• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Stress Tip: Pregnenolone

WereBear

License to Weird
V.I.P Member
I had a very long and twisty trip to diagnosis.

I believe it started with sudden surgical endocrine crisis -- stupid doctor wanted to take out all reproductive organs, but I insisted on only the cystic ovary damaged by his medical indifference. Still, it threw me into menopause like I went over a cliff. In my case, there were no physical symptoms at all, it was mental: short-term memory issues, inability to sleep, and the overpowering urge to destroy things with an axe if people wouldn't stop annoying me.

I got the usual hormone therapy, which was part of the problem: these are all artificial hormones, which are dangerous, unlike the bio-identical kind, which are not. So I basically treated myself, especially after a disastrous appointment with a top endocrinologist who was an unmitigated a$$hole.

I actually improved all my issues, then kept hitting a wall. The name of the wall was Asperger's, so I look forward to actually being much better now. :)

This is how I discovered pregnenolone. It is an INCREDIBLE help with stress issues of any kind.

It is not a hormone itself: it is a hormone precursor. It is the building blocks our endocrine system uses to make all the hormones we need.

Under stress, the pregnenolone generator can't keep up. And we become fatigued.

Right now, I generally take 100 mg of it at bedtime, under the tongue, because digestion destroys it. And it works wonderfully for sleep! But it is also good for anxiety of all kinds, which is highly endocrine related.

Now, mind you, "officially" I am not supposed to take so much, etc. But in all my data mining, I only came across one caution, which is that if we are already taking hormone supplements, the pregnenolone can throw off the dosage. My response was to drop my artificial hormones, and let the pregnenolone help my body do what it wants and needs to do.

Well worth investigation, IMHO.

Sounds interesting. Just out of curiosity, how long ago was your surgery and did you have to go under general anesthesia?

The reason I ask is that I found out this year after hernia surgery that general anesthesia can have nasty side effects including anxiety and insomnia that can last month's after the surgery. Just a thought.

I was under, it was a few hours, laparoscopic (which I highly recommend) and it was my first time with general (put under with barbiturates in years past, for dental implant.) In my case, I do not think it is a factor in my health challenges, but I think it is a good point to bring up.

They now know that "pump head" is an issue with people who were put on a heart/lung machine, and many elderly people have trouble bouncing back from anesthetic, especially dental; Peter Falk, in his eighties, never mentally came back from dental anesthesia. There is increasing evidence that your experience is not rare, either. There are monitors being developed that pick up far more feedback, and can perhaps pick up distress on more metrics than the few basic ones they track today.

And that was six years ago. Insomnia alone will do a number on a person, but this was definitely, in part, a cortisol reaction. Because Cortisol Resistance Protocols worked!

https://www.jackkruse.com/primal-cortisol-response/

My case was baffling, because my cortisol tested rather high. But it wasn't getting into the cells, and so my symptoms were of its lack.

New Threads

Top Bottom