• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should I be in therapy?

Ender

Unemployed Philosopher
I am not terribly concerned about getting a diagnosis for AS. I know I have it and that's good enough for me.

However, last year I was diagnosed by a therapist with clinical depression. I since stopped going because that therapist didn't help and made me very uncomfortable.

But these days I just try to cope on my own. I thought I could deal with this. Though I have panic attacks, get irritated all the time from a variety of triggers and frequently have terrible depressive fits of crying or staring into walls because I cannot think. I feel pathetic because of that. Not only that, but people are becoming unbearable. I spend half a day around people and the other half is spent in "recovery." I'll stim, listen to music, play a video game, do a chore or workout to distract. But I know this isn't normal. I should not be so easily overwhelmed by merely having to interact with a handful of other human beings.

So I guess what I'm asking is this. Would therapy help with my social issues? Or, is there anything I can do to not let socialization bother me so much?

Depending on the type of therapy, yes it can help. I've been doing a mixture of psychodynamic, Somatic Experiencing, Traditional Chinese Medicine treatments (accupressure and energy-healing), and learning Eastern mindfulness techniques to help me with both ASD and PTSD. This approach has worked wonders, and I'm already starting to feel like I can go work in the real world again (after 2 years of therapy)! Thankfully I have a therapist who does it all.

The most important decision is the specific approach and the person you choose to guide you in the process (the Therapist). Pick someone you can actually work with, let them know EXACTLY what you two will be dealing with, and trust the process. Good luck, and don't settle for "good enough"; find an excellent or perfect match for this.

There are (at least) two reasons that you might want to get therapy:
  1. If you are on the spectrum, it can be like NTSL [Neuro-Typical as a Second Language]. (If you can better anticipate NT interactions, it might allay some frustration and depression for you.)
  2. If your co-morbid depression is of the chemical variety, you could benefit from counseling like anyone else struggling with it. (Just be sure to find a counselor who speaks Aspie/autie, to allay further frustration.)
An official diagnosis might be beneficial to you for these two reasons alone.

Therapy can be very helpful in helping you deal with your depression, but for it to work it's vital that you feel safe and comfortable with your therapist.
If at all possible you should find a therapist that works for a large healthcare center and inquire beforehand if it's possible to switch therapist if it's not a right fit.

As for what type of therapy might benefit you, that's really dependent on who you are and where you're at right now.
During my last bout of depression I started with a daily crisis therapy during which I had to go to group therapy five mornings a week to make a plan for the afternoon and discuss the next day whether I had stuck to my planning, what else I had done and how I had felt. This was combined with 2 hours of either doing something creative, playing board games or mandatory sports. I didn't feel like this could help me at first, but it helped me get some routine back. I did this for two months, where I gradually reduced the number of visits as I was improving. Only then did I start with "real" therapy, first getting to the core of my depression and diagnosing the cause, then learning mechanisms to cope with my negative feelings and thoughts. It took me over a year, all in all, but I'm very grateful I took the time out to do this.

Both the crisis part where I had to plan daily activities and the second part, which consisted of group CBT, group assertivity training and personal Aspie therapy (which was mostly about learning about Aspergers, how it affects me and how I can make the most out of life with all its pros and cons) were hugely beneficial to me because they were planned at the right time.

If you can, get a formal diagnosis. Remember, without a diagnosis, we can be judged. With a diagnosis, we can be supported.

Being anxious. Shutdown, depressed, man sunderstood, etc. is no way to live. If you have ASD, get some supports in place! And, it all starts with that diagnosis.

There are counselors who work ONLY with Autistics. Yay!

Contact The Arc nearest you, and ask if they have an Autism NOW Center. You can do this! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom