• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Strange or non-standard use of language in ASD

I collect and use outdated and obsolete words, it's sad when words go into obscurity, I just try and revive them.

cos there's some really really great obsolete words out there.

I think it's a form of 'collector' mentality, it's a collection you don't have to dust.

Last edited:
I collect and use outdated and obsolete words, it's sad when words go into obscurity, I just try and revive them.
here is one you might not have collected scrike !my mother used to describe, the noise a cat makes ,when it wants to come in the house ,it is high-pitched ,I’m from North East England ,from what I know its of Norwegian ancestry.

New words are made and old ones are discarded. Why is that sad?
Think of somebody Who couldn’t communicate !if they were rendered voiceless !!!!!,because the words they used were considered worthless !how terrible that would be!

scrike - that's a new one on me, quite apt for the circumstance isn't it?

I'm in Australia so different uh patois.

Last edited:
scrike - that's a new one on me, quite apt for the circumstance isn't it?

I'm in Australia so different uh patois.
I Assume Australian English has more aboriginal words in it ,Irish ,Scottish, it it won't have a lot of Norwegian because a lot of norwegians didn't migrate to Australia ,Australian English probably has Greek in it and Italian words ,there are probably still Scandinavian words and German words but there is not a huge German community ,just really centred in South East Australia, as it's a republic it adopted American terms.

I have a very creative way with language. It makes me good at writing, but I get comments regularly on my use of relatively archaic or formal words and phrases. I got teased a lot in elementary school because people thought I sounded like a professor or something. I didn't really mind back then and I don't right now. I took it as a compliment. I don't really care what people think about it. I'm not going to change it, not even sure I could if I wanted to.

I insist on saying "farewell," rather than any other form of goodbye, because I very much like that it says "Fare well," telling the other person to fare well, as in it's a kind statement, rather than a nonsensical one such as "goodbye." But I suppose "fare," is not a standard word, so perhaps that is why people often repeat, "Farewell...?" in bafflement.

I insist on saying "farewell," rather than any other form of goodbye, because I very much like that it says "Fare well," telling the other person to fare well, as in it's a kind statement, rather than a nonsensical one such as "goodbye." But I suppose "fare," is not a standard word, so perhaps that is why people often repeat, "Farewell...?" in bafflement.
you obviously don’t like German good is just the old high German for gut , etymology online describes it as God be with you it’s a contraction of that

you obviously don’t like German good is just the old high German for gut , etymology online describes it as God be with you it’s a contraction of that

I don't mind the word "good," I just don't understand the "bye" being described as good. I do like that contraction, but I would only enjoy it if people understood it be that.

I don't mind the word "good," I just don't understand the "bye" being described as good. I do like that contraction, but I would only enjoy it if people understood it be that.
are you English I can’t remember some English people say bye and bye It’s just old English for eventually it’s just time

Neurotypicals have inherited a deep and ancient aversion to difference: it seems to be an inbuilt atavistic response, in them. Hence racism.

Neurotypicals can be allergic to different.

And I have a pet theory having Asperger's is almost like coming from a racial or religious minority: we just have to accept that we will face bias and we will face discrimination and we will face hostility, and this is not a situation that can be turned around fast, so although of course we must not tolerate it as correct, we would be deluded were we to deny it is the case.

Humans' aversion to difference isn't so much atavistic as it is animalistic. Wouldn't you say? Humans are herd animals. We need each other to survive. Being different in a way the rest of the herd doesn't approve of or finds alarming could result in being kicked out of the herd, and then you'd be on your own and would probably die naked and alone in the wilderness.

It's funny... Autistic people can't naturally conform (we have to put a lot of conscious effort into it), which makes us pretty cool but at the same time pre-destines us to, you know, die naked and alone in the wilderness.

New Threads

Top Bottom