• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should I Get A Medical Alert Bracelet?

What if I just wanted something to say "Hey, I have autism" when I meet someone? It doesn't necessarily have to be medical alert, but a little something that says so may help when dealing with starers or meeting people, and I have anxiety (yes, I have social anxiety which is why I often avoid interacting in public places, and I've even been diagnosed with anxiety as well as autism and depression.) I'm just asking because I don't want to end up getting something for nothing or seem like a showoff because I'm not trying to show off anything, but I want people to know when they come in contact with me and decide to question why I act a certain way or why I'm doing certain things. I know a medical alert bracelet would be helpful during meltdowns, emergencies, or accidents, yes, but I'm not sure if I even need one because nothing is happening right now.

What if I just wanted something to say "Hey, I have autism" when I meet someone? It doesn't necessarily have to be medical alert, but a little something that says so may help when dealing with starers or meeting people, and I have anxiety (yes, I have social anxiety which is why I often avoid interacting in public places, and I've even been diagnosed with anxiety as well as autism and depression.) I'm just asking because I don't want to end up getting something for nothing or seem like a showoff because I'm not trying to show off anything, but I want people to know when they come in contact with me and decide to question why I act a certain way or why I'm doing certain things. ImNow a medical alert bracelet would be helpful during meltdowns, emergencies, or accidents, yes, but I'm not sure if I even need one because nothing is happening right now.

You could make up a little card with a brief explanation of how autism affects you. I think you can also find pre-written ones on the internet.

I don't think anyone would think you were a show-off for telling them you have autism. Particularly not in the context where you are telling them because you are, in that moment, experiencing communication difficulties or other types of difficulties.

You could get an autism bracelet that only has something written on one side, and the other side is plain -- so that only if you chose to flip it over would anyone be able to see the message that you have autism. You could also do like @Gritches and carry something in your pocket. I think even if you had the word "Autism" written on the outside of a bracelet, most people would not notice it unless you brought it to their attention.

Maybe look at it in terms of what you have to lose versus what you have to gain. If you stand to lose nothing, even if you might not gain anything, then perhaps it's a good idea to get one.

Ultimately, though, it's up to you.

I think I should just get like a little charm or something that says "I have autism" or something like that.

In a quick situation with first responders that could easily be discarded as a form of jewelry. Which could be self-defeating. If you're going to wear something externally it's best to stick to a known convention of a medical bracelet.

The NAS in the UK do a credit card sized package for this purpose.
Autism Alert Card - National Autistic Society
Here's a regional alternative
What is an Autism Alert Card?
Another...
hackney_autism_card_front-large.jpg

Another thing I've heard of people doing, providing you have a modern smart phone (Android or iPhone) is setting the lock screen signature to state you are Autistic or any health problems you may have. Again it's something first responders are trained to check these days.

I'm inclined to think that first responders are usually quite proficient at their jobs in the medical sense. With or without identifying one is on the spectrum of autism.

Police officers on the other hand, not so much in terms of interacting with autistic citizens. But then in my country any direct contact with a police officer can be anything from positive and cordial, to hostile and lethal. Where their being able to determine if you are autistic might be to your advantage.

When I googled to get those links above, most of the hits I got for plastic, credit card styled cards, were from UK regional police forces. Seems they're being quite proactive here on that count.

When I googled to get those links above, most of the hits I got for plastic, credit card styled cards, were from UK regional police forces. Seems they're being quite proactive here on that count.

Oh envy, thy name is Gritches.

Wouldn't that just be nice.

The NAS in the UK do a credit card sized package for this purpose.
Autism Alert Card - National Autistic Society
Here's a regional alternative
What is an Autism Alert Card?
Another...
hackney_autism_card_front-large.jpg

Another thing I've heard of people doing, providing you have a modern smart phone (Android or iPhone) is setting the lock screen signature to state you are Autistic or any health problems you may have. Again it's something first responders are trained to check these days.

Actually, I should get something like that card because most of those apply to me because of my sensitivity to sound, smells, bright lights (I was concerned with driving with the sun in my face that I may get into an accident because of it.), etc. People have to be clear and specific when talking to me because I have a hard time understanding. Then I do get confused by the way people act sometimes as well as seeming weird to them. To be cheap and easy, I can just order a custom bracelet or something and engrave it with that. I could just be a normal piece of jewelry, but I can engrave it with "I have Autism" or something like that. I don't HAVE to buy a card or anything regarding medical issues.

I'm just grateful that our local police are receiving some degree of training when it comes to approaching autistic citizens. Though I'm acutely aware of how woefully deficient the nation as a whole remains along such lines of thought.

