• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Well its true that i was a coffee addict, maybe you just drink 3 cup a day and do perfectly fine, for me it was realy much more coffee than what an average drinker drinks xD.

Coffee I like a lot... but it doesnt like me... it makes things worse it seems and decaf doesn't seem to do the trick, plus the lift from the caffeine is gone so it's basically a wasted purpose... Too much chocolate seems to make things all shaky also... I still cheat ever so often and just pay the price of shakiness for a couple of hours... : )

I have the same issue of sensitive eyes. I finally got prescription sunglasses about a year ago and love them. I started wearing cargo pants with a cell phone pocket so I could carry my sunglasses around everywhere I go. Reducing my visual discomfort has enabled me to better cope with other discomforts.

I just got new glasses last week, one pair has transition lenses... I hate them on my face! It's not how they look it's the way they feel, they drive me bonkers but I can see like LIFE is in HD... : ) It's also helping the eye strain a lot... I basically begged for contacts and lost that war because of how irritated my eyes are and allergies... and yes they do block the wind and help some with that...

By the way long time no see, glad to see your back : )

However I do have and ASD based question... A co-worker said, I like your glasses. They make you look smart... So did I look dumb before I had them???

My advice is to be the person you know yourself to be. Family members and friends might encourage you to do things that in their view would be good for you, but unless they know you really well, and understand who you are and what is happening in your life, they are only telling you what they would do if they appeared to feel the way you do. That may be their solution to a problem, but it isn't yours.

Live your life, there is value in doing exactly that.

I don't see anything that you have written that would hurt anyone's feelings. In fact quite the opposite, you are asking questions, seeking a little help, perhaps some guidance. That is exactly what the site is for, and those of us who participate come here to do. Of all places, this one is where you can be yourself and never have to apologise.

Thank you. I agree of what you're saying. It's similar to depression and anxiety, or basically any condition that someone wont understand unless they know me, been through it, or have it.

In all actually, me saying sorry is me being myself :laughing:. I say sorry about everything and to anyone, even walls and objects.

I just got new glasses last week, one pair has transition lenses... I hate them on my face! It's not how they look it's the way they feel, they drive me bonkers but I can see like LIFE is in HD... : ) It's also helping the eye strain a lot... I basically begged for contacts and lost that war because of how irritated my eyes are and allergies... and yes they do block the wind and help some with that...

By the way long time no see, glad to see your back : )

However I do have and ASD based question... A co-worker said, I like your glasses. They make you look smart... So did I look dumb before I had them???

Did you ask your co-worker that question? I would have, but only because I like causing trouble.

Thank you. I agree of what you're saying. It's similar to depression and anxiety, or basically any condition that someone wont understand unless they know me, been through it, or have it.

In all actually, me saying sorry is me being myself :laughing:. I say sorry about everything and to anyone, even walls and objects.

Then you are forgiven.

Did you ask your co-worker that question? I would have, but only because I like causing trouble.

No, I didn't say anything as usual... Just probably looked confused and dazed (but apparently smarter than usual)... : )

But I don't understand how it'll make you less sensitive.

To be desensitized literally means to become less sensitive, but I know what you mean -- exposing yourself as much as possible to things doesn't always make you less sensitivei.

Most people, their brain sort of "numbs" to things after a while, it becomes old news (so to speak) -- taken for granted, shoved into a corner and forgotten about. Those with sensory sensitivities, this doesn't happen as easily, as quickly, or at all.

In the past I had to have friends drive my car home because with any light my eyes started burning and watering so bad I couldn't see. Had to double up sunglasses so I could get back to college one night. The eye doc called it infiltrates and said it would run its course. My sister had it too. Had it a couple more times but don't think I've had it for 20 years. Just looked it up, and yes we both had contacts back then. Once I ditched them for good, no more problems. I don't even miss them.

That was just the extreme times, but overall I've always been sensitive to light anyway. I have transitions lenses on my glasses which helps some.

For the shower issue you may want to try getting a different shower head as I have found certain shower heads make the water feel gentler than others.

Things do get hard I agree. I enjoy spending time with people but when I'm with crowds that are to big I find it best to be alone.

I'm feeling a lot better after having alone time. It's a repeated cycle. It builds up for several days, then a meltdown/shutdown, close myself off, feel better, repeat.

Question:
When does sensory become a issue? I've seen people close their ears when there are fireworks. Is it when everyday noises you hear become unbearable?

Question: When does sensory become a issue? I've seen people close their ears when there are fireworks. Is it when everyday noises you hear become unbearable?

To me it's a buildup of noise that's useless and irritating to me, along with the feeling of being trapped there. For example when my dad wants me to come over, then has nothing but one noisy basketball game after another on TV which he knows I hate. Meanwhile others playing dice at the table, nothing down to dampen the sound (I often roll dice on a dinner napkin or similar). If my sister brings her dog it's worse yet. And with the wood floors in the house, it all echoes badly and I eventually just end up shutting down (the equivalent of giving up when you can't keep up making sense of your surroundings). I just end up finding a place to hide in a bedroom and finding a book to look at.

