• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should I Give Up On My Aspie Husband?

Wow, you really nailed it, Suzanne! Your posts are always so clear and crisp and you never have a scrap of bs, even when the truth required brutal honesty. I wish I could be less fake. I still dance around and never get to the point. Grrrrrrr.

I never thought about it that way. He was being honest, but to an NT (Eden, this is not a slam on you), our honesty looks like lies! Oh, I have had this so many times I cannot count and THAT is why I had to fake so many times.

Eden, it is true, what Suzanne is saying. He may have been being honest.

We are like mirrors of NTs. If you think we are lying, we probably just told you the truth. And if you think we told the truth, we may have had to say something false to make those we love happy.

It is not a LIE, it is to stop all the confusion and not even on purpose. We are sensitive, not harsh. The idea we are harsh is simply untrue.

This is a very interesting thread.................

I could be flat wrong, but I am trying, too.

Thank you, OkRad; does boost my confidence up a load of notches lol

I am deeply into psychology and that is why I "nailed it". But, please do not berate yourself, because you do not come across as fake or dancing around a subject.

I have also been online for many years now and found that my thoughts flow so much clearer from head to fingers and have the ability to touch type and fast and so, can say a lot in a small amount of time and actually that has been my undoing, because I am told to slow down, but lol has become an "attraction" to the opposite sex in the past :eek::rolleyes:

I find that I go from knowing absolutely nothing about a subject, to knowing every thing about a subject ( when it interests me). Sadly, completely the opposite when something holds no interest for me.

ps, I felt I could not like etc, your post, because that seems a tad arrogant, so please take this: :)

he's been relatively content being alone the last five years; he's gotten used to it.

You raise a very interesting point here, because I came to see that marriage is a mistake for me. But too bad, because I am married lol. But I find that I am too dependant in my marriage, to the extent, that when we are out together, if he did not pull me to safety, I would be run over or hurt myself in some other way, because I fail to take notice of things around me. It is like I become a child.

Whereas the few times I had to do things on my own, I did succeed and very alert to my surroundings. So I do get your husband, but well, and here is a "plus" for you and "minus" for him. He IS a father and thus, has an automatic responsibilty and thus, he does need to learn to think beyond his world.

Eden,

to you, and your husband if you wish to show it to him:

I am a man, with Aspergers, in a stable happy marriage. My wife is NT. Much of what you relate is familiar regarding routines and vacillating between feeling inadequate and wanting/needing to be together.

I, too, am content to be alone. I establish a routine, it is familiar and comforting and breaking from that routine is overwhelming emotionally. Throw love and sex into the mix and my head starts spinning. I, too, want and need to be with my wife. I love her and we have a life and routine together. Though it is not the same and brings daily challenges that being alone does not present. In order that our relationship "work" and both of our needs are met we have some "rules" we follow.

Separate bedrooms. Though it is wonderful to cuddle and canoodle, the "space" I need to process and decompress is afforded by having a private space to sleep and think. And when I stay (or wake up) emotionally troubled, it doesn't wake her up.

Tell me what you want/need. I told my wife, even before we got married, "I won't remember birthdays or anything like that. If you need/want a present you have to say it explicitly." Which has led to more than one phone conversation that goes, "can you stop on the way home from work and get... and I need a little something." I get a flower or card or cute little stuffed animal, and the act of doing that is a demonstration of my feelings of affection for her. Her having to tell me does not "ruin the moment", as it were. Less surprising, but her needs are being met, and usually these times lead to quiet time with us just talking about our relationship and feelings. She needs a hug, she says "come hug me". She needs to be cuddled, she tells me. There is less uncertainty for me, or guessing, about what she needs or wants and less internal doubts about "am I being an adequate husband?"

I tell my wife I love her, every day. Regardless of how I am feeling, because I do love her, and it's important that she knows that whether I had a good day or bad, that I do.

On her side of things, she has come to understand that I am not going to be a warm, fuzzy, "movie romance" kind of guy. She understands that me being in the room means that I am showing my positive feelings for her. We often are together in the same room, but "doing our own thing" and chit-chat over minor things. "oh we need...", "did you see that news story about...", whatever. While it comes across badly in writing, it actually provides us engaged, intimate, time together.

True, my wife and I have a sort of unusual marriage, compared to traditional expectations. But that is what they are, expectations. It is not about meeting some externally imposed "roadmap"... it is about finding what works for YOU, both of you, and then doing that.