Still, I like the idea of something indicative of law enforcement appearing on such a card, apart from things like the caduceus medical symbol. Making it that more official in appearance.

Far better than anything resembling jewelry without the caduceus symbol. Though it is kind of an interesting icon in itself. Most importantly many people know what it implies.

170px-Caduceus.svg.png

Last edited:
I have a MedicAlert bracelet that is simply because I am a diabetic. I could have added autism spectrum disorder to the bracelet but decided against it. Autism isn't something really "treatable" like a classic medical condition anyhow. Unfortunately, I think listing Autism might actually draw unwanted attention.

I thought about it, but many people are unkind.

I could see people trying to egg it on, on purpose. I could see medical "professionals" testing you to see how autistic you really are.

Not everyone cares. In fact, very few people care the way you want them to. Curiosity and burnout often trump professionalism.

I thought about it, but many people are unkind.

I could see people trying to egg it on, on purpose. I could see medical "professionals" testing you to see how autistic you really are.

Not everyone cares. In fact, very few people care the way you want them to. Curiosity and burnout often trump professionalism.

I know that. I don't need anyone to tell me when someone doesn't care, alright. But if you don't care, then why are you here? All I'm asking is if it's even okay at all to even have a card or something indicating autism.

I have a MedicAlert bracelet that is simply because I am a diabetic. I could have added autism spectrum disorder to the bracelet but decided against it. Autism isn't something really "treatable" like a classic medical condition anyhow. Unfortunately, I think listing Autism might actually draw unwanted attention.

Well, you are right about that. Autism isn't anything medical. I just prefer to identify with autism as well, so people will know what to expect with me when interacting. I often get overestimated with expectations, and then people look at me like I'm retarded or something. Then people stare when they see me covering my ears to noise (like one of the rude employees, passing by, did at Walmart did when I was at the register).

I have a card in my wallet that says I have ASD. It’s an official card handed out by our national autism organization and it is only handed out after official diagnosis. I had to jump through quite a few hoops to get it, but I have it now.
I don’t anticipate having to use it (I hope I won’t) but I’d rather be on the safe side. My meltdowns are usually in the privacy of my own home, but if I would ever have a public meltdown and emergency services were to be involved, I want to be able to show them this card. And then just hope they’ve received any training whatsoever in how to deal with people on the spectrum.
I wouldn’t want a medical bracelet with that information on it, I don’t think everyone has to know.

I have a card in my wallet that says I have ASD. It’s an official card handed out by our national autism organization and it is only handed out after official diagnosis. I had to jump through quite a few hoops to get it, but I have it now.
I don’t anticipate having to use it (I hope I won’t) but I’d rather be on the safe side. My meltdowns are usually in the privacy of my own home, but if I would ever have a public meltdown and emergency services were to be involved, I want to be able to show them this card. And then just hope they’ve received any training whatsoever in how to deal with people on the spectrum.
I wouldn’t want a medical bracelet with that information on it, I don’t think everyone has to know.

I like that. It's exclusive, validated and discreet as well.

if you are having a meltdown, and are worried about police, i'm not sure the a bracelet will help, they won't be close enough to actually to read it

maybe prevention is the best solution:
- try to avoid peak hours for going to malls, restaurants etc
- earplugs and noise cancelling headphones

Given that you have some quite severe sensory issues, I'd say yes, it's a good idea. Keep it in your bag or wallet or somewhere discreet, but where you can easily produce it if necessary, or somewhere where medical staff can find it in case of emergency. You never know when you might need medical emergency treatment, or when you might be in a situation that overloads you.

I have a card in my wallet that says I have ASD. I don’t anticipate having to use it, but I’d rather be on the safe side. My meltdowns are usually in the privacy of my own home, but if I would ever have a public meltdown and emergency services were to be involved, I want to be able to show them this card. And then just hope they’ve received any training whatsoever in how to deal with people on the spectrum.
Given that you have some quite severe sensory issues, I'd say yes, it's a good idea. Keep it in your bag or wallet or somewhere discreet, but where you can easily produce it if necessary, or somewhere where medical staff can find it in case of emergency. You never know when you might need medical emergency treatment, or when you might be in a situation that overloads you.

Yeah.. That's why I mostly don't go anywhere except to class or the store (when I need to pick up stuff). The only store I can walk in with just earplugs is dollar tree because it's a small quiet store in the morning, and I can go right after class to pick up stuff like air fresheners, sanitizers, and other small stuff. The stuff for my guinea pigs is unfortunately in the torture mart...

New Threads

Top Bottom