• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should I stay or go?

Markness

Young God
V.I.P Member
Should I stay on this forum and keep posting or should I go and disappear from the web? I am just really despondent about the disappointments I’ve had to go through this year so far and I still don’t have a girlfriend. I fear my life is set in stone despite my attempts to change things and love will never enter my life.

Should I stay on this forum and keep posting or should I go and disappear from the web? I am just really despondent about the disappointments I’ve had to go through this year so far and I still don’t have a girlfriend. I fear my life is set in stone despite my attempts to change things and love will never enter my life.
Keep posting. You might find good advice.

Everyone has had a difficult year, keep trying, you never know when things will turn around

And learn how to be thankful for even the smallest things in life, start small

It seems to be a nice forum with lots of kind, understanding members. So maybe don't rush into leaving.

I'm sorry you had so many disappointments. Something good will surely come your way soon.

I say you should stay. If the world is a cold place for you, do you find this a warmer space?

I don't know why you need to leave here. Maybe you could just visit a little less often but develop some new places to be. The Internet is endlessly fascinating. Join another forum (Reddit has zillions to choose from). I have half a dozen places I rotate among, and sometimes I don't log on to any of them.

By staying, I feel you will learn from many going through the same frustrations as you, and you will get support there, and you can pick up some helpful advice in the forum that you have not thought of before, and that you have not tried before.

I was recently diagnosed with High Functioning Autism (Autism Spectrum Disorder), and I was like you in many ways, as it was not until my thirties even that I started dated. I learned a lot through those times alone, through much self-analysis, analysis of others in relationships, and through studying people.

And I learned much even through the failed dating attempts, dating experiences, and from now the long-term marriage relationship I have been in.

I would like to sum up a few basics of what I learned, through those relationship attempts, failures and/or successes.

(1) It's harder to find a friend or date if one cannot be regularly seen or heard in a positive way.

Go to a combination of specific places (in the public, through the internet, at home, etc.) that interest you, and where you feel most yourself. When you talk to those others there through in-person, writing and/or phone, focus on doing and sharing the things you enjoy and are good at, more so than trying to be places you cannot stand, or talking about many negatives. Otherwise, you will meet more persons not compatible to you or that will avoid or shun you.

Everyone has real or perceived negatives, but those with friends and in successful relationships often do not advertise these more than they have to, as they know it's a turnoff and not very constructive, if that other wants to be around persons that can mostly show that other more positive side. Talking problems is good for support and advice, but not too helpful when communicating with potential mates.

(2) These days, 'Dating,' and even that specific term alone, creates too much stress for many persons, especially those with conditions or less experiences there, or that had more perceived failures there. The more anxiety and stress or fear one shows because of such, the less opportunities that will occur, if those others see or sense that.

Focus less on trying to find a date, and more on just trying to learn more about many persons to see if any could be a match, in terms of personality, interests, abilities and/or relationship needs. See a successful relationship as often like more of a step-by-step progression, going from strangers, to acquaintances, to friendship, and only then to some physical relationship (short or long term) if the other feels the same too. Being too pushy or jumping over those steps rarely creates longer term success.

(3) Once one is friends with another, and if the other sees them as one too, after each showed a regular pattern of friendly reciprocal efforts, interest and likeness for the other over time, do not assume the other wants more than friendship, and especially if they have not hinted at or stated wanting more than that. They may either just need more time, or be not interested at more than friendship.

(4) Initiation though needs to occur at some point, for at least one of the two, to go from being a friend (if that was the case first) to some other relationship. There will be pros and cons of that. Rejection could occur, or acceptance of that one's wishes, depending on the interest and fit for more than friendship.

If one does not want to lose that friendship, I would not initiate wanting more than that unless that other suggested or hinted at wanting more than that, as t could adversely affect the friendship, or lead to its end. Usually if the other friend is interested, in some type of other relationship after adequate time as friends elapsed, they should initiate hints at that or state an openness to that wanting more.

This is because these days, no longer do things happen always the traditional ways as in the past. More women are working outside of the home, and more men are working in the home. More men are being the caregivers, and more women are being assertive. Whether anyone likes these changes or not, it is opening the door for more opportunities for both genders, and it allows more to be themselves.

(5) Too little of confidence and negativity turns off most potential friends and dating others, unless the other had strong empathy skills and helping desires, but extreme confidence, namely arrogance, turns off usually the nicer persons. It turned me off; I know that. Try to find that right balance.

If you need to get more healthy confidence, or think more positively, you may need to research how best to do that, in the ways best for you. Putting forth that effort and then acting there to achieve should not only make you healthier and happier, but it will go along way then to creating more opportunities for you.

(6) Focus on your efforts, and learning from your mistakes, experiences or perceived failures, instead of focusing on the results. Great, or regular efforts, almost always will result in better results, than lesser efforts or if one had repeated the same mistakes, if the efforts were a part of realistic, step by step plan.

