• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Drakanav

Bird Fanatic
It's hard to take a shower because I can feel every drop of water go down my body. At times, I'll go almost a month without a shower. The sound of plates/utensils clacking together hurts. People talking close hurts. Hair touching my face makes me agitated. The clothes that I wear nip at me. I can feel blood flow and my heart beat. I squint, even when it's cloudy outside, and literally blinded when the sun is out. Going to church is hard, and having over 100+ people singing is unbearable.

Why do people say isolating yourself makes your sensory issues worse? Me getting out more, has made me exhausted. I can barely even walk through my own house with feeling overwhelmed.

I experience a lot of things you are saying. Dishes (pans mainly), my eyes sometimes burn even in the shade, clothes. I'm always either adjusting my clothes, hair, whatever like every few seconds. I feel blood flow and heartbeat but they don't cause problems. If anything, getting older with problems like blood clots, it helps me monitor it myself to see how I'm doing.

When I moved into my first house, the water pressure was over 100 PSI I was told. I was blowing pipes. Taking a shower was like driving nails into my back. It was my house so I went down and reduced the water flow valve to being open about 1/4 of a turn. Made all the difference. A different showerhead might help too, one with a lot of patterns to choose from.

Getting out makes me feel better. But my idea of getting out is going to quiet places in nature away from people. Places that do not have the noises of a house. Do you have that option?

BTW the avatar, I had a parakeet that looked just like that when I was a kid. He was a mean little sucker. We think he would kill any mate we tried to give him, it'd always end up dead in the food dish. Even young ones.

I'll this one as short as I can.

- My clothing issues are, I don't like buttoned shirts or polos, I love wearing t- shirts. I don't like shorts or jeans, for me it's sweatpants, track pants or jogger chinos. I only like wearing hoodies.

- I don't like conventional swimwear, I like swimming with my T-shirt and sweatpants on with my leg fully covered and I can swim well.

- I don't like plain foods, when cooking for myself I am obsessed with herbs, spices, seasonings and sauces especially if I am cooking for myself.

- When eating fruit, it has to be spot on ripe, it can't be over or under ripe.

- I don't bright sunlight and I always need sunglasses when being under bright sunlight.

- I like to watch my Game Of Thrones, Star Wars, Lord Of The Rings, The Hobbit, Pirates Of The Caribbean and Harry Potter in absolute peace without anyone around talking in the background even it's been watched many times.

- I like listening to music that's forced upon me.

This list goes on forever.

I experience a lot of things you are saying. Dishes (pans mainly), my eyes sometimes burn even in the shade, clothes. I'm always either adjusting my clothes, hair, whatever like every few seconds. I feel blood flow and heartbeat but they don't cause problems. If anything, getting older with problems like blood clots, it helps me monitor it myself to see how I'm doing.

When I moved into my first house, the water pressure was over 100 PSI I was told. I was blowing pipes. Taking a shower was like driving nails into my back. It was my house so I went down and reduced the water flow valve to being open about 1/4 of a turn. Made all the difference. A different showerhead might help too, one with a lot of patterns to choose from.

Getting out makes me feel better. But my idea of getting out is going to quiet places in nature away from people. Places that do not have the noises of a house. Do you have that option?

BTW the avatar, I had a parakeet that looked just like that when I was a kid. He was a mean little sucker. We think he would kill any mate we tried to give him, it'd always end up dead in the food dish. Even young ones.

I'm not able to go out on my own, as my mom and dad are still overprotective of me. But, I would love to walk around the neighborhood to record more birds.

The avatar was a picture I found off of google images. I have two budgerigars, George and Edna. When Edna is in breeding mood, she'll bite to the point where you draw blood.

Not to the same severe degree ( which suggests you need a little bit of help there), but yes, even when the day is dull, I have to wear sunglasses. I remember as a child, how the sun hurt, but somehow it translated that it was my fault and so, I kept quite and suffered.

At my kingdom hall ( church), an elder ( priest), opens the side door of another room, that is used as a second school, so that I can go in and not have to face everyone. I sit there in the semi dark and there is a switch that I can flick, so I get to hear the program. A spiritual sister purchased an adult colouring book for me and so, I do that, whilst listening and can pay much better attention that way. I go in, just as everyone is about to sit down and leave straight after the prayer.

