• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Small vent

mysterionz

oh hamburgers!
V.I.P Member
I worked six days back to back with yesterday being the last of the six days. I felt like I was super close to experiencing shutdowns several times while on the clock. We can’t wear or use headphones while on the clock for obvious reasons and we can’t linger in the break room or be on our phones (unless given permission). My main triggers are any loud noises like babies/toddlers/young children screaming (I know that our non autistic counterparts handle this differently to where it isn’t a disturbance). I end up covering my ears and walk back and forth for a bit. I’ve also had some comments made by other customers/coworkers (in good faith of course, usually referring to me not wanting kids).

where I work I’m not the only employee that is disabled/has a disability (invisible or not). What should I do?

Last edited:
First up, I would definitely say enjoy your day off! Do everything you can to rest and recharge and have you time today.

Do you have to work such a schedule - six days like this? That seems like a lot and would be difficult for me without a break in there.

Also, is there a trusted supervisor that you could speak to about some of your issues and possibly work out some accommodations? Sometimes the rules are there for the masses, but can be tweaked a little bit if someone has a specific issue.

I hear you about the babies. Even though I try to set it up so that I won’t be waiting in the waiting room for my doctor, I got stuck pretty close to it the other day waiting and waiting with a child screaming at their parents. Every logical piece of my brain was saying not to worry about it, but my nerves were on fire and I too was pacing and squeezing my eyes shut in the hallway. Obviously, that didn’t make the noise any quieter.

Last edited:
Also, you may be already doing this, but make sure you are partaking in all of the breaks that are afforded to you. I actually forget if you live in the states or not, but I’m pretty sure that here for every four hours of work you need at least a 15 minute break and for every eight hours worked an additional 30 minutes.

Last edited:
I worked six days back to back with yesterday being the last of the six days. I felt like I was super close to experiencing shutdowns several times while on the clock. We can’t wear or use headphones while on the clock for obvious reasons and we can’t linger in the break room or be on our phones (unless given permission). My main triggers are any loud noises like babies/toddlers/young children screaming (I know that our non autistic counterparts handle this differently to where it isn’t a disturbance). I end up covering my ears and walk back and forth for a bit. I’ve also had some comments made by other customers/coworkers (in good faith of course, usually referring to me not wanting kids).

where I work I’m not the only employee that is disabled/has a disability (invisible or not). A new lady was interviewed recently that relies on a wheelchair to get around/navigate day to day tasks. What should I do?
That sounds really challenging to deal with if things are back to back and you’re close to having a shutdown whilst working. Does your boss know about your ASD? Is there a way to make some accommodations for you to be able to have more time to lower the chance of you shutting down? I don’t know what you work as, and I don’t know what your requirements are but maybe if it really gets too much, you could slip in some ear blockers for a short time, count to 20 and resume? I get the not be on your phones thing but surely if you are able to have the accommodation from your boss that you could maybe slip in some ear blockers, count to 20 and go somewhere “safe” to calm down for a short time and go back into it, then maybe it works? If you’re having comments made about you covering your ears and walking back and forth, then maybe it depends on the comments but one day someone will complain that is not in good faith, and your boss may be a lot harsh to you.

Ask for some additional accommodations. If your boss is good and helpful, maybe this will happen.

A wheelchair is a bit different because it’s one of the more visual disabilities. I would not compare her to yourself.

Also, you may be already doing this, but make sure you are partaking in all of the breaks that are afforded to you. I actually forget if you live in the states or not, but I’m pretty sure that here for every four hours of work you need at least a 15 minute break and for every eight hours worked an additional 30 minutes.
Where I work, you are guaranteed a half hour break if you work five hours or more (18+ employees) but sometimes you can get a break if your shift is 4-4.75 hours. A computer does all of the scheduling, so there are moments where employees can end up with an hour long break on a four hour shift, or only half hour-45 minutes on a long shift (7+ hours or more)

Rules are different for minors and mini minors though as minors can only work up to 3.50 hours before a half hour break is required while two breaks are required on longer shifts (6.75 hours or more from my experience) below is a chart that illustrates the rules I discussed.
5EFC9A34-E4E1-4289-BF2F-4A254A1A3225.jpeg

Last edited:
That sounds really challenging to deal with if things are back to back and you’re close to having a shutdown whilst working. Does your boss know about your ASD? Is there a way to make some accommodations for you to be able to have more time to lower the chance of you shutting down? I don’t know what you work as, and I don’t know what your requirements are but maybe if it really gets too much, you could slip in some ear blockers for a short time, count to 20 and resume? I get the not be on your phones thing but surely if you are able to have the accommodation from your boss that you could maybe slip in some ear blockers, count to 20 and go somewhere “safe” to calm down for a short time and go back into it, then maybe it works? If you’re having comments made about you covering your ears and walking back and forth, then maybe it depends on the comments but one day someone will complain that is not in good faith, and your boss may be a lot harsh to you.

Ask for some additional accommodations. If your boss is good and helpful, maybe this will happen.

A wheelchair is a bit different because it’s one of the more visual disabilities. I would not compare her to yourself.
I agree with the last point.

I'd suggest thinking about other types of work and getting out of retail. I don't know you very well and don't know what sorts of things you have aptitude for, but there will be other jobs out there that are much more suitable for you and probably better paid as well.

