• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

street begging

There's nothing wrong with someone who is having to sleep on the street from finding relief through drink or drugs. Can you imagine how hard it is to live like that? So to judge them for having to make it easier for themselves is cruel.

That being said, addiction is a disease not a choice, not any more, not once it has taken hold. Help is needed, but help won't always be available if you have no address, are suffering from mental health issues, and are living on the street as an alcoholic.

I spent a lot of time in India where it's hard not to give to people on the street. Children so young, in rags, dirty, just wanting a few coins. People with leprosy, without homes, just after a few pence. It is true that there are organised beggar rings in operation, in fact young girls can be kidnapped from different parts of India and forced to beg, and if they don't return with money they are beaten. That was the hardest place for me to deal with this.

But as soon as people start judging it's not really giving any more. Giving has to come from the heart, and if it doesn't come from the heart don't bother.

Most people who responded here have never experienced real homelessness. I'm not saying you are wrong not to give because beggars aren't always what they seem, but it can only be a small percentage who are involved in some kind of scam. Trouble is, all it takes is a few reports of this, and it's easy to decide they are all driving home in Mercedes, thus removing any guilt you might feel about not wanting to give.

There are fraudulent charities too. And churches stuff charity funds into building tons of new churches like castles, driving toxic candle fumes into the lungs of believers. Unless they have legal papers for their charity case it's not certain.

In my country giving to charity is limited, there are very few such activities and if it's not online you'll have to travel to give, or send sms with charge which is a fixed amount, like 30-35? euro, not little. They sometimes walk through schools presenting their case but not many have legal papers.
I once had the misfortune to stay at a homeless shelter. The shelter had a soup kitchen, which provided a scanty breakfast, and at noon they would open to the public and anyone who was hungry could come and have a meal. Since I was a resident I often observed food being delivered there that never found its way to the kitchen. Staff would load the really nice things into their own cars and take it home. Same with barrels of clothing; the staff would pick out the really nice things and then distribute the rest to the needy.

I once had the misfortune to stay at a homeless shelter. The shelter had a soup kitchen, which provided a scanty breakfast, and at noon they would open to the public and anyone who was hungry could come and have a meal. Since I was a resident I often observed food being delivered there that never found its way to the kitchen. Staff would load the really nice things into their own cars and take it home. Same with barrels of clothing; the staff would pick out the really nice things and then distribute the rest to the needy.
I suppose I shouldn't be shocked, as you're describing human nature really. I just don't usually get to hear such things from personal experience. I appreciate you saying it. There would be other anecdotal revelations of a similar nature that I'm sure could be revealed, by you, and others perhaps. It is a little sad to hear, primarily because it's not something I usually think about. But like I said, human nature.

I found this poster. Buying someone homeless food and drinks however is good.
OK I've known people turn to hard drugs due to homelessness stress, not all beggars are druggies or drunks, ALL are vulnerable.
One drunk homeless man I've known for years asked if I would buy him a sandwich, I was glad to. :)

I used to give money to street people all the time, but then I realized some were lying about their circumstances, and I was taken advantage of. I would also see the same ones in the same spots for years, just doing it like it was their permanent job. So now I've made the decision to give money on a regular basis to our most responsible local charity, the food bank.

If you choose to give to a charity, you would do well to research first. I've volunteered with two different charities in my community. One was incredibly responsible with donations. They made sure everything got used, and even gave food that couldn't be used by humans to pigs. With the second charity, I was helping them prepare winter holiday gifts. When they didn't get enough contributions in a specific category, they would just throw away the perfectly good items because they didn't have the right number of them. Needless to say, I only donate money and/or time to the first charity now.

New Threads

Top Bottom