• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Struggling with Games

^ I did go to a pool hall/snooker club for a while when I was at uni: wasn’t any good at either game, but it was a nicely quiet, focused environment.

I'm picky about the games I like, and the ones that I do like I'm not regularly devoted to. The best cases would be chess when I was very young (though I haven't played that in years) and sandbox-type games like Minecraft and Terraria--but even those I don't play regularly, only in intense sessions followed by weeks or months of not touching them.
I've only finished a scant few other games: Borderlands 2 because I enjoyed playing it with my boyfriend and it's relatively forgiving to bad hand-eye coordination, and a couple point-and-click games. Most first-person or third-person rpgs/shooter games are too disorienting for me to play without getting lost or freeze up.
But most of my days are spent game-free! I would rather spend my energy doing other things most of the time.

Does anyone struggle to enjoy playing games?
There have been times in my life when I felt that I dont enjoy playing games. I.e. There has been something more interesting to do.

And I don’t like all games, there are certain requirements for me to enjoy. Usually it needs some kind of character development / MMO / RPG features.

Yup. I don't like board games with a group of people. I just don't understand the rules.

But some of my most treasured memories are when one person sits down with me and gently smiles and patiently teaches me a board game. Those memories I cherish forever, and those games become my favorites.

Well video games are my biggest hobby so nope. When I was younger I was pretty bad at video games but still played them. As an adult I find most video games to almost be too easy. I mostly play singleplayer games like RPGs and shooters. Multiplayer games I only really play when it's with a friend. On my own I don't like them much.

As for real games like sports or board games, well I've never been much for those. Board games are pretty fun with family. I've always hated sports and I don't really like the highly competitive nature of it. So yeah.

I even take photography and drawing as a game, althrough it's not the conventional meaning of what a game is. But they are games for me. Singing is a game for me as well.

I guess would turn photography into sort of a game, trying to get the best shot I could of nature scenes when I was into it

Making up kind of silly songs or singing in general is kind of a game that I need to get back into playing. I have been depressed and stopped doing it

My family played board games when I was a child, and I believe that I enjoyed it, but I don’t think I would too much now unless I had kids to share such things with

I like to follow somewhat what is going on in the gaming industry, but really only have played simple iPad games (like angry birds or plants vs zombies) a few years ago, and I played Zelda: Breath of the Wild a lot a couple years ago

My version of playing Breath of the Wild or like Skyrim involves lots of wandering around, with only limited interest in completing objectives quickly. I guess that I like the escapist adventure.

I’m so sad that my ex-girlfriend and I never got around to playing more sky landers since we both liked the mindless simplicity, or had kids and could enjoy family sorts of games. I fight depression about losing her all the time....

I used to enjoy shooting baskets by myself and turn it into kind of like dancing or challenge shots.

It’s hard to explain exactly, but I might for awhile try to be very fluid and smooth, more like ballet for awhile then more herky jerky things

Akeem Olajuwan had a lot of moves which were more or less dance steps. And they were mostly pre-set up. Like he’d make this fancy little move he repeatedly did, then if that didn’t work, go into this fancy other move he repeatedly did

Hi everybody,

I have tried playing many different games; computer games, boardgames, card games, snooker/pool, etc but I have never enjoyed them. From time to time I will take part to please others and so that I'm not segregating myself from them but I don't get any enjoyment out of it.

Thank you,
I understand to some degree. To be honest, I rarely enjoy playing videogames or computer games because my attention span is somewhat compromised. To be honest, I like watching Youtube Videos of other people playing videogames. I love that I need an outside person to help me enjoy videogames. Although I tried to watch the Last of Us part 2. My god, I was nearly bored to death. It was hard having to sit down and watch RadBrad maneuver zombies and do some commentary about the game. I tried other games like Bioshock. I couldn't do it. Although I did enjoy the futuristic cyberpunk game Remember Me. Truth be told, I love cyberpunk. I love reading cyberpunk novels like Neuromancer by William Gibson. To be brutally honest, I can't sit around and watch anything especially TV shows. I get nervous and pace around after 5 minutes of watching. I can't play any kind of game. When I was a kid, I tried to play tag with a couple of kids but eventually I got bored and sat behind the school building quietly, without anyone noticing me. The kids got frustrated, and they ostracized me from then on.

I personally like games a lot, but I'm able to compete in many of them too.
Try puzzles out. epuzzle.info allows a person to do a puzzle on their own, or you can work with other people at random or your friends for up to 10 people at the same time. No registration- easy to use. You don't have to be good. If you think you're about to annoy others, you can stop doing the puzzle when you're near completion of it. Great pandemic activity and not too hard to pick up!

Hi everybody,

I have tried playing many different games; computer games, boardgames, card games, snooker/pool, etc but I have never enjoyed them. From time to time I will take part to please others and so that I'm not segregating myself from them but I don't get any enjoyment out of it.

Thank you,

Yes, I have never enjoyed games and don't even know how to approach playing games. This makes me extremely unpopular at family social gatherings where.people love playing games.

I don't even know how to play Crazy 8's, or Old Maid, or Go Fish: basic children's card games. I got overwhelmed by all the cards. Adult card games are even worse because I associate them with people smoking, gambling, or needing to think strategically. Likewise I have no idea how to play Checkers or Chess, or most standard board games. I do love Scrabble and Boggle though. I can always understand word games.

I played some of the cars games you mentioned as a child, but that was so long ago I do not remember how to play. I'm am just not game oriented, and suck at family social gatherings that include playing games. This thread just solidifies my ASD diagnosis.

New Threads

Top Bottom