• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should you tell your employer about your ASD?

In an ideal world, we'd be able to disclose our autism and we wouldn't be judged or discriminated for it. But since this is far from an ideal world, "autism" is a dirty word to many employers. Even if it's technically illegal to not hire someone on the basis of disability (at least here in the States), employers still do it. Not all employers are educated on the subject or willing to be educated and they may hold harmful outdated views on it. Just for that, I wouldn't tell them unless you're sure it will impact your job performance in any way. And, if you do choose to tell them, try to tell them how it may positively impact your performance in the job.

i'm looking for work now, and working wit a coach.

She told me to rather than telling them, to write what kind of environment i would like to work in in my cv

I wouldn't disclose it at the interview, but often, at interviews, they ask you what you think you major strengths and weaknesses are, and then you could mention some of your (autistic) strengths and weaknesses, without directly saying you have autism.

Yes because their is help avalble to aspies. In job and when getting a job.

Yeah but I know from experience that actually getting that help's like pulling teeth, you have to literally jump through several hoops before they'll even talk to you.

I suspect that there is still a lag in the US.

The US is currently two different countries. In a big city it is much more likely someone knows a person on the Spectrum, and has some knowledge. A college town can be good, or any other place with a vibrant art community. A tolerance for Difference.

Then there is the Other Country. It prizes conformity above all, suspicious of anything the slightest bit different, and full of prejudice and hatred.

The US is currently two different countries. In a big city it is much more likely someone knows a person on the Spectrum, and has some knowledge. A college town can be good, or any other place with a vibrant art community. A tolerance for Difference.

Then there is the Other Country. It prizes conformity above all, suspicious of anything the slightest bit different, and full of prejudice and hatred.

Yes, I think this is largely true. Where I live and work is almost a hybrid of the two, it is a fairly small city in a mostly rural area, and I told my employer because while I work mostly in isolation from everyone else, I interact with colleagues regularly, and the concern was that on days when I was getting over-stressed, they would observe very different behaviours from me than usual as I tried to self-regulate. I have had nothing but total support and kindness from them all since, and they observe the colour of wristband I am wearing, and respect that. Disclosing my autism has actually made my job easier and given me better ways to target my workload.

But it is a city with a large art community, and major colleges, and I agree that these elements do tend to result in rather better tolerance.

Thank you for making that point.

I wouldn't recommend you to say about your autism while interview.

But if they accept you can let them know you're autistic. I don't think they'll fire you only for that. Especially when they see you're doing good work.

I wouldn't recommend you to say about your autism while interview.

But if they accept you can let them know you're autistic. I don't think they'll fire you only for that. Especially when they see you're doing good work.

In the UK, they can't directly fire you for having a disability, and technically being Autistic IS a disability, if they did fire you directly for that, then technically you could sue the pants off them under the 2010 Equality Act for discrimination, but the problem with that IMO is that the onus is on YOU to prove you were discriminated against, which sadly means most cases don't go anywhere.

Now I have a diagnosis I tell them, sometimes even pre-interview. That way they a) can't claim I didn't inform them so have no leg to stand on if they refuse to accommodate, and b) it weeds out the d**ks that discriminate because I don't want anything to do with them anyway.

YMMV however.

I'm getting ready for an interview with one of my favorite restaurants that I frequent and know some of the staff, this would be my first job. I don't know how wise it would be to let them know I'm autistic.

A. It could prevent my employment
B. It could help if I'm in a particularly troublesome situation

It seems to depend on who you tell. The more educated they are, the smarter they tend to think that you are. If I tell someone educated, then they think I am smarter than I am. If I tell someone less-educated, then they think that I am unintelligent.

Doctors, lawyers, and engineers seem to think that I am smarter than I am, for example.

[Taking notes] has the useful side effect of making me extremely precise . . ..

I pick up on word usage that my coworkers miss. I can often predict unspoken intent by listening to the words that are used and the words that are not used.

My coworkers and I had a week of training sessions for ~60 insurance agents (~50% brand new) ran by the client. Most of the material is never used and the vast majority should never be committed to memory (we are insurance agents, they are not, they write our training material, and they miss the most basic of items). When the trainers were not in the room, I pointed out to the class that they were using (or not using) certain words and thought that the test at the end would allow us to use our notes. As a result my class scored the highest ever, and the client was impressed. One trainer sat down, visibly stunned . . . it was interesting.

"This test will not be open book." Then the next day "Make sure that your are taking good notes." Something like that, but the signals were all there.

The managers had a competition going for who's class did the best (I think for bragging rights). I felt a little bad for ruining the "experiment" as each year they take turns helping the classes.

Last edited:
I'm getting ready for an interview with one of my favorite restaurants that I frequent and know some of the staff, this would be my first job. I don't know how wise it would be to let them know I'm autistic.

A. It could prevent my employment
B. It could help if I'm in a particularly troublesome situation

No, no, and did I mention, no?! Do NOT tell them unless you absolutely HAVE to.

They can and WILL use it against you negatively.

I put on the online application form last week for Royal Mail that I have AS and other disabilities yet I still have that interview next week.

So it's not all bad.

I am looking for some of your experiences in disclosing your apsie/ASD status to your employer. What happened, how did it go, what was requires on your part?

I would not tell it. And I have not told to anyone about my ASD superpowers. I am 100% sure it would turn against me when things get hairy. Maybe even before. Even liberal / educated people tend to fear something that is not mainstream, they just hide it better. Only if you have a familymember or a close friend with special powers it is considered OK or even great.

I disclosed another disability. Accommodations I get help both my autistic ways of being and the other disability.

Update: In my interview I told my employer about it, and was hired. Then again, the position I interviewed for is non-customer service, so any weaknesses that come as a result of having Asperger's don't hinder my performance in the work place. I would also add that I directly addressed my AS at the point in the interview only when it became relevant (when asked about why I chose to apply for that particular job position over a position that deals more regularly with the general public, after which I began to emphasize the strengths I intended to draw upon in the position I applied for).

So it really comes down to good discretion. It comes down to your individual strengths and weaknesses, whether or not it is illegal for them to discriminate against people with such a disability, and what job you're interviewing for, among other things. You'll have your own experiences. But personally, I strongly suspect that not telling my previous employers about AS has been among my greater mistakes in interviews - whereas, telling my current employer about it has thankfully worked out in my favor, and in theirs, too.

New Threads

Top Bottom