That really sucks Erika. When I was your age I worked in a bookstore. Once they scheduled me for closing, then a 7 AM meeting, then I had to come back again in the afternoon. Kind of infuriating, especially with trying to manage my college work. (I could have technically been there three times in one day, depending how long closing took.)

Perhaps if you talk to a manger you could get permission to wear headphones as a work accommodation. If you're willing to take them off when a customer needs help I don't see why it has to be a big deal.

Or, as @Outdated suggests, maybe a better work environment. Finding appropriate work as an Autistic person can always be hard, but I think at your age it's really tough. Most jobs for young people really aren't good fits for us.

I'd suggest thinking about other types of work and getting out of retail. I don't know you very well and don't know what sorts of things you have aptitude for, but there will be other jobs out there that are much more suitable for you and probably better paid as well.
I’ve been thinking about applying to work at Hobby Lobby or Michael’s (both arts and crafts stores) but idk how my mom and dad would feel about it as michael’s is a half hour drive from my dad’s house while hobby lobby is only fifteen minutes or so.

Looks like Michaels allows for more freedom of expression as when I went into Michaels the last time I saw some employees with LGBTQ pins and pronoun pins, and my dad even called the cashier that had their pronouns set on their badge as “he/they” a “she” simply because the individual was born with female privates. I don’t feel comfortable entering that Michaels location with my dad if he’s going to misgender non cisgender employees (person that does not identify with the sex they were assigned at birth, cisgender means one identifies with their AGAB)

Quitting my job and putting my two weeks in isn’t an option unless I applied for a job already. I’ve been trying to convince my managers to let me cross train into produce or grocery as well.

I’ve been thinking about applying to work at Hobby Lobby or Michael’s (both arts and crafts stores) but idk how my mom and dad would feel about it as michael’s is a half hour drive from my dad’s house while hobby lobby is only fifteen minutes or so.

Looks like Michaels allows for more freedom of expression as when I went into Michaels the last time I saw some employees with LGBTQ pins and pronoun pins, and my dad even called the cashier that had their pronouns set on their badge as “he/they” a “she” simply because the individual was born with female privates. I don’t feel comfortable entering that Michaels location with my dad if he’s going to misgender non cisgender employees (person that does not identify with the sex they were assigned at birth, cisgender means one identifies with their AGAB)

Quitting my job and putting my two weeks in isn’t an option unless I applied for a job already. I’ve been trying to convince my managers to let me cross train into produce or grocery as well.
Beware of Hobby Lobby, Love. I have a feeling you will not like the organization.

Unfortunately I’ve heard of controversy thanks to them + being as bad as CFA. It’s the only craft store that’s closest to me in my area, or I shop off of Amazon/blick art materials or convince my dad to drive half an hour out to Michaels. Several art YouTubers I watch mention that they stay away from hobby lobby due to the controversy and only go when it’s necessary. I doubt my parents would believe me though.

Unfortunately I’ve heard of controversy thanks to them + being as bad as CFA. It’s the only craft store that’s closest to me in my area, or I shop off of Amazon/blick art materials or convince my dad to drive half an hour out to Michaels.
I understand.

Do you have a driving license?

That will open up so many opportunities for you. Here’s one more bit about hobby lobby. Considering what you’ve shared about your thoughts on LGBTQ+ issues, it just seems like a bad fit to be an employee there.

July 2014: On the heels of the Hobby Lobby ruling, faith leaders send a letter to the White House urging to be exempt from laws prohibiting LGBTQ discrimination​

FILE PHOTO: LGBT rights activists gather to try to march for a pride parade, which was banned by the governorship, in central Istanbul, Turkey, June 30, 2019. REUTERS/Murad Sezer/File Photo

LGBT rights activists gather to try to march for a pride parade, which was banned by the governorship, in central Istanbul Reuters
Shortly after the Supreme Court ruling, religious group leaders banded together to send a letter to the White House calling for an exemption from Obama Administration policies that prevented discrimination on the basis of sexuality. Using the decision and the precedent from the Hobby Lobby case as its catalyst, the group urged autonomy in hiring and operation decisions.

"While the nation has undergone incredible social and legal change over the last decade, we still live in a nation with different beliefs about sexuality. We must find a way to respect diversity of opinion," said the letter.

Further reports have found that David Green is a massive donor to the National Christian Foundation, a non-profit religious organization that includes anti-LGBTQ efforts as part of its platform.

Don't be too strict with your dad, I would probably have made the same mistake because I don't know what it means. For example a he/they badge, I don't know what that is or why people wear it. I don't wear a badge. Your dad probably doesn't know either, these things are very new.
It’s basically a pronoun pin. Recently, it’s been a thing for ppl to introduce themselves as “hi, I’m ____ and I use _____ pronouns” or wearing a pronoun pin. My dad is from the boomer generation. It’s prob a bit much from me on my end. In recent years, many have been encouraged to put their pronouns at the end of emails to encourage inclusion among others.

DAE51833-1306-430E-BC1E-C235DA05B2C2.jpeg

I promise I am not like PC Principal from South Park, who was created to satirize social justice warriors and PC people.

My primary goal in life has been to avoid retail and customer service work. I've been successful thus far!

Would do a cleaning job? Like one where you go in an office after working hours and work alone or with a couple other and clean the place. You wouldn't need to deal with customers and i am pretty sure you could wear headphones too.

New Threads

Top Bottom