• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Snacking as a stim - need better alternatives

Did your plan work @NervousRex?

Maybe 50% successful.

I packed a bag of carrot sticks one day and completely forgot the other days. I ate those carrot sticks in no time at all. Yesterday, I got hungry in the afternoon and bought junk food from the vending machine because I hadn't brought anything.

I've used gum twice, but the rest of the time I totally forgot I even had it (e.g. while I was walking to the vending machine).

I think I'm best off not snacking at all, so I think gum will be my best option. I just have to do it enough that it becomes an option that I actually think of when I want to munch.

I also got the diet, caffeine free version of my favorite soda (since I've been off caffeine for 46 days), but that quickly became my "munching" and I had 4 cans in one day.

I need more discipline all around.

Discipline comes with practise.

Gum is great for chewing.
personally gives me really bad gas :)

Go for progress, not perfection.
Half the amount of munch you might usually consume and up your step count.
(I remember you mentioning you had a fitbit in a different post)
for example,
walk to the vendors three times. The first and second trip is to up your step count,
the third trip is to buy your munch :)

Another tip I recently came across online. Which I'm applying to myself. If you feel that you need a snack, wait five minutes and then you'll know if it was necessary or not. If the desire for a snack is still there, then have the snack, if the 'want' is gone then don't.

So snacking is definitely one of my stims. It seems like I focus better at work when I'm snacking on something - like it's okay for my hands to be busy typing because my 'stim energy' is redirected to chewing...

So, any other snackers out there? Does anyone have any suggestions for something that doesn't fill you up too fast, and also won't break your teeth?

Many people eat to relieve stress. I recommend getting a stress ball. Squeezing it may help as much as snacking.

I can't nibble on small bites. I have to have a big bite, and I always cut my food very chunky.

I'm constantly snacking on something. I started to cut down on the snacks and the candy, and even started going to the gym and eating healthier in general. But then we were quarantined, and the gyms closed, and I fell back into the habit.

I want to cut back again, snacking on mainly healthy snacks like granola. I've also started getting into string cheese. Peeling it gives my hands something to do in between nibbles, which I enjoy.

New Threads

Top Bottom