Reliable, honest, trustworthy, loyal...it was really hard to let him go, but I was so unhappy and he just refused to talk and I felt unloved and rejected

I don't mean to be rude so don't take this the wrong way but i will be blunt. Maybe he isn't the problem. In your post there is a lot of focus on him needing help. Him seeking diagnosis. Getting treatment. To fit your insecurities that he may never fill. Because it's likely a you problem. Him having all these short comings for not being 100% perfect while you listed traits that many, many, many people look for in a partner and never find. Reliable. Trustworthy. Honest. Loyal. It's a very one sided perspective and i wonder what he would say if he had a chance to speak to us openly. You get divorced and he even sticks around. After sleeping together after you divorced i don't know any guy who wouldn't have doubts after. You feel hurt that he slept on the couch for a couple days after? I'm sure he's felt more hurt when you choose to break the marriage. Not for a couple nights but for the last several years.
"Now with the prospect of being with me, he seems all stressed out about it and thinking about his shortcomings and going back and forth about what to do, making himself crazy. And me too. "

I wonder who put all those shortcomings in his head...
You force them onto him, then in turn it comes back to you.
Not a huge mystery.

Have you considered that you're self sabotaging or even ever considered that there is something wrong with you?

Again not saying it to be rude but based on your post and it's contents this is something you need to hear and explore. See a psychologist with the focus on yourself instead of blaming him to get more insight into yourself. Then cut the cord or tie it back together. Don't string him along like this.

Furthermore if you do want it work instead of asking a bunch of strangers If You Should Break Up With Your Aspie Husband... look into the condition study and research it. Aspie's, in some cases tend to express affection different than neuro typicals.

Last edited:
Reliable, honest, trustworthy, loyal...it was really hard to let him go, but I was so unhappy and he just refused to talk and I felt unloved and rejected

I don't mean to be rude so don't take this the wrong way but i will be blunt. Maybe he isn't the problem. In your post there is a lot of focus on him needing help. Him seeking diagnosis. Getting treatment. To fit your insecurities that he may never fill. Because it's likely a you problem. Him having all these short comings for not being 100% perfect while you listed traits that many, many, many people look for in a partner and never find. Reliable. Trustworthy. Honest. Loyal. It's a very one sided perspective and i wonder what he would say if he had a chance to speak to us openly. You get divorced and he even sticks around. After sleeping together after you divorced i don't know any guy who wouldn't have doubts after. You feel hurt that he slept on the couch for a couple days after? I'm sure he's felt more hurt when you choose to break the marriage. Not for a couple nights but for the last several years.

Firstly, the focus is on him here today because this is an Aspie board and I'm presenting past and present facts in order to elicit advice. Never said he was the problem, nor did I say or infer that he needed to be 100% perfect for me. What I did was paint a picture of the place from which I was operating from during my marriage 5-10 years ago when neither of us knew he was an Aspie. It's a long complicated thing and I can't post everything that happened here. I didn't post how he would literally sit in silence when I spoke to him. How for years I tried to get us into marital counseling and he wouldn't go--wouldn't say why, just wouldn't go. You don't know what it feels like to live that way for YEARS. AS or NT, it sucks. I didn't up and run off one day. I tried and tried and tried and tried. And genuinely thought his lack of effort meant he didn't want the marriage or me. So the notion that I was selfish and just left this great guy because I couldn't get what I wanted, perfection, is waaaay off. I felt alone in my own home. Most relationships don't end for lack of love. A person can be all those things I listed and it still not be right, for whatever reason. I made the best decision for myself and my children at the time. I did not want them to see me unhappy or bitter and pass that on to them. That mattered to me more than having the illusion of a good marriage and family.

I also did not say that I require him to get a diagnosis or counseling in order to be with him. I want him/us to do whatever is necessary to be successful. If he feels that's therapy, great. And someone here has also suggested the same. I don't see what's wrong with that. Had we gone 10 years ago maybe we would have stayed together. Idk. But hey, I'm open to whatever. What I won't do is label myself or him as "the problem" when it is we two in this thing together. And regardless of whether one is AS or NT, it does take the commitment of us both. Again, my only confusion/struggle present day is his willingness to go forward with me, and my ability to be patient while he works it out for himself.

He "stuck around" because we have children. He's an active parent and can't go two days without seeing them. He lives for them. He "stuck around" bc after the divorce we reverted back to being the friends that we were when we started. Because in spite of our sad ending, we respect and love each other as friends, if nothing else. Our families are close, we have mutual friends, we're both in the same industry. Why wouldn't he stick around? Yes, I felt hurt he slept on the couch because I was operating under the assumption that we were moving forward, and him doing that confused me, yes. I'm human. Maybe next he'll tell me that he doesn't like sleeping in the bed w/ me every night and would like to be on the couch a few days a week. Idk, but I'm not a mind reader and we have to keep talking. Hurt feelings happen when u dont communicate. The idea that I have no right to feel hurt because I hurt him more by divorcing him is unfair, and incorrect.

