• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Social Withdrawal

That one sentence sums it up for me.
I call it the Aspie conundrum.
And it does get worse with age.
Personally I think it wouldn’t get worse with age if we had a perfect existence that we !considered perfect! a lot of people that are called older can’t be bothered .But that’s because of choices in life.

One of my friends doesn't think I try hard enough. Recently, this friend and I were at an event and I was meeting people who looked like they were alone or I would go with a friend up to people in a group of 2 to ask about what league sport they were going to be in next season to try to form a team.
I remember that when I was at school, I was told that to make friends, I needed to be more friendly and approach people more, and then people would respond. So one day, I sat next to a boy in class that I didn't normally talk to and said 'hi'. He promptly turned to his friends who were sitting behind him and said, 'what's she doing sitting next to me?' So much for that advice.
I stood back and was watching my grandson at a birthday party one day and it took me back to my childhood and it's like I knew exactly what he was doing and feeling. He stood back from the group of kids watching with the desire to join them but didn't quite know how and it broke my heart. The kids played pin the tail on the donkey and he stood in the background, like he was waiting for someone to say it was his turn but went unnoticed by the other kids. By the time he did the pin the tail, all the other kids had run off to the swings. Then I watched him repeat the same thing at the swings.
We wait for the invitation because we don't know how to get in there and join the group, and often not noticed so we never get to join. It's sad when you see it. It's sad when you're the one waiting for an invitation to the group that never comes. Others just push their way into the group and we just can't do that.
This is how it was for me, too. I rarely joined in groups - found them a bit intimidating/threatening, too. Part of it was fear of rejection, and part not knowing how to join in.

Another thing that happens a lot to me, is that I talk to one person, and one to one it's ok, but then another person comes along to join the conversation, and the person I'm talking to starts to talk to them and I get left out/ignored and feeling redundant. Their conversation is somehow different - it flows between them it a way that it doesn't with me, and I don't know how to make it flow like this.

I remember that when I was at school, I was told that to make friends, I needed to be more friendly and approach people more, and then people would respond. So one day, I sat next to a boy in class that I didn't normally talk to and said 'hi'. He promptly turned to his friends who were sitting behind him and said, 'what's she doing sitting next to me?' So much for that advice.

This is how it was for me, too. I rarely joined in groups - found them a bit intimidating/threatening, too. Part of it was fear of rejection, and part not knowing how to join in.

Another thing that happens a lot to me, is that I talk to one person, and one to one it's ok, but then another person comes along to join the conversation, and the person I'm talking to starts to talk to them and I get left out/ignored and feeling redundant. Their conversation is somehow different - it flows between them it a way that it doesn't with me, and I don't know how to make it flow like this.

I've learned a few tricks the hard way.

1. Either you can tell someone is attracted to your looks/personality by non-verbal gestures (something we usually suck at as a whole, lol.)

2. You know you and the other person share something in common to give you a slight enough in. Maybe you and the other person are not talking with anyone and are/look alone. Maybe you are both in, say, a chess club, and you know you both like chess.

3. You're desperate or "desperate" and/or you don't care about other people's reactions and aren't too intense about it. (Or, you are intense/too intense and don't care.)

4. Create a "gimic" that "gives you an excuse" to talk to other people.

i.e. I tried to get my friend to draw a picture of my face with a Scrappy Doo body, and then show it off to strangers and tell people my name and that my friend drew this to start conversation and attempt to join a league team.

I have a friend like this (#3), and he is usually happy for the most part, but kind of a miserable (insert expletive here) in his own way. We are so different people have looked at us funny that we are friends. Me and him sometimes get kinda surprised. Well, we did date each other prior, and we do have some unique nuanced commonalities to even make a friendship work well despite our differences.

Last edited:
...We wait for the invitation because we don't know how to get in there and join the group, and often not noticed so we never get to join. It's sad when you see it. It's sad when you're the one waiting for an invitation to the group that never comes. Others just push their way into the group and we just can't do that.
Yes, I have always been a "loner". I was scared of kids even when I was a kid. For me, instead of waiting for an invitation I was scared to death I would be invited. Being invited was almost terrifying. Don't think this has changed with age. I still suffer extreme anxiety in social gatherings. Fortunately, I met and married a wonderful NT that is my social buffer. It's amazing how much her presence reduces my anxiety.

I wouldn't say I suffer, not now. When I was a child I would leave playmates and spend time by myself in the forests near my families home. In fact, that was the place where I was most happy, and even now it brings me a sense of peace when I'm walking in a forest...
I also love forests and wooded, secluded areas. As a kid (and now), I spent as much time in "wild" areas as I could. My best friends were other animals, both wild and domestic.
Would like to add that my all-time favorite, most enjoyable vacation was at the Sequoia National Park in California.

Last edited:
I choose solitude.

Though I can't say that I "suffer" in doing as such.

I like this :)

I'd have to say I "suffer" less in solitude.

Experience over time has shown trying to be sociable is hard work, draining, oftentimes with disastrous consequences.

When younger, and after interaction didn't quite go as expected,
I'd pick myself up, dust myself off and go at it again. (and again, and again)

Now older, and realising; after much ado,
I don't need to wear myself out trying to be something I'm not.

If I cut back on the 'social' aspect, I currently manage better.
(not brilliantly, but better)

Social situations can be draining and when stressed it is easy to withdraw and avoid these. I find if I am in a good space I am ok at social situations - I am never the life and soul but I can manage at the edge and chat with people one to one.

I don't really have close friends now which to be honest at the moment I am ok with. Close friendships tend to come with a level of intensity in my experience that I dont function well with.

It's so often difficult to explain to those outside the realm of autism.

That while for some us loneliness hurts, solitude heals.

An acquaintance from my NA homegroup died (suicide) recently. I chose to attend the Mass instead of the showing, thinking there would be fewer social interactions in a Mass. Even though most people from the 12-step fellowship went to the showing. I was terribly uncomfortable before the Mass, and especially at that "Peace of the Lord " handshaking thing in the middle of the service. After it was over, the family was at the entrance, and the only way to avoid them would have been to go out a side exit. I didnt want the friend who I was with to judge me, (even though she knows my social anxiety and has some of her own). Bad choice! I stood around silently while my friend said nice things to the family of the dead woman. It was excruciating for me. Next time I will take the side exit. Does that answer the question?

I don't think "suffer from it" is the right adjective phrase, more than "enjoy it" is.

I really like being alone. I enjoy solitude. Yes I get terribly lonely, but then after a very quick recharge with a special friend or family member, I am able to go back inside and be cozy again.

Social withdrawal is like a giant Prozac for me. When l need to scope in on my thought process, this really helps.

New Threads

Top Bottom