I hate showering too; hate being wet and so happy when it is over. Never liked washing, but do it, because I like being clean and dignified.

I also find silence causes issues. I must have sound, but at the same time, I cannot deal with low sounds; drives me to want to kill the object.

I have a lot of the issues you mention too, but there are things you can do to help yourself with these:

!. Change the shower head to one with more, wider holes so you don't get water comeing out at high pressure. Don't turn the water full on.
2. Wear sunglasses.
3. Wear earplugs. It they are uncomfortable, get foam ones and trim them with scissors until they are the right size of a good fit.
4. Have a short haircut, or wear a pony tail if your hair is long.
5. Wear soft, baggy clothing, and cut the labels out.
6. Everyday living does mean that you may have to tolerate a certain amount of discomfort, you will need to accept a certain level as part of life and you won't be able to eliminate sensory issues entirely, because when you do, new ones will just pop up in their place, so you will need to strike a balance between comfort and necessity of living.

How did you manage to live for now?

Sensitivity is also correlated to anxiety and hypervigilance, maybe you should also work on that maybe with a professionnal.

Do you drink cofee?

It's hard to take a shower because I can feel every drop of water go down my body. At times, I'll go almost a month without a shower. The sound of plates/utensils clacking together hurts. People talking close hurts. Hair touching my face makes me agitated. The clothes that I wear nip at me. I can feel blood flow and my heart beat. I squint, even when it's cloudy outside, and literally blinded when the sun is out. Going to church is hard, and having over 100+ people singing is unbearable.

Why do people say isolating yourself makes your sensory issues worse? Me getting out more, has made me exhausted. I can barely even walk through my own house with feeling overwhelmed.

Wow... lots of us share the same stuff BUT harsh fact is its part of who we are and the world isn't going to change for us... : )

I hate taking showers but I also hate being/feeling dirty- I have a waterpic shower head that has soft spray and I just don't turn the water on high... I take like 3 showers a day and wash my hands like 60 times a day... (I get dirty and sweaty at work a lot, plus I workout some)
Yes, I'm a freak, but a clean good smelling one... : )

If your bothered by your hair touching your face, get a sexy short girl haircut... I like my scruffy little beard thing I have, but if it gets long or my hair get long, I start noticing it bothering me...

Plates/utensils... grrr. I basically live with earbuds or headphones on me... Sometimes with nothing playing just to help block noise. I have hyperacusis, you may also (it sucks)... Not a lot anyone has ever done to help me there. I tried so specialized electronic hearing aids... they were a 5000.00 FAIL! I also have really bad tinnitus... hearing is just painful sometimes...

The church thing or ANYWHERE... the mall, Sam's etc... I just get in and out as fast as possible OR I will not go if I KNOW its going to mess me up too bad... You can watch church on television if you so choose.

My eyes are super sensitive and always red... Wind bothers them really bad and they water like I am crying... Its sad really, but I have to do what I have to do...

I can hear my heartbeat and feel my blood pulsing... Now when I cant I get worried... : )

On Clothes... Just get the softest, loosest clothes you can, double downey and double bounce sheets (it truly helps a lot!!! and your clothes are softer and smell great)... I'm a dude so... in any warm weather I am in shorts and loose fitting shirt (they even allow this at work). I want to go without a shirt but that's a no unless Im working at the pool... so I have that sort of under control.

Weather changes make me hurt and make all the sensitives worse... Extreme cold, or hot and I'm a nightmare to deal with, so I go off by myself a lot...

Not trying to be bossy or pushy... Just trying to let you know LIFE is going on and we have to figure out how to best make it work... I hope you find you some relief and some little things that help you cope... : )

Wow, I am 61.5 years old, and my sensory issues are not “desensitized.” I know what works for me and I take great measures to protect myself. One has got to do what one does....and I just had to quit not only my job, but the career I spent a long time training for.