"Now with the prospect of being with me, he seems all stressed out about it and thinking about his shortcomings and going back and forth about what to do, making himself crazy. And me too. "

I wonder who put all those shortcomings in his head...
You force them onto him, then in turn it comes back to you.
Not a huge mystery.

Never said that his stress/doubts aren't valid. Of course, he has misgivings. It's presumptuous of you to say that I forced shortcomings onto him. I wouldn't even call them shortcomings. I think he's amazing! I'd say they were/are challenges. Challenges that he presented to me for the first time LAST WEEK in the interest of full disclosure because he wanted me to know what I was potentially signing up for. So I'm playing catch up, too. Again, remember, he NEVER discussed these things with me before. So I'm like a kid in a candy store now. I love that he's talking. It's hard for him at times to find the right words to say what he wants to say, but he's doing it. I feel like as long as we're talking we can do this! Granted, a failed marriage is a blow to one's self-esteem--his and mine--so yeah, we're both gun shy and want to make sure we're doing the right thing to avoid hurting the children.

Have you considered that you're self sabotaging or even ever considered that there is something wrong with you?

Again not saying it to be rude but based on your post and it's contents this is something you need to hear and explore. See a psychologist with the focus on yourself instead of blaming him to get more insight into yourself. Then cut the cord or tie it back together. Don't string him along like this.

Now, here, you're onto something. lol Yes, I actually have considered that I am self-sabotaging bc I'm scared. I have a history of things I've really wanted not working out, including this marriage. So I can see how I might be projecting my fears onto him, contributing to his confusion. I panic when I think I'm about to be hurt and I look for reassurance. I feel really needy right now and have to find ways to soothe myself. I don't have a problem identifying my weak spots. If anything, I welcome it bc I want to overcome them and be the best version of myself I can be. It's easier said than done though and I thought I'd learned to balance my emotions, but this relationship is putting that to the test. I may need to sit down with someone and work some of this stuff out some more. I can admit that. I'm not perfect but there is nothing wrong with me clinically. Of this I'm sure.

I'm not stringing him along. We've been a part of each other's lives since the divorce but he's had his own life too -- a rich, satisfying life in many ways. As have I. He travels and performs with his band and has worked steadily in a managerial position for 10 years (until recently). We've never kissed, had ex-sex, or even discussed being together in the years we've been apart until last month. I even had a brief relationship after him. I'm sooo not stringing him along. Again, he is not the problem. We are both trying to work out our feelings and fears. He's not a victim.

And please dont assume I'm not devouring all I can on this subject. I have an Aspie son and the education never stops.

I just wanted to clarify because I know that the perception of how NTs see Aspie's is a mixed bag and I don't want to give the impression that I think he or anyone is less because they are an Aspie. I love this man, wholeheartedly.

Last edited:
Please check my recent posts and blogs, maybe you find something there to enlighten you. I am you, my ex is your ex, and I see many similarities.

In the movie "He's not that into you", they say that if you are wondering if he is into you, it means he is not. A guy that is into you doesn't make you doubt. I agree.

Now, that's the theory. Putting that to practice is something else. I stayed together for the last eight years of my marriage, in spite that my husband didn't love me (three years dating, 15 of marriage).

When I started having my doubts about him, I couldn't do anything about it (I was pregnant). Four years ago I realized, without a doubt, that he didn't love me, but I convinced myself that I was going to make him change his feelings.

I asked him to separate six times, and he always asked for a chance, and I gave it to him, until nine months ago, when he said he loathed me. Still, I gave him another chance. We are separated now.

I don't know if you have reasons to go back with him that you didn't talked about here. But if your post is complete, and that's the whole picture, I would say, loud and clear: run away, fast and very far.
Neurotypical males are socially "allowed" to be angry, but weaker emotions are frowned upon. If you are not taught or encouraged to express other feelings how will a neurotypical male preform up to expectations of a marriage? It is like you are asked to take a test but had no material to study. Now make the male a neurodiverse someone who is missing the natural social guesses like eye contact, facial expressions, tone of voice. The difference is almost night and day. The neurodiverse person's chance would drop dramatically if forced into the same test.