Once you have the energy, belief and motivation to follow a goal or dream, and ability to adapt to blocked paths or changes along the way, it's far easier to reach our goals and get our needs fulfilled in life.

(7) Find some positive from every real or perceived bad experience you had/have. And visualize daily often positive things about you, and positive outcomes of bad experiences to replace those real experience failures.

Having Autism or some condition can be very hard, yes, but with the right attitude, effort, medical help, support, direction, we all can find happiness I feel, and define success in our own ways too.

(8) As positive as I am, I am a realist, so one should never assume relationships are mostly good than bad, or that they are as glamorous or exciting as advertised. For many persons, many find happiness, but many others found their relationship experiences as overrated, or less satisfying than expected.

Perhaps they just did not find the right person, or they just feel that relationships are too much effort.

So, the final point I would like to make is,

(9) Do not settle for anyone. You could have much more anxiety and stress with taking on their daily problems, and because of any lack of compatibility.

If you think your problems are many now, they could be magnified if abuses and neglect occurs in the relationship, and if pressure is on you to change or to work somewhere you cannot to support the spouse, or if you are expected to do things you cannot.

And if divorce occurs, or if children are involved, any failed relationship could be unbearable there for these reasons too. So, relationships are not for everyone, as many find more peace and less responsibility being alone, or if you have not found the right someone it may be better to find other happiness until that compatible other is found.

Last edited:
By staying, I feel you will learn from many going through the same frustrations as you, and you will get support there, and you can pick up some helpful advice in the forum that you have not thought of before, and that you have not tried before.

I was recently diagnosed with High Functioning Autism (Autism Spectrum Disorder), and I was like you in many ways, as it was not until my thirties even that I started dated. I learned a lot through those times alone, through much self-analysis, analysis of others in relationships, and through studying people.

And I learned much even through the failed dating attempts, dating experiences, and from now the long-term marriage relationship I have been in.

I would like to sum up a few basics of what I learned, through those relationship attempts, failures and/or successes.

(1) It's harder to find a friend or date if one cannot be regularly seen or heard in a positive way.

Go to a combination of specific places (in the public, through the internet, at home, etc.) that interest you, and where you feel most yourself. When you talk to those others there through in-person, writing and/or phone, focus on doing and sharing the things you enjoy and are good at, more so than trying to be places you cannot stand, or talking about many negatives. Otherwise, you will meet more persons not compatible to you or that will avoid or shun you.

Everyone has real or perceived negatives, but those with friends and in successful relationships often do not advertise these more than they have to, as they know it's a turnoff and not very constructive, if that other wants to be around persons that can mostly show that other more positive side. Talking problems is good for support and advice, but not too helpful when communicating with potential mates.

(2) These days, 'Dating,' and even that specific term alone, creates too much stress for many persons, especially those with conditions or less experiences there, or that had more perceived failures there. The more anxiety and stress or fear one shows because of such, the less opportunities that will occur, if those others see or sense that.

Focus less on trying to find a date, and more on just trying to learn more about many persons to see if any could be a match, in terms of personality, interests, abilities and/or relationship needs. See a successful relationship as often like more of a step-by-step progression, going from strangers, to acquaintances, to friendship, and only then to some physical relationship (short or long term) if the other feels the same too. Being too pushy or jumping over those steps rarely creates longer term success.

(3) Once one is friends with another, and if the other sees them as one too, after each showed a regular pattern of friendly reciprocal efforts, interest and likeness for the other over time, do not assume the other wants more than friendship, and especially if they have not hinted at or stated wanting more than that. They may either just need more time, or be not interested at more than friendship.

(4) Initiation though needs to occur at some point, for at least one of the two, to go from being a friend (if that was the case first) to some other relationship. There will be pros and cons of that. Rejection could occur, or acceptance of that one's wishes, depending on the interest and fit for more than friendship.

If one does not want to lose that friendship, I would not initiate wanting more than that unless that other suggested or hinted at wanting more than that, as t could adversely affect the friendship, or lead to its end. Usually if the other friend is interested, in some type of other relationship after adequate time as friends elapsed, they should initiate hints at that or state an openness to that wanting more.

This is because these days, no longer do things happen always the traditional ways as in the past. More women are working outside of the home, and more men are working in the home. More men are being the caregivers, and more women are being assertive. Whether anyone likes these changes or not, it is opening the door for more opportunities for both genders, and it allows more to be themselves.

(5) Too little of confidence and negativity turns off most potential friends and dating others, unless the other had strong empathy skills and helping desires, but extreme confidence, namely arrogance, turns off usually the nicer persons. It turned me off; I know that. Try to find that right balance.

If you need to get more healthy confidence, or think more positively, you may need to research how best to do that, in the ways best for you. Putting forth that effort and then acting there to achieve should not only make you healthier and happier, but it will go along way then to creating more opportunities for you.

(6) Focus on your efforts, and learning from your mistakes, experiences or perceived failures, instead of focusing on the results. Great, or regular efforts, almost always will result in better results, than lesser efforts or if one had repeated the same mistakes, if the efforts were a part of realistic, step by step plan.

