• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

So I've begun my fasting Journey/habit.

Which is it?
Two days a week? (Total of 8 days in a month)
Or 2 days per month, which would equal...two days.

Fast, how?
No animal flesh?
No food at all?

Yes, l am interested. I am trying to stay within a certain hour range, but l am a nite eater, and l run, so these two habits screw me up.

I currently practice this on a monthly basis.
2 days a week. and or month.
Anyone else wanna share?
Baseline: 1-2 meals a day. Most often skipping breakfast and getting in a good 18hrs before the first meal.

If I am sick or feeling my arthritis pain flare up, I will go to once a day for a few days, then into a 3-4 day fast to decrease my inflammatory mediator release, increase my growth hormone production, and increase my dopamine. That way, I am not taking NSAIDs. Keep myself hydrated with K and Mg. Probiotics.

I will usually do a 3-4 day fast about every 8 weeks or so.

I am in sort of a "maintenance mode" with my fasting. I just watch my weight and how I feel in terms of inflammation, etc. I like the one meal a day regimen as long as I get in adequate amounts of good, healthy calories and am meeting my nutritional needs, supplementation, etc.

I Just eat one meal per day since leaving hospital not that active all I need. Warm February so walking again.
bike on rain days or cold days.

Many consider it to be fasting only if you abstain from all food and liquids, including water, but it seems most simply mean no food when they refer to fasting. I've fasted many times, usually but always with water. It can be beneficial in many ways.

Do you go keto? Or protein powder?
Most people will go into ketosis beyond the 16-18 hrs of fasting. This is where 1 meal per day regimens are good, as you can get a good 6-8 hrs of ketosis before your meal.

Protein powders, protein drinks, protein bars are usually the worst for creating a huge insulin spike. Not recommended. Protein powders are good for the immediate post-resistance training regimens when the insulin sensitivity is highest and there is a high demand for protein. Otherwise, to consume processed protein/amino acids as a general nutritional supplement are not recommended and typically will convert to sugar and fat if your body is not primed for it (post hard workout). Good for bodybuilders post workout, bad for any other use case. If you want and need protein, eat real meat, fish, and vegan protein sources where your body has to work to break it down. You won't get the huge insulin spike.

It's actually quite difficult to do "clean" keto. This idea that you can eat a bunch of saturated fats (bacon, cheeses, fatty meats, etc.) is not healthy, as saturated fats are pro-inflammatory and contribute to cardiovascular disease. MCT oils, avacado oils, olive oils are a much better alternative. Salads with these oils, and NOT salad dressings are healthy alternatives. If any food is packaged and labeled as "diet" or "low fat" or "low sugar", avoid it like the plague. It's likely full of artificial sweeteners that spike insulin.

Last edited:
Many consider it to be fasting only if you abstain from all food and liquids, including water, but it seems most simply mean no food when they refer to fasting. I've fasted many times, usually but always with water. It can be beneficial in many ways.
it would be quite difficult to do fasting without liquid.
It also helps your body go through it's natural processes.
we NEED water, I've pretty much kicked soda out.

it would be quite difficult to do fasting without liquid.
It also helps your body go through it's natural processes.
we NEED water, I've pretty much kicked soda out.

Refraining from water as well quickens the fasting process, and we also NEED food.

this.
I cannot do this every week atm.
I have stress eating problems.
I wonder if it is better to focus on your "stress eating" before engaging in scheduled fasting. I think healthy fasting requires one to have already established a consistently healthy relationship with food. Fasting may have some health benefits for those who are healthy and informed (as @Neonatal RRT has outlined several times on the forum), but it is not a healthy way to deal with disordered eating or weight loss.

I don't wish to judge anyone else's eating habits and decisions, but it is important to be very well informed about what fasting can and cannot do for the human body. With me, for example, due to a lack of discipline, information, and baseline of health, fasting leads to headaches, poor brain functioning, and eventual poor food choices (over eating or eating unhealthy things).

My opinion is that healthy fasting can only occur when someone is very stable in their mental and physical health and have an already established healthy relationship with food. Even then, I would suggest the input of one's doctor.

I wonder if it is better to focus on your "stress eating" before engaging in scheduled fasting. I think healthy fasting requires one to have already established a consistently healthy relationship with food. Fasting may have some health benefits for those who are healthy and informed (as @Neonatal RRT has outlined several times on the forum), but it is not a healthy way to deal with disordered eating or weight loss.