That is my theory. I don't think the situation is fair to him.

Hi All,

I'm new here. I have a 13-year-old son who was diagnosed with ASD when he was 5. His dad and I divorced in 2012, initiated by me, because of lack of communication and emotional intimacy. We had been together for 12 years, married for 8. He's a great guy. Reliable, honest, trustworthy, loyal...it was really hard to let him go, but I was so unhappy and he just refused to talk and I felt unloved and rejected. So for the last few years we've been raising our children and although divorced, have maintained a pretty good relationship. He's still close w/ my family, here for every holiday, and even spends nights here to be closer to the children. We've even taken family vacations together once a year. He's a great dad and provider.

Three years ago when my son went in for a re-evaluation, my ex realized from talking to the doctor, that he is probably on the spectrum too. Unfortunately, he didn't pursue diagnosing at the time. Last month we finally sat down before the new year to talk about our divorce. I felt there were some things I needed to say, questions I wanted answered about us. He's very shy, but surprisingly, was able to communicate his feelings and answer some of my questions. Feeling buoyed by his growth and willingness to communicate--something he refused to do when we were married--the subject of possibly getting back together came up. I mean, we spend so much time together as it is and I still love him, and have been single for the last three years. In my heart, he's still my husband.

So, we said we'd see if we could spend more time together to foster those feelings again, as it's been a while since we've behaved as a couple. So we've been watching TV together sometimes and he invited me out to breakfast two weeks ago. Last week he came into my room shyly and laid down in the bed with me. We talked a little and just cuddled. Was so nice. He then slept in the bed with me for two or three nights. (We've been careful so as not to confuse the children until we know what this is). Well, one night we ended up making love. I could have waited, but the vibe was right and it just happened. (He told me he hadn't been w/ anyone since our divorce).

Well, after the sex, which was nice, he started being weird. The next evening he went back to sleeping on the couch two nights in a row, and I was really hurt. We had a small fight about it and he revealed that things were moving fast for him. Five years apart, he said, with no inkling that we would ever get back together, and now we're spending time and sleeping in the same bed and he just felt overwhelmed and needed a chance to think and see if this is "100% the right thing." I was hurt, but in my newfound understanding and respect for who he is, I said okay. I mean, going slow is fine as long as we're moving forward, I thought. We agreed, for now, no more sleeping in the bed together, and no more sex and more space.

That was about a week ago and he still seemed distant so we talked again yesterday and he said that it occurred to him that something may be wrong with his emotions. That he has internal mood swings. That one day he feels "oh, wow, this is great, a dream come true, this feels really good", but then next he feels "trapped" or worried that he will disappoint me and that he doesn't have the basic skills to be in a relationship. That what if it doesn't work out and then I blame him and the good relationship we've had during our years apart is destroyed? Then what if he blames me for even bringing up the topic of getting back together? He's had a routine for five years, he said, working on his music and going everywhere alone, and only OCCASIONALLY feeling "Man, I wish I had someone." So basically, he's been relatively happy without me. But, he says, there's another side of him that doesn't want to be alone for the rest of his life, and getting back with me may be his only shot to be in a real relationship. And he thinks of how great it would be to tell our friends and family that we're back, and all that. He goes back and forth on these two positions in his mind. An "internal conflict" he calls it. And he can't seem to land on either side of it to make a decision to move forward with me: to A, possibly pursue counseling to get a diagnosis and understand more about this and get tools for himself and us as a couple, or just drop the idea of getting back together and continue his solo existence. It's only been one month since we've attempted trying, so maybe this is alot for him all at once.

And here I am, this sensitive, heart on her sleeve kind of individual, just sort of stuck. I was excited at the prospect of putting my family back together, because I never really understood why we couldn't work it out. My kids would love it so much and I love him dearly. Up until this last discussion, I thought our biggest challenge would be re-acclimating ourselves and me adjusting my expectations based on what I understand about him now that I didn't when we were married. But it would seem, with his confession about the mood swings, I don't know what to think. Is this a lost cause? He's a reserved quiet guy and so sweet. I'm not worried about him lashing out; he doesn't do that. But living with someone who may wake up one day and feel trapped being with me and not tell me...

Even though he realized three years ago he probably has Asperger's, he hasn't done anything to find out what it all means. He doesn't even know that there are people out there who have successful relationships with people like him. I think he just assumed he'd be alone for the rest of his life anyway, so he was ok with not doing pursuing a diagnosis. Now with the prospect of being with me, he seems all stressed out about it and thinking about his shortcomings and going back and forth about what to do, making himself crazy. And me too. He's also without a job for the first time in 10 years and worrying about money and taking care of the kids...so he's stressed. I asked him if it's possible he's overthinking all this -- bc, i know from dealing with my autie son, there's a tendency for OCD-like thoughts. He said, "possibly". I don't know if I should take what he's saying at face value and give up on the idea of being with him or what. I guess I'm wanting to know if some of the things he's saying sound like typical Aspie fears or should I see them as red flags and let the idea go. What should I expect for him to do at this point? Because "I don't know" and "possibly" are not real answers. Any advice or insight would be welcome and appreciated.

I'm so sad today and I'm not ready to have my heartbroken again.

Eden.
I think you said yourself. That he improved since the last time you were together. Nobody figures out everything at once. If I were you I would rather take a chance then walk away never knowing whether it would have suceeded. To me that question would continually be in the back of my head. What if?

@Eden
First I want to say I think you are a really good, kind, thoughtful and loving mother and partner and your husband is extremely fortunate to have you in his life. To those who have attacked you, I don't know what they were reading or even IF they actually read your posts. It seems to me there is often a kneejerk reaction to automatically attack any NT who posts about their relationship with an Aspie regardless of what they say! Quite often there is justification, but in your case there absolutely was not!

I think @wight gave you a great deal of really helpful insight and advice which you may be able to put into practice.
It appears to me that what is causing you the most distress is the insecurity you are experiencing as a result of your husband vacillating back and forth. I don't believe it is because he doesn't love you or want to be 'with' you, but perhaps not in the same way you would like or expect.
It is totally possible for an Aspie to feel love, commitment and responsibility towards their wife and family and at the same time feel somewhat smothered and overwhelmed by the close and constant proximity and expectation of being in that relationship. Essentially we just need to create some space and 'alone' time. This is often very hard for others to understand.

The fact that your husband has actually been pretty happy with the arrangement you have had over the last few years, indicates to me that he has been getting nearly all his needs met. So when things became more intimate and 'close' again he became scared he would not be able to cope with losing his space and alone time. The fact that he hasn't had another partner in all this time indicates to me that sexual intimacy may not be a priority for him, although pleasurable enough when it happens. The fear of losing his space is a bigger priority.

So what to do and where to go from here? Would you consider being in a committed relationship, even a marriage without actually living together? This may be the perfect solution to your dilemma.
Frankly it would my idea of heaven!
You can still have all the advantages of being in a committed relationship, like holidays, family time, intimacy, both physical and emotional support etc. without him feeling suffocated. I know it's not conventional, but if it works for both of you, who cares!
The downside of course, is maintaining two homes, but you're already doing that anyway! Just my two cents worth.

Whatever you decide, I hope it works out for both of you. :)

I thought I would post this, Eden, because this is just some of the things I would be thinking in your husband's situation. (pardon the use of "husband", it is the most convenient term of reference). That is, losing my job, rekindled (possibly) romance with my ex, and all the other things you have describe:

Life sucks, lose my job just as Eden and I are... whatever this is... why would she want me? How will I provide for my family? AAAAAHHH!!!!!!! How am I going to find another job? What if I asked Eden if I could move in, that we aren't paying for two households? What if she says no? What if she doesn't want to, does that mean she doesn't want me, but what if she says yes, does that mean she does, or that she is taking pity, and how will it work, where will I sleep, what will I do with my stuff, what will happen to my routine and life, I'm so confused, I better not say anything about it. I want to be with her, I still love her, at least I think what I feel is love but it doesn't seem like this is what other people when they talk about love, and its scary and if I admit I'm afraid of what will happen, she might not like it, I'm not ready to talk about all that, I don't think, maybe if she brings it up first, but she probably won't, and in any case, I just lost my job, why would she want me anyway...[start at the beginning]

Around and around. Of course, there would be personal details in there and detours down different trains of thought, but it would eventually come back to the beginning again.

When I get caught in these sort of loops, I'm just a mess. Looking back at it afterward, I find it mildly amusing that I was so wrapped around the axle about things that usually turn out to be relatively simple to resolve.

Discovering about autism in adulthood is a very lonely journey. I bet he is going through introspection and reflecting how his life choices were impacted by ASD. He might be wondering how things could have been different. But there is always a chance to accept, move on, and improve. Give him the support he needs, and enjoy every moment of your relationship with less expectations.

