• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Shoe laces

I don't tie my shoe laces. I tighten them to just the right tightness then tuck the excess lace in my shoe, down the side so I'm not stepping on it. I can tie shoelaces, I just don't like having them tied, no idea why.

Perhaps it is a case of: if I need to remove shoes quick, it is going to be time consuming if I tie them properly?

You must be talking about trainers?

Trainers when I was a teenager, boots now, because I only wear boots

Ahha. I never wear shoes or boots with laces. But do have plenty of things that require needing to lace up and I admit each time I do, I feel a sense of acheivment and thus, that must mean there was a time I couldn't; but the memory is lost.

wow the stuff we think on... : )

I loose tie mine and hide the "bunny ears" I hate the bunny ears they bug the crap out of me... I have done this all my known life. I just put on my shoes on so here ... BTW please don't judge my nasty work shoes or my size 13 clown feet.

IMG_0325.jpg

Eventually the boots will become slack and the laces will be annoying around your feet; even tickley. :confused:

wow the stuff we think on... : )

I loose tie mine and hide the "bunny ears" I hate the bunny ears they bug the crap out of me... I have done this all my known life. I just put on my shoes on so here ... BTW please don't judge my nasty work shoes or my size 13 clown feet.

View attachment 39206
No judgement, my only pair of boots have holes in the soles :D lol.

I don't know if its the fact my feet feel restricted when they're tied or something. All I know is I've never liked them tied lol.

I hate shoelaces too. I just got a pair of shoes with memory foam and elastic in the place of shoelaces so that they can be slipped on and off but are still snug around my feet. By far the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn.

I agree you can't escape laces in running shoes. Nothing else does the job, but they are so annoying when they come undone.

I hate shoelaces too. I just got a pair of shoes with memory foam and elastic in the place of shoelaces so that they can be slipped on and off but are still snug around my feet. By far the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn.

I agree you can't escape laces in running shoes. Nothing else does the job, but they are so annoying when they come undone.
I have velcro cycling shoes, and they work great, but running probably puts more jerky forces on them.

I do that, too! I have my running shoes which I tie with great care.....three knots to make that loop less flappy whilst running.

HOwever, when the running shoes become "daily shoes" I loose up the laces so they can be slip-on shoes and make a permament knot and cut off the excess so they don't drag all over.

I loathe velcro. I don't know why. It just seems like cheating or something??

I do that, too! I have my running shoes which I tie with great care.....three knots to make that loop less flappy whilst running.

HOwever, when the running shoes become "daily shoes" I loose up the laces so they can be slip-on shoes and make a permament knot and cut off the excess so they don't drag all over.

I loathe velcro. I don't know why. It just seems like cheating or something??
The thought of velcro shoes makes me feel bleurgh lol.

One thing that drives me nuts is the feeling of loose laced shoes. o_O

Another thing I don't like are unnecessarily long shoe laces. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've been told I don't tie my laces properly, like the actual physical act of tying them. I can't have them like @ksheehan88, because that would annoy me. I'd be constantly aware of them, but I also don't like them too tight.

I actually didn't learn how to tie my shoes until I was about 8 or 9 years old. I can remember being in preschool one day when we all had a very quick lesson on how to tie our shoes (all 20-something of us kids), and everyone else seemed to get it right off the bat except me. I was too embarrassed to ask any of the teachers for help b/c everyone understood the process right away, and even at age 4 I knew they'd be reluctant to help me b/c I was the kid who turned around and ignored everyone during circle time, had meltdowns/screamed/cried/kicked/spat b/c everything in the classroom was too bright, loud and chaotic, and even ran out of the school once or twice when I just couldn't cope anymore.

...So, for the next few years afterward, my shoes were mostly the velcro or zip-up kind. I remember these really cool elastic coiled spring-shaped shoelaces with neon coloring that didn't even need to be tied....I think those were my favorite shoe-tying work-around and I kinda miss them even now. :blush: I eventually grew out of my velcro/zip ups and my cool sproingy neon laces were prohibited due to a new uniform policy at the elementary school I attended, so it was back to lace-up shoes for me. It got to the point where the recess monitor said to me, "If your shoelaces come undone again, you need to stop running around, because I'm not tying them for you again" (this, mind you, was at a school for kids with various emotional/learning/cognitive disabilities-nice, huh? :unamused:) Nothing daunted, I resorted to what several folks have already posted about here and simply tucked my loose shoelaces down into my shoes, and for a while, it worked. I just had to tuck them in a way that the recess monitor didn't know that's what I was doing, since she'd taken it upon herself to disallow me from doing *that* too.

It wasn't until my mom set aside an hour one evening to sit down and show/teach me the mechanics of tying shoes in a way that I could understand that I finally got it. Part of me wonders why all the adults dragged their feet in teaching me this skill in an appropriate way I could grasp, with patience and no judgment, yet another part of me realizes that my mom was probably waiting until she knew that I was ready to learn that particular skill.

Last edited:
I can't stand the binding feeling of tightly tied shoes, I just tie mine loose. Except for work boots, those I lace as tight as possible since I'd be doing more than just walking in them.

But still my favorite kind of shoes are sandals. Screw laces entirely.

I just hate tying and untying and when they come loose. I just double tie, then shove me feet in and out, that loosens them eventually to a comfortable level. But whenever possible, I wear shoes without laces - I prefer leather boots and sandals.

Growing up it took me a long time to learn how to tie my shoelaces properly,at age eight I still didn’t know how to tie my shoelaces and embarrassingly I also for some reason struggle to know how to put my seatbelt on properly,though back then people thought I was just lazy but I realised now that smaller things were sometimes a struggle for me.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom