• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Starting A Charity?

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
I went to the grocery store last night and noticed that all the baby formula was locked up in a cabinet. I asked the stock person, and he said that people steal it often. It broke my heart a little bit. If I had a grocery store, it'd be near impossible for me to prosecute someone who stole formula or diapers.

I was immediately inspired to somehow figure out how to get baby needs to low income or homeless families. I don't have much money, and a lot of it would have to be donations. I was thinking about maybe collecting baby needs from people and then donating them to a food bank.

Where should I start?

Start at the beggining. There was a Rachel Ray episode that featured something similar. It's always easier to join an existing program than it is to start your own. RR became my hero several years ago with the one million meals program. That is some seriously potent inspiration learning about that.

Bucket-bucket plank and the 5-5-40 program is very old school method for supply side marketing and storage. Five families, five dollars a week for forty weeks equals 1000 dollars in food resource buying power. The buckets and that is for storing dry goods.

My hero Comas started his food bank with donations from people on food stamps. Seriously. There is an awesome concept called gleaning that collects out of date material from grocery stores and distributes it to ppl in need.

I believe in you!!!

Last edited:
Large numbers of items are locked up in stores now. After people started stealing detergent and eating Tide Pods several stores in my area started locking that up. Then people started stealing baby food and related items like Pedialyte, so that was locked up too. I went into a Walmart to look for Foodsaver bags and those were locked up too, along with the machines!

Apparently anything that can be sold in flea markets by tweekers and other drug addicts gets stolen. For a while people were stealing MEAT of all things! Here in California gangs of thieves will go into drugstores and simply dump the entire contents of shelves into giant bags then run out. 17 Walgreens locations in San Francisco alone have been forced to close due to the fact that they couldn't keep anything on the shelves-the shelves would be restocked and an hour later gangs would swarm in, haul everything out in Hefty bags, and flee. The goods are then fenced on Ebay or in flea markets.

Sticker prices are so high at the stores that people buy on Ebay or at flea markets now because they can't afford retail prices, and all that stuff is stolen. Welcome to hyperinflation land.

I interned for an organization that provided the needs you mentioned. I believe there are many similar resources.

My daughter is a scout. We brainstormed together and came up with an idea. I put an ad on Craigslist. At the same time, she's going to do a presentation in front of her troop to get donations from all the girls. Everyone who helps will get service hours.

We're going to collect all the baby needs and donate them to a local agency called "Neighborhood House", that provides food, transitional housing, new parent education, and Early Head Start to local homeless and low income families.

Last edited:
Oh it's wonderful!!

My daughter is at her troop meeting telling all the girls about our formula drive, and meanwhile a random stranger came over and brought three cans of formula, and five packs of diapers!

We will donate them to a local food bank. This organization also provides housing and respite care for homeless families.

New Threads

Top Bottom