• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Shared experiences for musical about autism?

cfc

For the last few years I have been writing and developing a musical about my experiences of being autistic. I am at the stage of editing the current version, and I really want to know about some other people's experiences to make it as realistic and relatable as possible. Can anyone tell me any examples of times in social situations where they have been irrationally anxious that the other person may be angry with them or mocking them (even though this wasn't the case)?

Additionally, do you have any general times when relationships can be anxiety-inducing because of your autism?

For the last few years I have been writing and developing a musical about my experiences of being autistic. I am at the stage of editing the current version, and I really want to know about some other people's experiences to make it as realistic and relatable as possible. Can anyone tell me any examples of times in social situations where they have been irrationally anxious that the other person may be angry with them or mocking them (even though this wasn't the case)?

Additionally, do you have any general times when relationships can be anxiety-inducing because of your autism?
Interesting concept. I read the title and immediately had a mental image of a group of people on one side of a stage singing about how inclusive and accommodating they are. A single person on the other side is singing about how lonely he (or she) is and not allowed to participate. As he moves to the main group, they move away, directly contradicting what they are singing. The single person puts on a full face mask and joins the main group for a while, but then is pushed aside again. I realize this is not what you are asking, but that is how I visualize it. I'm sure most of us have something similar to say.

As for actual experiences, I cannot give you anything specific. There are lots of them, but they are all sort of melded together into one jumble. The best way to describe it is like a force field or wall. When I try to introduce myself, the stress and anxiety get stronger the closer I get. Eventually, I get brain paralysis or become incoherent. The symptoms are relieved as I move away. And yes, I would get mocked because of this.

I like the idea of presenting this as an entertainment from our point of view. My fear is, the NTs would not get it, and think they are not really like that. That being said, go for it, and keep us informed of progress.

Last edited:
If the musical is going to be a comedy, then I have some ideas.

Some suggestions for song titles in your musical:

"How Do I Describe What I'm Feeling?"

"I Nearly Forgot What You Looked Like"

"Come Close to Me (But Not That Close)"

"The Sound of Your Breathing"

"All the People on the Subway"

"The Weight of My Blanket as I Lie Here With You"

"Your Affections are Like Wool on My Skin"

"A Hobby for My Heart"

"I Lost My Special Interest in San Francisco"

"I Love Technology, But Not As Much As You"

Last edited:
If you haven't already, check out the musical "The Light in the Piazza". It's told more from the outside looking in, but it'll give you an excellent perspective on how to tie it all together & present the story. I saw it this past summer and it was quite powerful.

The Light in the Piazza (musical) - Wikipedia

New Threads

Top Bottom