My married life isn’t perfect, im an aspie woman whose discovery process is similar to your husband. The journey is more like a midlife crisis with self-loathing and a feeling of injustice. I think life is just too good for NTs. I move on and redesign my life, while taking care of my son with severe autism. I’m happy that my husband is a very cheerful and optimistic man and he can read all of my expressions. He tells me everytime my avoidant tendencies resurface. Sometimes, i cant help it, it is like a reflex, an automatic response to move away from other people. Too much social exposure can be exhausting, no matter how prepared I am.

You may introduce your husband to this forum, and the seasoned members here will give him a good orientation.:)

We're kind of being very very hard on Eden. I understand why you're offended, but I don't think she means any harm. I think she just doesn't understand what it's like to be an Aspie. Which is why she's on this site. Because she is willing to learn.

We're making A LOT of assumptions, too. She's not saying things like "Aspies are liars" or anything like that. She is just misunderstanding her ex-husbands actions.

Sounds like he's got masses of worries going through his head which he will think about to excess, now without work he's most probably feeling even more inadequate, worrying that he won't be-able to do what's expected of him if he gets back together. Also changes to routine can be very stressful. After having sex all these worries most likely flooded in because for many people having sex means they're together in a relationship and it has an important meaning. Unfortunately he may struggle to talk about how he feels and also to show his emotions like other people which can make things a lot more difficult for yourself.

You really should be together however as it sounds like you both love each-other and it would be just wrong if this didn't ultimately happen, especially when you have a child together that you both also love.

There has got to be a way of compromising. It might sound crazy, but perhaps you could even get back together gradually without as much pressure as before, rather than in one big sudden change that he probably fears. It might not be truly what you want and you would be making allowances so it's up to yourself, but it might work and perhaps develop into even more as time goes on. You would still have to speak to him however, it's probably best at a time and place he feels most comfortable.

Best of luck! :)

i am on the spectrum, and my wife often brings up many of the issues you have mentioned, but:
- she knows that i am a good person and has accepted that no one is perfect, that while i may have shortcomings in some areas, they are compensated by my strengths
- most likely as a result of my autism, i am resistent to change because it takes me out of my comfort zone, takes away my safety net of control and i also start worrying about everything that can go wrong due to that change which makes things overly complicated for me. also i am quite aware and always tend to blame myself if something goes wrong which makes things even worse, my wife has learned to accept that this has NOTHING to do with how i feel about her, and she helps me see that the benefits versus the risks, and that if things go wrong that we can deal with it, it takes a lot of patience on her side
- she has accepted that i need time alone, that this is not me being 'distant' but me being exhausted, she realises that this is not a criticism of her in any way, but just that i get tired more quickly from normal things than others do, that i need time to get comfortable with things and that i need the extra quiet to function

so in short:
- your husband's behaviour that is causing you to feel insecure, most likely actually has nothing to do with you, is in no way a judgment of you, but most likely just your husband's coping techniques, talk to him, explain why you feel bad and what you need, he will likely feel very guilty, reassure the guy, respect his needs but ask that he respect yours, talk
- being on the spectrum, i often feel threatened by situations that i have no control of or am uncertain of the outcome of, again it has nothing to do with the nature of the change, but the knowledge that it will involve skills that i am not necessarily good at (dealing with new things, leaving a situation that is under control to go to a situation with an uncertain outcome, etc)

tips:
- i am very aware of what goes on in my head, so i initiated an open dialogue with my wife, where i can say what is going on with me and why i am resistant to certain things etc. It's not easy, it is often a two step process, i get stuck in my way of thinking until i realise that i am being 'unreasonable' and am ready to listen to her, it is not easy for her, but everyone has their issues and she is not always reasonable either, it's called being human - remove guilt, judgment from the equation and focus on setting goals and steps to get there

- she has learned that i express emotions differently, and she has learned to see that and appreciate it, i have had to learn that she needs me to be certain things as well and i do my best to live up to that, i never feel the need to go out and spend time with people, but i know that she does, so we compromise

- it's all give and take, and each partner needs to be able to accept the other the way they are, take the good with the bad, you can't enjoy the good and then expect your partner to conform to all your other wishes, you have too be able to accept the person for who they are

by the way, maybe he is acting this way because it is really important to him and he is just really scared of screwing it up, so he is trying to quantify the 'problem', ie the risks of losing everything by progressing versus the happiness he has now

it's the old 'start dating a friend' quandary, do you risk a friendship that makes you feel happy to start a relationship that may destroy everything and leave you with nothing, multiply that by 1000 and you probably approach the complexity of what is going on in his mind

he is probably scared out of his mind to lose the most important people in his life, i would be

take that fear away and maybe things will go better

Hi Eden,
Please don't give up yet on your aspie. I'm mostly NT (ADHD with intermittent depression) and have an aspie husband that loves me more than anything. We were married a year after his diagnosis, and it took many years for me to actually accept and understand him (we've been married almost 10 years now). Not only accept, but actually love and appreciate him for who he is. I can't believe how long I spent feeling that he was only with me because he felt I was the only one he could "get". I put that on myself - while he did say things that I interpreted that way, he really meant that he couldn't see himself with anyone else. You see, a lot of aspies aren't going to be able to feed you the smooth line that you want (and sometimes need). I get it.