I am proud of my sensitivity now, and know where I belong. I am challenged to find a life that supports my needs. I cannot tolerate bright light so I wear a long brim baseball cap in summertime. I try to avoid fluorescent lights (difficult to avoid in job environments though), room temperatures over 72 degrees F. (again, difficult in work environments because people complain that they are “cold” and demand 75 to 78 F.), and I detest any synthetic fabrics on me or next to me. I must wear natural leather or Cotten canvas shoes and nothing of synthetics!

Sound is a huge one for me- I hear the buzzing in fluorescent lights (as well as see the flickering), I hear wall clocks ticking, and cannot stand the sounds of others chewing, slurping, tapping, shuffling, talking, humming, etc. Sometimes are more difficult then others Like when I am stressed, or sick, or upset in any way.

I avoid big places like Walmart’s, shopping malls, and big grocery stores. I avoid shopping or errand running on weekends or holidays when everyone is out on roads. And shopping. The bigger the holiday, or weekend, the more likely I can be shut in, or in a nature preserve deep on a trail no one else uses.

I cannot tolerate the buzzing of lawn mowers, or the banging of construction equipment. I carry two types of rap plugs at all times, and wear both - at work, on the street, or in my home if need be.

I have lived my life with as much avoidance as I can muster, or found tricks and technology to assist me. I avoid crowds like parades, or beaches when there are throngs of humans.

I appreciate the quiet of nature, birds singing, leaves rustling, and the sound of spring comb frogs. I used to sleep with whales singing on a CD. I now live next to a freight train line, and actually find the rumble of trains quite soothing. Sometimes, I turn down the heat real cold in winter, and sleep with my layers of coats and hoods, and gloves on. This is oh so soothing and masks sounds also. I wish they made all-cotten sleeping bags so that I could cocoon deep inside.

I pretty much need to be alone as much as possible with my sensory issues. It’s ok by me.

Thank you for all your replies.

1: I have a short hairstyle, but my hair is very thick and frizzy after washing, and is hard for it to calm down.
2: I wear earplugs when I go in the kitchen, or when I’m overwhelmed around the house, but I dont use them when I go in public because I don’t know what people are going to think.
3: I wear big t-shirts and sweatpants all day everyday. I have clothes called “outing clothes”, which is just clothes that you wear when you go somewhere.
4: I have recently drank more coffee, but it helps with attention, and have no problems with sleeping. I have been to the heart doctor because of heart problems, but then I was drinking decaf tea/coffee.

How I cope, is basically by ‘fake it ‘til I make’. But I know that causes more problems. Sometimes I can have up to six meltdows in one day. But usually an entire month, around 2-5 meltdown/or shutdowns. I’ve always wonder how some on the spectrum go years without a meltdown.

Well i suggest you to stop cofee for now.
I was personnaly more frequently overwhelmed before , but I had also more problems related to cofee.

I didnt solve everything but cleary it reduces some of my problems, the hypervigilance that is provoked by cofee interracts badly with our hypersensitivity;
More over you may be drinking more because you are currently feeling more tired, and that means that you are and therefore you may need more spleep , even if you drink cofee you are still tired, this is just like a drug that make us able to cheat with our own body , and that comes with a price.
If you are tired you may be more anxious and more sensitive, and each cup of cofee make you more vigilant for a brief period of time, that state makes you feel awake but actually it exhausts you even faster and there we have a vicious circle.

Have your sensitivity increased recently ?

No, my sensitivity has been the same for years. I’ll ask my mom and dad and see if they notice anything when I have caffeine. But, I don’t feel difference overall.
I went several months without caffeine last year or so, and the sensitivity was the same.

Well its true that i was a coffee addict, maybe you just drink 3 cup a day and do perfectly fine, for me it was realy much more coffee than what an average drinker drinks xD.

Clothing has always been an issue for me as well. I have recently swithed to wearing mostly cotton, especially when it comes to t-shirts and underwear. Cotton breathes better and doesn’t stink if you get sweaty the way polyester does. I have learned to tolerate uncomfortable clothing when situations demand it, but I dress comfy as much as possible.