Once you have the energy, belief and motivation to follow a goal or dream, and ability to adapt to blocked paths or changes along the way, it's far easier to reach our goals and get our needs fulfilled in life.

(7) Find some positive from every real or perceived bad experience you had/have. And visualize daily often positive things about you, and positive outcomes of bad experiences to replace those real experience failures.

Having Autism or some condition can be very hard, yes, but with the right attitude, effort, medical help, support, direction, we all can find happiness I feel, and define success in our own ways too.

(8) As positive as I am, I am a realist, so one should never assume relationships are mostly good than bad, or that they are as glamorous or exciting as advertised. For many persons, many find happiness, but many others found their relationship experiences as overrated, or less satisfying than expected.

Perhaps they just did not find the right person, or they just feel that relationships are too much effort.

So, the final point I would like to make is,

(9) Do not settle for anyone. You could have much more anxiety and stress with taking on their daily problems, and because of any lack of compatibility.

If you think your problems are many now, they could be magnified if abuses and neglect occurs in the relationship, and if pressure is on you to change or to work somewhere you cannot to support the spouse, or if you are expected to do things you cannot.

And if divorce occurs, or if children are involved, any failed relationship could be unbearable there for these reasons too. So, relationships are not for everyone, as many find more peace and less responsibility being alone, or if you have not found the right someone it may be better to find other happiness until that compatible other is found.

Very great advice. What l noticed is that anybody can have a hard time meeting people. And at any given point, half of us don't want to meet anybody. So factor the odds and realise you do need to put yourself out there by working, volunteering or going to the gym. Then you need to ask a 1000 woman out. If one woman says yes, that is success. But be prepared for rejection. So many woman work and are so tired by the time we come home.

Please forgive my "ignorance", but I hope this make you laugh because your subject title post just makes me not stop thinking of this song!

As a new comer myself, I too agree you should stay. In fact I’ll take it a step further. No doubt you feel alone and like no one understands you, the thought crosses my mind many times, but this forum and these people showcase that is not the case. If you are searching for friendships, this is a place to find some.

Love will come to you, it will be a struggle, more so than for most (this I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt), but with help and knowledge you will lead a full life

Very great advice. What l noticed is that anybody can have a hard time meeting people. And at any given point, half of us don't want to meet anybody. So factor the odds and realise you do need to put yourself out there by working, volunteering or going to the gym. Then you need to ask a 1000 woman out. If one woman says yes, that is success. But be prepared for rejection. So many woman work and are so tired by the time we come home.

Well, I have worked for 15 years now and it’s never led to a relationship. I volunteered before I worked but I didn’t even make friends. I’ve been discouraged from approaching women at the gym because apparently women are scared of strangers and just want to exercise. The only exception is apparently if the man is super attractive but if I did it, it would be considered unwanted.

Sorry. I think woman are less approachable in general. But it's more survival instinct. It's not so much you, we are afraid of random acts and worry we may be targeted. I was almost gang raped twice in my life. In another country, and in America. Just recently, l was seriously harrassed by a maintenance older guy that was extremely pushy to the point l started getting frightened. A lot of woman go thru stuff like this and it shapes our thinking.

Sorry. I think woman are less approachable in general. But it's more survival instinct. It's not so much you, we are afraid of random acts and worry we may be targeted. I was almost gang raped twice in my life. In another country, and in America. Just recently, l was seriously harrassed by a maintenance older guy that was extremely pushy to the point l started getting frightened. A lot of woman go thru stuff like this and it shapes our thinking.

I was told I had to make the first move if I wanted a relationship which always put a lot of pressure on me because I was scared of being told “No.” since I didn’t like being rejected even for lesser stake things.

In life, we have to be okay with disappointments. Some of it is luck. Your best bet is interest groups, speed dating, or if you have the money, you can hire an in-person match making service or a dating coach. I've considered a match making service, but it looks like I'd have to have about 3k+ which is more than tough for me.

Totally get that. l fear rejection too. Woman have the same fears. Some guys say they ask a 100 woman out on dates because, if 1 says yes out of 100, it's a success. So just start talking to woman everywhere you go. Talk to older woman, they may have daughter, to your age group, those woman may have single friends. If you just talk, then you have side stepped the rejection right away.
. I think it's a trait peculiar to our tribe and it can really hold you back in life. So what if someone rejects you, they have been rejected at some point in their life. If you write books for a living, there are authors that received a zillion rejection letters and finally got published and are famous authors.

Markness, people have been telling you for years that you will have more success at romance when (a) you move away from your horrible, emasculating (literally!) harridan of a mother, (b) you have a larger and more diverse group of people to be exposed to, and (c) you develop independent living skills and the confidence that goes with them. Now I'm sure you will reply with the litany of excuses you always use, don't bother, I'm not interested in hearing them. Maybe several dozen people telling you the same thing are all wrong?

These things are the minimum bare necessities for you getting that girlfriend you so desire.

New Threads

Top Bottom