• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Stuffed Animals

Yes I do have stuffed toys,i collect toys which includes a fair bit of stuffed animals too,I have Care Bears,beanie kids and beanie boos,a lot of them are from the 80s and I also have some build a bear my little ponies too.

I have an appa from avatar the last Airbender, and all the childhood stuffies I didn't lose or ruin. I'm not sure if this counts but when I got older i started collecting plastic figurines so I have filler bunny and spooky from their respective jhonen Vasquez comics, lots of those pint sized hero dolls, and a whole bunch of other random plastic toys I just liked the looks of.
Everyone knows dolls and figurines are evil..

I buy Mia the canvass ducks (like 10 a year)... She has to destroy it to get the squeaker and it starts at the first second I throw it to her. But for me I never had a thing with stuffed animals... Now you take my pillows and my super soft blanket and we got a problem... : )
Ive heard those squeaker toys can be dangerous for animals cause they can swallow the squeaker when they tear it open.

I'm all for reasonably minimalist, but not in value. I want simple, quality, functional, and not a lot of extra stuff around. I don't like trinkets and just odd things that really take up space and collect dust. : )
Im the same way, not my mother though, shes obsessed with holding on to EVERYTHING, she used to regularly go to the thrift store and get these horrendous looking decorations, sometimes they were even broken, I cant throw anything away without my mother telling me someone might want it, and of course shell never give it away.. Shes a hoarder.

I do have a bunch of stuffed animals - I keep a teddy bear and star-shaped cushion in my bed and the rest are on the top of my bookshelves (well, some handmade toys a friend sent me are on the shelves too). I also collect little figurines and models.

I do have a bunch of stuffed animals - I keep a teddy bear and star-shaped cushion in my bed and the rest are on the top of my bookshelves (well, some handmade toys a friend sent me are on the shelves too). I also collect little figurines and models.
You should call the star cushion Patrick. ^_^

I had one to keep me company when I had to spend a lot of time in the hospital. It was a dog to replace the 4 real ones at home that nap with me. It was very comforting. But my dogs have been slowly de-stuffing him bit by bit so I'll have to replace him maybe one day.

I had one to keep me company when I had to spend a lot of time in the hospital. It was a dog to replace the 4 real ones at home that nap with me. It was very comforting. But my dogs have been slowly de-stuffing him bit by bit so I'll have to replace him maybe one day.
Why does everyone let their teddies get eaten. :'(

Why does everyone let their teddies get eaten. :'(

I think it comes from watching 'Wild Kingdom' as a kid. :D
jimtom&sampson.jpg

Im the same way, not my mother though, shes obsessed with holding on to EVERYTHING, she used to regularly go to the thrift store and get these horrendous looking decorations, sometimes they were even broken, I cant throw anything away without my mother telling me someone might want it, and of course shell never give it away.. Shes a hoarder.

Ug... the word hoarder makes me cringe, tons of just trinkets makes me cringe, walls covered in posing peoples pictures make me cringe... : ) I know people like their stuff and some people are deeply "sentimental" over junk that will wither and rot... I'm not.

I never had much as a kid because so many different people were raising me, so I never really got attached to much at all (including people), nor do I understand the concept.

No stuffed animals, but I did have plenty of action figures and boy toys lying around growing up. Had a whole line-up of Hot Wheels and other generic toy cars too, but all of it was either misplaced or thrown away over time...

My sister on the other hand has a good collection of stuffed toys, which I'd be more than glad to share a picture of soon.

When you first wrote "Stuffed Animals" I assumed real stuffed animals as in animals that have passed away and this was even more reinforced with the first reply by @vangelis, then I later started reading about teddy bears. Did anyone else take this literally? lol!

Anyway the answer with myself is no, I've never been interested in any toy stuffed animals, real stuffed animals or in fact even any boys dolls (like Action Man for instance). Things that have no actual purpose and didn't really do anything have never interested me even as a child and have never provided comfort to me at any time in my life either. As a very young child in single figures I much preferred Lego and then Meccano that I could make things with, followed by electronics components to make radios Etc. (I started with a Science Fair 100 in 1 Electronic Project Kit), then when I was 10 years old I was introduced to computers in with the Commodore Pet in 1979 and that's been my special interest ever since.

My low functioning autistic brother Daniel however was very attached to a stuffed teddy bear from a very young age, he could barely talk and just called it "Gigi", but it became a very important possession to him, if anyone dared to take it away he would scream into a full meltdown, throwing himself on the floor, even if he dropped it he would kick off. I remember when the teddy bear became so old that the material wore through and the insides started coming out, my Mum had to sneak it away from him while sleeping to keep repairing it. Eventually however at around 10 years old he finally overcame his attachment (I can't remember how it stopped exactly), but he has always had something he's attached to instead. It might sound ridiculous, but when he was older he used to carry around old plastic straws, but it caused the same impact if they were ever taken away, even in his 40s he still carries around other bits of plastic.

I think autistic people can become obsessively attached to objects sometimes and that's probably why an attachment to a toy stuffed animal is more common, I've been attached to carrying a bag around with me constantly in the past that I would never put down and it caused me a lot of stress if I did, although the attachment wasn't quite as strong as with my brother it could still cause me to have a meltdown at times. Unfortunately other children started noticing the attachment and some loved to try to take it from me as they found it funny to cause me to have meltdowns, especially at school.

Ru4XQSZ.png

Now that's a real "stuffed animal" collection, I sincerely hope these animals died of natural causes however.

Last edited:
I love plushies in general, they don't necessarily have to resemble animals. I don't own too many and I've never had a very strong attachment to them but I like the way they look and feel. The ones that do have names are very generic like "Froggy" or "Mr.Monkey". I think some people (my parents) might wonder why I would want to keep such things but I find them charming and attractive. I don't think it's strange at all, especially for someone on the spectrum.

Last edited:
I have quite a few, all different things (some are animals and some are characters like Chewbacca and Kirby). I name them all, but I don't play with them. I just like to have them as they're good for comfort, especially if my anxiety is bad as I can smooth them.

New Threads

Top Bottom