• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Snacking as a stim - need better alternatives

I tap "dance" with my feet when I sit. My hands are usually busy, if not typing then holding a book. Also, casual isometrics.

Yeah, I can't stop fidgeting either. Apparently it can burn a sizeable amount of calories per day. Hence the snacking perhaps.

Ed

I have been dealing with the snacking problem for the past year myself, just eating stuff to keep myself busy or just cause I’m bored , I try to eat healthier stuff but it ends up being junk food.

So snacking is definitely one of my stims. It seems like I focus better at work when I'm snacking on something - like it's okay for my hands to be busy typing because my 'stim energy' is redirected to chewing.

I've even noticed that I snack as fast as I work. When I'm really focused on something and working fast, I'm also eating at a furious rate.

I can eat a whole bag/box of <pretty much anything> without even noticing that I am doing it, because I'm focused on something else.

Then I get full and want to go to sleep. Or I get indigestion. Or I'm not hungry at dinner time.

So I need to come up with some better alternatives. My favorite snacks are oreos, peanuts, pringles, licorice, or keebler fudge stripe cookies. For any of those, I have to make sure to only put a limited amount within arms reach, or I'll eat to the point of getting uncomfortable without realizing it.

I've tried gum and it's not really my thing. I also like hard candies - atomic fireballs, lifesavers, etc, but I can't have those any more because I will chew them without thinking, and I've cracked a few teeth doing that.

So, any other snackers out there? Does anyone have any suggestions for something that doesn't fill you up too fast, and also won't break your teeth?

I snack like this also, and have tried to stop. I end end clenching my teeth, and breaking dental crowns. I just had two crowns replaced, bottom and top molars on one side. (Does anyone else do this?)

Because I seem unable to control this, I try to have peanuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds handy to snack on. These are at least healthy snacks. If I have to have chips, I have low sodium and low fat chips and Doritos. I know this is bad, but I have difficulty controlling myself.

Took two days off from work so this will help and l will be much calmer. So l have vegetables that give me a chewing motion and relieve that stim of moving my mouth. Just get agitated at the amount of men who are looking for free domestic help in my state and l can obsessively think about it. I deal a lot with l need a girlfriend- you will do. Just had a guy tell me at volunteer job that he sits outside when there is housecleaning chores going on. Of course he was looking for one. Where is that bag of chips, l need them, lol.

I am visiting my mother (which is stressful) and am eating all kinds of stuff I would no normally eat. My excuse is that I am in a different country and all the things I cant usually get and want to eat are sweet

If it's just the chewing - gum.
When I'm driving and starting to get tired chewing helps me wake up.

Celery.

It's hard work, full of water and fibre and can take an eternity to finish one cleaned stick.

I love to hate it.
There's so much to crunch and chew thoroughly your jaw may ache :)

I'm addicted to crunching.
Helps me concentrate,
can be soothing,
and overrides that ten minute body timer that's supposed to tell me when I'm full.

Celery.
A champion amongst vegetables and may very likely take you three days to eat :)
23-things-people-who-get-grossed-out-easily-just--2-2918-1463405238-8_dblbig.jpg

You could try ry-krisp crackers (unleavened rye bread crackers) or matzo crackers. Both are very crunchy, low calorie and low carb. I like to make pico de gallo as a dip because it is healthy raw vegetables or cut some small cubes of a hard cheese like sharp cheddar or Swiss or Gouda to eat with the crackers. Or smear some cream cheese on the crackers and top with jalapeno or olive slices.

When I quit smoking, I used barbecued potato chips to help break the mouth addiction - I'd put one spicy potato chip in my mouth, kind of suck on it to slowly absorb the salty spicy flavor, then chew/swallow the chip. Weird, but it worked for me.

When I quit smoking, I used barbecued potato chips to help break the mouth addiction - I'd put one spicy potato chip in my mouth, kind of suck on it to slowly absorb the salty spicy flavor, then chew/swallow the chip. Weird, but it worked for me.

If it works, it's not weird.

I'm addicted to crunching.

That's my issue. I need the chewing/crunching activity without actually ingesting calories.

My father-in-law crunches ice. I don't know how he still has teeth.

If it's just the chewing - gum.
When I'm driving and starting to get tired chewing helps me wake up.

I might have to try gum, again. What I really need is a gum that crunches.

But not this:
SimpsonsNutsAndGum.jpg

Chewable jewelry with really crunchy Sound bites, we should take this to Shark tank show, any angel investors reading this, lol.

So snacking is definitely one of my stims. It seems like I focus better at work when I'm snacking on something - like it's okay for my hands to be busy typing because my 'stim energy' is redirected to chewing.

I've even noticed that I snack as fast as I work. When I'm really focused on something and working fast, I'm also eating at a furious rate.

I can eat a whole bag/box of <pretty much anything> without even noticing that I am doing it, because I'm focused on something else.

Then I get full and want to go to sleep. Or I get indigestion. Or I'm not hungry at dinner time.

So I need to come up with some better alternatives. My favorite snacks are oreos, peanuts, pringles, licorice, or keebler fudge stripe cookies. For any of those, I have to make sure to only put a limited amount within arms reach, or I'll eat to the point of getting uncomfortable without realizing it.

I've tried gum and it's not really my thing. I also like hard candies - atomic fireballs, lifesavers, etc, but I can't have those any more because I will chew them without thinking, and I've cracked a few teeth doing that.

So, any other snackers out there? Does anyone have any suggestions for something that doesn't fill you up too fast, and also won't break your teeth?

Maybe replace it with something else, like a stress ball?

If you just like the feeling of chewing, maybe get a "chew toy" or other toy you can chew on (of course not eating it but just chewing it)?

Okay - I've made preparations. Tomorrow it's carrot sticks and gum (but not at the same time).

Also, I've prepped a slightly larger breakfast than usual, so I hope to not be very hungry before lunchtime.

I like chunky, soft food. I take big bites and eat really fast. Not on purpose, but it's how it's always been.

New Threads

Top Bottom