Wow... lots of us share the same stuff BUT harsh fact is its part of who we are and the world isn't going to change for us... : )

I hate taking showers but I also hate being/feeling dirty- I have a waterpic shower head that has soft spray and I just don't turn the water on high... I take like 3 showers a day and wash my hands like 60 times a day... (I get dirty and sweaty at work a lot, plus I workout some)
Yes, I'm a freak, but a clean good smelling one... : )

If your bothered by your hair touching your face, get a sexy short girl haircut... I like my scruffy little beard thing I have, but if it gets long or my hair get long, I start noticing it bothering me...

Plates/utensils... grrr. I basically live with earbuds or headphones on me... Sometimes with nothing playing just to help block noise. I have hyperacusis, you may also (it sucks)... Not a lot anyone has ever done to help me there. I tried so specialized electronic hearing aids... they were a 5000.00 FAIL! I also have really bad tinnitus... hearing is just painful sometimes...

The church thing or ANYWHERE... the mall, Sam's etc... I just get in and out as fast as possible OR I will not go if I KNOW its going to mess me up too bad... You can watch church on television if you so choose.

My eyes are super sensitive and always red... Wind bothers them really bad and they water like I am crying... Its sad really, but I have to do what I have to do...

I can hear my heartbeat and feel my blood pulsing... Now when I cant I get worried... : )

On Clothes... Just get the softest, loosest clothes you can, double downey and double bounce sheets (it truly helps a lot!!! and your clothes are softer and smell great)... I'm a dude so... in any warm weather I am in shorts and loose fitting shirt (they even allow this at work). I want to go without a shirt but that's a no unless Im working at the pool... so I have that sort of under control.

Weather changes make me hurt and make all the sensitives worse... Extreme cold, or hot and I'm a nightmare to deal with, so I go off by myself a lot...

Not trying to be bossy or pushy... Just trying to let you know LIFE is going on and we have to figure out how to best make it work... I hope you find you some relief and some little things that help you cope... : )

I have the same issue of sensitive eyes. I finally got prescription sunglasses about a year ago and love them. I started wearing cargo pants with a cell phone pocket so I could carry my sunglasses around everywhere I go. Reducing my visual discomfort has enabled me to better cope with other discomforts.

I've been to Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Petsmart and Whole Foods Market two times in the month of March (My mom shopping for wood crates and fabric). Also went to two parks for bird watching, and went to church and then Memas house for Easter. And I listen to loud music everyday. I am no less sensitive than before.

I don't have a problem accepting who I am. It's just some family members (They don't understand me very well.) have told me to get out more, become more outgoing and speak out. I started to think it was my fault that I wasn't going out and doing what people are "supposed" to do. I would rather go to a quiet library and read books about birds while laying in a bean bag vs. going to a concert or an amusement park.

Please tell me if I hurt your feelings. I always feel like I'm annoying people with my constant questions. Even when on a forum, I still don't know what to say, so I usually don't respond back.

I've been to Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Petsmart and Whole Foods Market two times in the month of March (My mom shopping for wood crates and fabric). Also went to two parks for bird watching, and went to church and then Memas house for Easter. And I listen to loud music everyday. I am no less sensitive than before.

I don't have a problem accepting who I am. It's just some family members (They don't understand me very well.) have told me to get out more, become more outgoing and speak out. I started to think it was my fault that I wasn't going out and doing what people are "supposed" to do. I would rather go to a quiet library and read books about birds while laying in a bean bag vs. going to a concert or an amusement park.

Please tell me if I hurt your feelings. I always feel like I'm annoying people with my constant questions. Even when on a forum, I still don't know what to say, so I usually don't respond back.

My advice is to be the person you know yourself to be. Family members and friends might encourage you to do things that in their view would be good for you, but unless they know you really well, and understand who you are and what is happening in your life, they are only telling you what they would do if they appeared to feel the way you do. That may be their solution to a problem, but it isn't yours.

Live your life, there is value in doing exactly that.

I don't see anything that you have written that would hurt anyone's feelings. In fact quite the opposite, you are asking questions, seeking a little help, perhaps some guidance. That is exactly what the site is for, and those of us who participate come here to do. Of all places, this one is where you can be yourself and never have to apologise.

New Threads

Top Bottom