• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

KevinMao133

I just recently came back to Toronto. I must say: life is good. Life has been treating me well lately

There is just one issue though, and this issue is hard for me to overcome: social anxiety

I feel uncomfortable around crowds, large settings and I never feel good enough

this is not a Covid thing, I realized as I been suffering from this issue for a while now, meaning I’m already socially anxious, even before Covid

I went to the Eaton center yesterday and I must say: wearing a mask in the public has helped me reduce my anxiety by a lot

Still though, I can’t wear masks forever and sooner or later I have to overcome this issue

What do I do?

I sometimes think once S.A has taken hold it may be more a case of living along side it as opposed to fixing or curing.

Recognising the moments when fear strikes and finding coping mechanisms that work for you in that particular moment (at the time it's happening

My SA stemmed from several sources, primarily a fear of rejection. I am a natural introvert and so also disliked calling attention to myself. Crowds do not bother me except to make me feel claustrophobic. I could negotiate tight cave passages, but crowds make me feel that there is no way out.

My SA did interfere with some of my goals and desires and this was exacerbated by;
- an inability to understand social communication,
- the lack of positive social markers for my age; clothes, car, money.

This prevented me from dating until 26, because at 25 I decided to live independently, started liking myself and my interests, and began involvement with activities I was skilled at. It was hard but I am happy I did it, and this was at a time I did not know I was autistic.

Last edited:
I went to the Eaton center yesterday and I must say: wearing a mask in the public has helped me reduce my anxiety by a lot

Still though, I can’t wear masks forever and sooner or later I have to overcome this issue

What do I do?

I also had a great calming effect from wearing a mask in public.

You can keep doing this, in a way. You can certainly go out in scarves and hoodies, and other comfortable clothing that provides the same protection that you got from a mask… not talking about covid either… Just the feelings. I almost always go out in a hat and sunglasses, a scarf in the winter… And fall… And spring… okay lots of scarves and hats.

But, for me it’s been more like what @Gracey described where I am no longer trying to cure it or get over it, but rather manage the inevitability when it rises.

Some people here have had great success just using headphones with or without music. For me, it makes me feel anxious, but I’ve read so many instances where it help people.

I was one of those people who didn't mind the covid masks at all. I didn't care if they worked or not, it was just nice to wear a mask, I was more relaxed. But no one wears masks anymore here now, I sort of miss the masks.

What you should do, I don't know but I have had some luck before with forcing myself to do unpleasant or stressing things over and over, becoming more used to it and it eventually became less stressing. But it doesn't work on everything and it's not fun.

Try not to worry about what others think of you. Do what's best for you. If literally masking makes you more comfortable, then don the mask with pride.

In my travels this year, I've seen mask wearing range from about 25% up to 75%, and just as it's already been a practice for many in East Asia for a number of years now, I expect that mask wearing will become a sort of norm in North America in that there will be enough wearing it that you don't stand out from wearing one. Furthermore, I think more people will mask in winter since it also helps keep your face a bit warmer.

I always had that same anxiety, even when I was young, I hate crowds. I had to make myself face them if I wanted a social life. I drank a lot.

I was always an avid reader and always had a book with me, people are more reluctant to disturb you if you're reading a book. Interesting note - this doesn't work if you're reading on a tablet or laptop, they'll happily annoy you then, but for some reason if you're sitting there with an actual book in your hands they mostly leave you alone.

And I hated wearing a mask. I can't see much without my glasses and every timed I breathed out my glasses fogged up, wearing a mask meant I was blind. I'm the same as Rodafina with headphones, not being able to hear what's going on around me would turn me in to a nervous wreck.

Try not to worry about what others think of you. Do what's best for you. If literally masking makes you more comfortable, then don the mask with pride.

In my travels this year, I've seen mask wearing range from about 25% up to 75%, and just as it's already been a practice for many in East Asia for a number of years now, I expect that mask wearing will become a sort of norm in North America in that there will be enough wearing it that you don't stand out from wearing one. Furthermore, I think more people will mask in winter since it also helps keep your face a bit warmer.

about the east Asia part, that’s where my anxiety comes in

last three years of my life I been living in China. Just recently made my way back to Canada. It’s like being in a bubble for so long you almost don’t remember what life was like pre Covid

I will always bring a mask with me, in case I need it

about the east Asia part, that’s where my anxiety comes in

last three years of my life I been living in China. Just recently made my way back to Canada. It’s like being in a bubble for so long you almost don’t remember what life was like pre Covid

I will always bring a mask with me, in case I need it
In April I spent several weeks in Thailand. I was amazed at the exceptionally high mask compliance.

I just recently came back to Toronto. I must say: life is good. Life has been treating me well lately

There is just one issue though, and this issue is hard for me to overcome: social anxiety

this is not a Covid thing, I realized as I been suffering from this issue for a while now, meaning I’m already socially anxious, even before Covid

What do I do?
I used to feel like this, and depending on the crowd type, it still can be a big issue. I had a recent panic when I went to my last con and I was very grateful that someone saw that I was having a moment and took me outside to recollect. I usually wear headphones and listen to music to block people out (which isn’t a good idea). It does get easier, however.=)

I still wear a mask in public places. It's ostensibly because I was told that I should since I'm a high risk for COVID. Though as other people have said, I too like wearing a mask as it just makes me feel better. It's a layer between me and everything else. I definitely feel more comfortable wearing one.

But here's the weird thing, I should wear my glasses but they drive me nuts! And as @Outdated said, I couldn't wear a mask with my glasses as every time I breathed out they fogged up. But I can see well enough to get by so my glasses aren't a necessity for me.

I kinda don't get it in a way, glasses drive me mad but masks make me feel comfortable. The only thing I can think of is that the glasses maybe break down the barrier that poor vision provides? On the other hand I'm also super aware of my glasses as they are right in front of my eyes and my eyes like to kinda focus on radom things and the frames provide something random for them to get distracted by.

I don't really care what people think about me wearing a mask. I have a response prepared already which is essentially "Don't worry. I know why I'm wearing it. You don't need to know". I have noticed a few people giving me an odd look but just because everyone wants to pretend COVID is no longer a risk, doesn't mean I should lol! :smilecat:

In my case a large part of my social anxiety is utterly deserved and having it will keep me out of a lot of trouble and terrible experiences, I just wish to push the boundaries a little bit so it's more convenient for me.
I don't treat being scared of heights, poverty and war like they're a disease either, so I don't feel the anxiety is either, it's all about placing that boundary where it becomes most convenient to your own desire.

I still wear a mask in places like supermarkets or shops or other indoor excursions, as there's varied estimates on when one stops being immunocompromised from the treatments I had this year, so I am being careful. Don't want covid. I put my glasses on the mask so a tad lower than usual, seems to help clear the mist.

I think moving between cultures is likely to be stressful, probably over time you will get less anxious, scarves or neck warmers can double as masks too. It sounds like overall you are doing well though, thats good to hear.

I have never been able to get over social anxiety . Especially large crowds. For me I know there is no cure . I just limit how much I do it . Or can do it . I know my limits and won’t try pushing myself on a bad day.

I still wear a mask in places like supermarkets or shops or other indoor excursions, as there's varied estimates on when one stops being immunocompromised from the treatments I had this year, so I am being careful. Don't want covid. I put my glasses on the mask so a tad lower than usual, seems to help clear the mist.

I think moving between cultures is likely to be stressful, probably over time you will get less anxious, scarves or neck warmers can double as masks too. It sounds like overall you are doing well though, thats good to hear.

doing excellent. I just attended a raptors game, a public event. At the beginning I felt uneasy but it quickly faded away. Now I feel good. It’s the first step, a good step

What do I do?
When I was young, they called it "nervous shyness." Sometime later, I was called social anxiety. It turns out that what I had was anthrophobia. I haven't changed, and my reaction to crowds has always been the same.. It was anthrophobia then and it is now, no matter what the label. Unfortunately, I can't really help. All I can really advise is avoid crowds. I always have to have a window seat while flying, the illusion of the crowd on only one side helps tremendously. Otherwise I am on the edge of a screaming ballistic panic. So, if it makes you feel better, there is a person out there who is even worse off. Good luck and stay strong.

During my autism assessment I described myself as a Misanthrope.
I've had to stop saying that about myself to certain medical professionals. When I say it, I am being ironic. I mean it as a tongue in cheek way of saying I prefer to be on my own most of the time.

My little joke has been viewed in a very dark way by certain people. Perhaps it's the deadpan way I say things, it's caused problems a few times when I didn't say something "like it was a joke" apparently.

New Threads

Top Bottom