• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

street begging

Aspergers_Aspie

I found this poster. Buying someone homeless food and drinks however is good.

Attachments

• CV3sH5iWEAA9GYa.png_large.png
    CV3sH5iWEAA9GYa.png_large.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 247
I found this poster. Buying someone homeless food and drinks however is good.

Perhaps. Or maybe you are just supplying them free food and drinks while they are doing their panhandling shift. My feelings about this are ambivalent. I certainly feel sorry for the needy and want to help. But I am also aware of junkies and people just looking for a free ride asking for money.

Is one doing the right thing or wrong thing by helping? Is one being practical or heartless?

Last edited:
It was a mixed bag in LA. One time l offered food, lady was so happy. Another time l offered food, lady turned me down. She clearly wanted money.

Buying someone homeless food and drinks however is good.
(I am on the poverty line and still get medical assistance.)

I have relied on local charities before and I give to them, now. They are better at distribution and can make better use of smaller donations (by adding them to other small donations). Also, I don't typically carry cash.

My son (in college) doesn't carry cash, either, but keeps a few protein bars on hand to give away.

Addicts actually steal resources from honestly needy [parties].

Last edited:
Similar warning posters can be found in various places in the States where panhandlers gather. Usually they are placed by municipal governments or private businesses looking to discourage harassment of potential customers by panhandlers. Some municipalities have passed laws making panhandling illegal. Last year Sacramento made it illegal to beg within a certain distance of a street intersection; an older law in Medford, Oregon, simply prohibits the passing of items between vehicles and pedestrians anywhere in the city limits. The Medford law has the benefit of outlawing drive through illegal drug transactions as well as begging for money. At one point the city of Sacramento tried installing decommissioned parking meters throughout downtown so that people could get rid of spare change without giving it to beggars, the change went to local charities. The meters were promptly ripped open and then removed.

This was a major problem in Seattle before the virus. Now I expect it has become much worse.

I see lots of panhandlers, the term I've always used... Spending lots of time downtown I've seen it many times, I "rarely" give money, I won't say never...

And I generally go with my gut feeling when I encounter situations... Recently I was having lunch outside on a downtown patio, chatting with a man who I know is homeless, he had just asked for a water... Without him even asking, I offered to buy him lunch, my gut feeling and picking my moments...

I like to give them a chance. Give them the money and let them decide. I also give them the Gospel of John sometimes, a little booklet. In case they'd prefer Heaven.

And giving food and drinks might allow them to save their money for drugs instead of spending it on staying alive, there's no way to get around it.
Regardless if I give them money (which is rare, I prefer to donate to effective charities) then I leave it up to them to decide how to spend it. From the moment I hand it over it is their money to send however they will, I am not going to take responsibility for an adults choices.

I used to give beggars money, occasionally a sandwich or take-away coffee until one time, I gave someone a £10 note. I handed him the cash, he said thank you and I went into the supermarket (he was begging near the entrance of the store).

When I came out of the store, I saw him get into a large saloon BMW with 4 other men. It was likely an organised begging ring.

I have never given anything to beggars since then.

I donate to charities of my choice and also help out at a local cat shelter. I figure the cats don't ask to be dumped, but humans have choices. Yes, the odds may be stacked against a lot of people, but the choice is still there.

Here where I live, they come round all the restaurants, either selling small items like pens, or begging for money. Or they get on the public metro system with a musical instrument and start playing. I find these in-your-face tactics extremely annoying, intrusive and unpleasant, and I don't give. However, I might give to a charitable organisation, or buy one of those magazines they sell to help the homeless.

My partner once went to give a woman with a small child some change, but then, while he was distracted, the child stole a wad of money he had in his pocket. Never again.

I know the state doesn't do much for the needy and bans them begging or selling garden goods without paying. I think the state isn't always right and on their side.

Some street people are picky about what they get and rude, and substance abuse and neglect buying for children. It's really a risk but if there is where to give from I think it's a noble thing to do, despite the risk. Nothing is really certain but at one point some of what we give will help someone.

There was a time when I was surviving off plasma donations. It sucked. In many respects, I was lucky- difficult circumstances in my extended family meant that I had a roof over my head, but it was far from unusual for me to spend time harvesting dandelions to have something to supplement the rice. When things were going exceptionally well, I'd sometimes celebrate by buying Ramen, but that was a celebratory indulgence, and I couldn't afford to do it often. I know that it was purely a matter of luck that I wasn't reduced to begging, and I can only imagine how soul-crushing it must be to have to do so. I rarely have much to give, but I'll usually kick in a little if asked.

Since I am impaired in knowing people's intentions, I usually steer clear of panhandlers. My mother was robbed by two of them; one gave compliments and distracted, the other opened her purse and took her money.
One nice memory I have is when hubby and I were heading home after Thanksgiving dinner at his cousin's house. We had stopped for gas, when a ragged guy asked us for money. We refused, then he asked if we had any leftover food from Thanksgiving. We happened to have plenty, and we divided it up with him. I had a warm feeling all the way home.

It's interesting that people see this dichotomy between either giving to a beggar or giving to a charity. A man is in need and we say, "Sorry, I give to charities." The man says, "Oh, of course, then you can't possibly give to me." And we say, "I'm glad you understand." Then we tip our hat and go on our merry way.

It's interesting that people see this dichotomy between either giving to a beggar or giving to a charity. A man is in need and we say, "Sorry, I give to charities." The man says, "Oh, of course, then you can't possibly give to me." And we say, "I'm glad you understand." Then we tip our hat and go on our merry way.
That is an interesting observation! Is it actually seen as a dichotomy though? As one of the people saying I don't give much to beggars because I prefer to give to charities, it is not that I see a dichotomy there, they are both charity, it is just that giving to a effective charity organisation means that my money goes a lot further and will help a lot more people. Giving a beggar £10 will buy them lunch, giving the Against Malaria Foundation £10 will buy 5 children bed nets which could save their lives. It's simple maths.

A man is in need and we say, "Sorry, I give to charities." The man says, "Oh, of course, then you can't possibly give to me." And we say, "I'm glad you understand." Then we tip our hat and go on our merry way.
That is a bit cynical.
It's interesting that people see this dichotomy between either giving to a beggar or giving to a charity.
Charities are more discerning about who is begging honestly or dishonestly.

The most likely reason that they are begging directly is because they represent the latter. We have never had a charity withhold benefits from us when we were in need.

We hear stories from our children's pastor (one of the charities that we now support) where someone calls up asking for food. He offers to take them grocery shopping and they just cuss him out and hang up. Those are the ones who turn to direct begging. Charity adds a layer of accountability.

Something I learned from my son. He won't give money but he will take them to the nearest fast food place and treat them to a meal. He has found that even when the panhandler is right in front of a burger place, they usually aren't interested. I keep some emergency food in the back of my car so I've been known to grab a package of whatever snacks I have on hand and a bottle of water and give it.

When someone is parked in front of a gas station and asks for gas money, I'll give couple bucks if it looks legit. I have been in that place myself more than once.

New Threads

Top Bottom