• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi guys the story is that me and my girlfriend have been trying to move into an apartment for awhile now and the only thing stopping us is finding a job. I've been successful in getting interviews, but no job yet. I talked to the landlord (He actually got me one interview) and said how he's willing to give us the apartment at a discount till I get a new job, forgot to mention that I'm wanting to move and get a job in a different state, he (so do I) thinks it would be easier to live in the same state to get a job, but is it smart to do? I guess it depends on how much he's willing to take out of rent right?

Hi there, stigmatic

Ok, so my personal opinion is to wait until you get work, even if it does mean losing the apartment.

I am not American and have never been there, but from what I gather, it would seem wise to indeed live and work in the same state, as I believe states in American are huge?!

The thing is to my mind, is if you took this landlord's offer up, suppose you can't find work? Would the landlord continue to show kindness and let the rent be discounted for, what could seem a long time?

e, he (so do I) thinks it would be easier to live in the same state to get a job, but is it smart to do? I guess it depends on how much he's willing to take out of rent right?

It depends. I live on the southern border of Nevada and a lot of our teachers live in Arizona and come across the state line to teach at my school. I personally don't see why they're living in Arizona. Yes ... the communities they're living in are more developed and have more housing choices and shopping opportunities but to my way of thinking this is offset by the length of their daily commute. Since I live in-state, I'm FIVE MINUTES from work ... and some of my colleagues are 30-45 minutes from work (1 to 1 1/2 hour round trip).

Since I live in Nevada there is no state income tax. My colleagues who work in Arizona have to pay the Arizona state income tax since Arizona requires residents to pay taxes on their income regardless of whether this money was earned in that state or not.

As to whether or not you should be a local when applying for a job ... that really depends upon the job. People in professional careers such as doctors, nurses, engineers, certified public accountants, and teachers may often apply from out of state. Service oriented jobs such as restaurant employees or hotel staff should generally be local.

The answer also depends in part upon the projected start to work date. How quickly can you relocate? Employers will not be very understanding if you don't show up to work on the scheduled date because you still haven't found a place to live.

As to whether or not you should be a local when applying for a job ... that really depends upon the job. People in professional careers such as doctors, nurses, engineers, certified public accountants, and teachers may often apply from out of state. Service oriented jobs such as restaurant employees or hotel staff should generally be local.

The answer also depends in part upon the projected start to work date. How quickly can you relocate? Employers will not be very understanding if you don't show up to work on the scheduled date because you still haven't found a place to live.

I'm with you on this. It mainly depends on the job. I've had low/no skill jobs where being able to start in the next five minutes was what landed the position. Other times they were hiring a special skill rather than a person and willing to make more allowances.

I would have to agree with what they are saying. Wait until you get a job and then move. I live in southern Idaho and there are people who work at my work from south east Oregon. That is about a 45 to 1 hour drive one way. It can get tiring for them. They told me so. If I were you, once I got a job, I would move close to it so I didn't waste gas and so forth.

New Threads

Top Bottom