l just laugh at myself. Other times l have a moment of brilliance, where people just stare at me and realized l have a bit of a nerd brain and can connect the dots quite quickly as they see it in action. So the point being, we all have smarts in somethings, and other things , we limp thru with Sponge Bob thinking.

And nobody can measure @Luca and their keen awareness of dog behavior, dog's abilities, dog's emotional needs, how to motivate dogs. That is an intelligence that you can't take a written test on. That is intelligence, intuition, experience, perseverance, grit needed to compete.......

Last edited:
IQ tests have no way of testing a person's intelligence in reference to the formation of ideas, true? What is the form of intelligence involved in creating a coherent, interconnected set of thoughts to form some sort of hypothesis? What is the deficit when a person consistently comes up with faulty, fallacious thought patterns leading to objectively erroneous conclusions, the faultiness of which they are entirely unaware?

Of course, we all say stupid things and come up with stupid ideas. I'm talking about a consistent pattern which leads to a worldview dominated by countless faulty conclusions. Couldn't this person score just fine on an IQ test, or is this issue connected to other aspects of intelligence, aspects which are tested by an IQ test?

I actually don't really care much about the IQ test. My question is really: what sort of intelligence is involved in this process, and what deficit needs to exist to lead to the aforementioned worldview? What would a person do to improve this set of thinking abilities, if possible?
that depends on what you worship, do you worship :a god that says all life is sacred or money or do you adore human made results like science ?

theory of relativity, quantum mechanics , do not play nice with each other why should my personality. stupidity and intelligence, can coexist in one person concurrently.

And to catch when someone is treating you like a dumbass! That alone proves you are not!

Rate of understanding when given the pieces needed is all that defines stupidity/intelligence and this rate is not constant.
For stupidity not to be playing a role you need to make sure such a person actually has all the pieces needed and has tried to work with them. Otherwise you are indeed dealing with either ignorance or prioritizing narrative over reality. Both extremely common in at least some areas for pretty much any human being.

New Threads

Top Bottom