I would suggest that he find a therapist in the area that specializes in autism - not that he's mentally ill necessarily, but my aspie goes to a therapist every other week who helps him make sense of some of these kinds of questions in his life. It will help him so much to see that it's just a neurological difference and not a medical disorder. There are concrete, and trust me they need concrete, suggestions on how to handle difficult (mostly social) relationships in their lives. But you do have to make sure that it's a therapists that knows a lot about and respects people on the spectrum. Most therapists know VERY little about it, and might even think he's some kind of deviant. Yes, this happened to my husband before I met him.

I spent years trying to push my husband away for not providing "my needs" even though I loved him, but you know what? I discovered that he has his own sweet, subtle ways of showing his love for me. He is so stable, and devoted to me that I cannot help but be devoted to him too. He was absolutely willing to try to communicate better, and since he's very intelligent, he learned to do some of those things that I needed. One piece of advice - be very direct, sincere, and concrete with him. If you want flowers, if you've been dropping hints for him to plan a weekend get away, if you want him to talk about his work, or maybe shut-up about some interest he's going on and on about.... just tell him directly.

Just remember, he is lost in the NT romance world, and actually, he's opened my eyes to how much BS we NTs expect from relationships and what we "assume" each other should know... aspie or not! I'm glad he finally got me to stick around. He really is my better half.
Best wishes...

@Eden
First I want to say I think you are a really good, kind, thoughtful and loving mother and partner and your husband is extremely fortunate to have you in his life. To those who have attacked you, I don't know what they were reading or even IF they actually read your posts. It seems to me there is often a kneejerk reaction to automatically attack any NT who posts about their relationship with an Aspie regardless of what they say! Quite often there is justification, but in your case there absolutely was not!

I think @wight gave you a great deal of really helpful insight and advice which you may be able to put into practice.
It appears to me that what is causing you the most distress is the insecurity you are experiencing as a result of your husband vacillating back and forth. I don't believe it is because he doesn't love you or want to be 'with' you, but perhaps not in the same way you would like or expect.
It is totally possible for an Aspie to feel love, commitment and responsibility towards their wife and family and at the same time feel somewhat smothered and overwhelmed by the close and constant proximity and expectation of being in that relationship. Essentially we just need to create some space and 'alone' time. This is often very hard for others to understand.

The fact that your husband has actually been pretty happy with the arrangement you have had over the last few years, indicates to me that he has been getting nearly all his needs met. So when things became more intimate and 'close' again he became scared he would not be able to cope with losing his space and alone time. The fact that he hasn't had another partner in all this time indicates to me that sexual intimacy may not be a priority for him, although pleasurable enough when it happens. The fear of losing his space is a bigger priority.

So what to do and where to go from here? Would you consider being in a committed relationship, even a marriage without actually living together? This may be the perfect solution to your dilemma.
Frankly it would my idea of heaven!
You can still have all the advantages of being in a committed relationship, like holidays, family time, intimacy, both physical and emotional support etc. without him feeling suffocated. I know it's not conventional, but if it works for both of you, who cares!
The downside of course, is maintaining two homes, but you're already doing that anyway! Just my two cents worth.

Whatever you decide, I hope it works out for both of you. :)

Thank you, Fitzo. This means alot. I was really dumbfounded by a few of those comments yesterday. But I understand. I appreciate all the insight you've offered here. I've taken it all in. To answer your question, I might be open to being married to him and living apart, I THINK. At least, I'd be open to discussing the possibility. He asked for time and I offered him space, so we're not really discussing anything right now. He texted me with some small talk last night which was nice, but that's about it. So for now, I'm just gonna let it go and do my own thing. If he comes around, great. Thanks again. :)

Hi Eden,
Please don't give up yet on your aspie. I'm mostly NT (ADHD with intermittent depression) and have an aspie husband that loves me more than anything. We were married a year after his diagnosis, and it took many years for me to actually accept and understand him (we've been married almost 10 years now). Not only accept, but actually love and appreciate him for who he is. I can't believe how long I spent feeling that he was only with me because he felt I was the only one he could "get". I put that on myself - while he did say things that I interpreted that way, he really meant that he couldn't see himself with anyone else. You see, a lot of aspies aren't going to be able to feed you the smooth line that you want (and sometimes need). I get it.