I feel the same way at times, as showers are overly hot. I do find warm baths are relaxing, though. Maybe you could try having a soak in a bath if you aren't keen on showering.

To me it's a buildup of noise that's useless and irritating to me, along with the feeling of being trapped there. For example when my dad wants me to come over, then has nothing but one noisy basketball game after another on TV which he knows I hate. Meanwhile others playing dice at the table, nothing down to dampen the sound (I often roll dice on a dinner napkin or similar). If my sister brings her dog it's worse yet. And with the wood floors in the house, it all echoes badly and I eventually just end up shutting down (the equivalent of giving up when you can't keep up making sense of your surroundings). I just end up finding a place to hide in a bedroom and finding a book to look at.

I can really relate to your experience. Family get-togethers are chaotic.

Who says you "have" to go to concerts etc? There's no law stating so. If you prefer libraries, then go there, it's not illegal or unscriptural. Find places where you can go for nice walks and hear the birds; take binoculars so you can look at them as well.

If your church overwhelms you, find a smaller, quieter one. If the one you attend is the only one of your denomination in your area, you may have to travel a bit further or go to a different denomination. These days, the stress is less on that and more on being a Christian in general, and another church or chapel should make you welcome, no matter what your background. If you don't know where to start looking, pray for guidance. Your Heavenly Father created you, so He knows how your brain works; he also knows where you will be made welcome and where your strengths can be best used, as well as your difficulties catered for.

Not to the same severe degree ( which suggests you need a little bit of help there), but yes, even when the day is dull, I have to wear sunglasses. I remember as a child, how the sun hurt, but somehow it translated that it was my fault and so, I kept quite and suffered.

At my kingdom hall ( church), an elder ( priest), opens the side door of another room, that is used as a second school, so that I can go in and not have to face everyone. I sit there in the semi dark and there is a switch that I can flick, so I get to hear the program. A spiritual sister purchased an adult colouring book for me and so, I do that, whilst listening and can pay much better attention that way. I go in, just as everyone is about to sit down and leave straight after the prayer.

I hate showering too; hate being wet and so happy when it is over. Never liked washing, but do it, because I like being clean and dignified.

I also find silence causes issues. I must have sound, but at the same time, I cannot deal with low sounds; drives me to want to kill the object.
I've been to Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Petsmart and Whole Foods Market two times in the month of March (My mom shopping for wood crates and fabric). Also went to two parks for bird watching, and went to church and then Memas house for Easter. And I listen to loud music everyday. I am no less sensitive than before.

I don't have a problem accepting who I am. It's just some family members (They don't understand me very well.) have told me to get out more, become more outgoing and speak out. I started to think it was my fault that I wasn't going out and doing what people are "supposed" to do. I would rather go to a quiet library and read books about birds while laying in a bean bag vs. going to a concert or an amusement park.

Please tell me if I hurt your feelings. I always feel like I'm annoying people with my constant questions. Even when on a forum, I still don't know what to say, so I usually don't respond back.

I feel like we are alike. I want to be deep in nature with no other sounds, or people around! I too love the birds, and delight in identifying bird song. I spent my childhood in the library and still call that my “home.” I found that noisy environments, parades, shopping malls, super sized grocery and other “big box” stores, busy restaurants, and beaches in summer time are ALL to be avoided. I learned over a lifetime of trying to expose myself to them (I am now 61.5 years old) and my sensory issues getting worse- not better- that I just choose NOT to deal with them. I am so tired of trying to be “normal” and no one is going to ever understand ME, so I will just do as I WANT to do and that is just OK.

I hate touching and noises.

When I feel annoyed or not and I hear noises unexpectedly (I pick up noises really good unfortunately) quiet or not then I get annoyed and even mad if they persist.

When people touch me purposefully, accident or not, I hate it. I want to be left alone.

I know a lot of us aspies and other autistics deal with this in the same way or worse. How is it for you?

I am increasingly annoyed by noises. I hate the vacuum or the tv on too loud and get startled by my phone notifications etc. Anything loud annoys me and makes me feel uncomfortable. The tumble dryer. Anything really. Motorbikes are the worst. People don’t seem to understand the sensitivity of it, that’s probably the worst part. I just want a quiet life and it’s way too noisy for me. Others just don’t get it. Lights. Noise. Busyness. They all unsetttle me. It’s very disconcerting for me.

just found a pair of noise cancelling headphones that make going outside in noisy crowds almost like walking in a bubble, they don't cancel 100% but with music on its pretty close

it's quite relaxing

the downside is that i get 'touched more', at home in my bubble, i can't hear when people are talking to me anymore, so i get tapped on the shoulder more

New Threads

Top Bottom