I don't wish to judge anyone else's eating habits and decisions, but it is important to be very well informed about what fasting can and cannot do for the human body. With me, for example, due to a lack of discipline, information, and baseline of health, fasting leads to headaches, poor brain functioning, and eventual poor food choices (over eating or eating unhealthy things).

My opinion is that healthy fasting can only occur when someone is very stable in their mental and physical health and have an already established healthy relationship with food. Even then, I would suggest the input of one's doctor.
^^This^^

Agree. If you are stressed and then reaching for "comfort food" or are "grazing" all day with packaged, processed, snack food and sugary drinks, or worse, "diet" sodas, this is the worst situation to get yourself into.

There are foods that are pro-inflammatory that actually create stress within the body, that adversely affect your hormone levels, cause weight gain, sore muscles and joints, headaches, depression, poor sleep, and so on. Research "anti-inflammatory" foods to get you on the path to some better food choices.

If you are getting irritable and hungry every 3-4 hours and are looking for food, this is a sign of insulin resistance and chronically elevated insulin levels. It can lead to metabolic syndromes and eventually diabetes, not to mention all the mental fog, headaches, inflammation, cardiovascular, kidney, and liver diseases. Research "low glycemic" foods.

Educate yourself on better food choices. There was a book published several years ago called "Eat this, not that" and basically was about giving you healthier alternatives for foods you like to eat.

Fasting has it's place, and for myself and many others, you have to slowly work yourself into it. I would recommend, at least initially, to make a log book or journal or write it on a calendar or poster board, however you want to do it, but goal-setting behaviors. Start out with 4 hours between meals, then 5, then 6, and gradually work yourself up to 12, then eventually 18, and so on. If you are stress eating and/or are insulin resistant, you need to go at this slowly. Meanwhile, transition yourself to whole foods, healthy oils, low glycemic and anti-inflammatory foods. This means your gut biome must make those transitions, as well. Give yourself some time with this, as otherwise, your body is going to feel like crap and you're going to give up on it right away. Educate yourself. Slow and steady wins the race.

^^This^^

Agree. If you are stressed and then reaching for "comfort food" or are "grazing" all day with packaged, processed, snack food and sugary drinks, or worse, "diet" sodas, this is the worst situation to get yourself into.

There are foods that are pro-inflammatory that actually create stress within the body, that adversely affect your hormone levels, cause weight gain, sore muscles and joints, headaches, depression, poor sleep, and so on. Research "anti-inflammatory" foods to get you on the path to some better food choices.

If you are getting irritable and hungry every 3-4 hours and are looking for food, this is a sign of insulin resistance and chronically elevated insulin levels. It can lead to metabolic syndromes and eventually diabetes, not to mention all the mental fog, headaches, inflammation, cardiovascular, kidney, and liver diseases. Research "low glycemic" foods.

Educate yourself on better food choices. There was a book published several years ago called "Eat this, not that" and basically was about giving you healthier alternatives for foods you like to eat.

Fasting has it's place, and for myself and many others, you have to slowly work yourself into it. I would recommend, at least initially, to make a log book or journal or write it on a calendar or poster board, however you want to do it, but goal-setting behaviors. Start out with 4 hours between meals, then 5, then 6, and gradually work yourself up to 12, then eventually 18, and so on. If you are stress eating and/or are insulin resistant, you need to go at this slowly. Meanwhile, transition yourself to whole foods, healthy oils, low glycemic and anti-inflammatory foods. This means your gut biome must make those transitions, as well. Give yourself some time with this, as otherwise, your body is going to feel like crap and you're going to give up on it right away. Educate yourself. Slow and steady wins the race.
>.< But i Ike whataburger and mcdonalds. Subway too! Burger king and wendys isn't too bad either.
Usually with a side of oreos and chewy chips ahoy

Eating processed foods may not give your body the nutrients it needs. I understand you may have a preference for this. Maybe some eggs you can even cook in the microwave, if you hate to cook breakfast? And some cottage cheese or yogurt or peanut butter for lunch?

Eating processed foods may not give your body the nutrients it needs. I understand you may have a preference for this. Maybe some eggs you can even cook in the microwave, if you hate to cook breakfast? And some cottage cheese or yogurt or peanut butter for lunch?
I know, I need to lay off that stuff. seriously.
Btw I haven't slept yet, I cannot sleep atm :/

Best I could ever handle is just going broths and salads for a week instead of any other foods. Coffee has to stay in the diet, though.

New Threads

Top Bottom