I would suggest that he find a therapist in the area that specializes in autism - not that he's mentally ill necessarily, but my aspie goes to a therapist every other week who helps him make sense of some of these kinds of questions in his life. It will help him so much to see that it's just a neurological difference and not a medical disorder. There are concrete, and trust me they need concrete, suggestions on how to handle difficult (mostly social) relationships in their lives. But you do have to make sure that it's a therapists that knows a lot about and respects people on the spectrum. Most therapists know VERY little about it, and might even think he's some kind of deviant. Yes, this happened to my husband before I met him.

I spent years trying to push my husband away for not providing "my needs" even though I loved him, but you know what? I discovered that he has his own sweet, subtle ways of showing his love for me. He is so stable, and devoted to me that I cannot help but be devoted to him too. He was absolutely willing to try to communicate better, and since he's very intelligent, he learned to do some of those things that I needed. One piece of advice - be very direct, sincere, and concrete with him. If you want flowers, if you've been dropping hints for him to plan a weekend get away, if you want him to talk about his work, or maybe shut-up about some interest he's going on and on about.... just tell him directly.

Just remember, he is lost in the NT romance world, and actually, he's opened my eyes to how much BS we NTs expect from relationships and what we "assume" each other should know... aspie or not! I'm glad he finally got me to stick around. He really is my better half.
Best wishes...

Hi Kim,
Thank you. I don't wanna give up on him, but I fear it may be too late. Five years have passed since we were married and Idk if he loves me like he did. I don't think that he understands that we can rebuild what we had. Idk if he wants to do the work. He's turning all these thoughts over in his head, so I just can't tell. But I guess if it's meant to be, it will be.

I am afraid to make any suggestions to him right now regarding the disorder because Idk if he wants to know more/do more about it or not and I don't want him to think I'm overstepping. My son sees a therapist who specializes in autism and there's a psychiatrist too that we know within the specialty, so if he's ever ready, we have those resources. I know from experience how it can improve their quality of life. I just wish he felt motivated to do it; but I guess it's his choice to live his life how he sees fit. It seems like you have something really wonderful. That must feel great! I want that more than anything.

by the way, maybe he is acting this way because it is really important to him and he is just really scared of screwing it up, so he is trying to quantify the 'problem', ie the risks of losing everything by progressing versus the happiness he has now

it's the old 'start dating a friend' quandary, do you risk a friendship that makes you feel happy to start a relationship that may destroy everything and leave you with nothing, multiply that by 1000 and you probably approach the complexity of what is going on in his mind

he is probably scared out of his mind to lose the most important people in his life, i would be

take that fear away and maybe things will go better

That's the key..taking the fear away. I can't do that for him. I feel like I'm pressuring him, so I've decided to fall back.

Sounds like he's got masses of worries going through his head which he will think about to excess, now without work he's most probably feeling even more inadequate, worrying that he won't be-able to do what's expected of him if he gets back together. Also changes to routine can be very stressful. After having sex all these worries most likely flooded in because for many people having sex means they're together in a relationship and it has an important meaning. Unfortunately he may struggle to talk about how he feels and also to show his emotions like other people which can make things a lot more difficult for yourself.

You really should be together however as it sounds like you both love each-other and it would be just wrong if this didn't ultimately happen, especially when you have a child together that you both also love.

There has got to be a way of compromising. It might sound crazy, but perhaps you could even get back together gradually without as much pressure as before, rather than in one big sudden change that he probably fears. It might not be truly what you want and you would be making allowances so it's up to yourself, but it might work and perhaps develop into even more as time goes on. You would still have to speak to him however, it's probably best at a time and place he feels most comfortable.

Best of luck! :)

I agree, we should be together. We have two children. I actually thought of that, getting back together gradually. I made a mistake leading with emotion and then getting upset. We had a few disagreements. So in his mind it's probably, "Oh, and we're fighting already, I'm hurting her already." Unfortunately, I can't undue that. I regret that the sex happened now; I hadn't intended for it to happen so soon. Had I known it would send him running for the hills, I certainly would have refrained. I hadn't been with anyone in three years, so it meant alot to me. So, now I'm just kinda in limbo. *shrugs*

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom