• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensory comfort foods?

jane_doe

Do any of you have a sensory comfort food. Like something you eat that helps with anxiety. I'm not talking about drugs.

For me it's anything cold. Sometimes I'll just put ice cubes in a bowl and eat that

This is probably weird to most people, but my go-to comfort food is anything spicy. I don't mean mildly spicy, I mean extreme heat. I guess it's a sensory issue in itself that it doesn't bother my mouth lol
I constantly crave hot and spicy foods, and I put hot pepper in almost everything I cook.
I don't have an explanation for why I crave heat so much, other than it's obviously a sensory thing, and I'm also Latina.

I know several people who chew on ice cubes as a stim.

I'm not really into ice myself... except when I'm flying and am distressed. Sometimes during the in-flight service I'll just ask for a cup of ice and pop the cubes in my mouth one at a time, and that helps calm me.

I'm not really into ice myself... except when I'm flying and am distressed. Sometimes during the in-flight service I'll just ask for a cup of ice and pop the cubes in my mouth one at a time, and that helps calm me.
I do that too! I'm so glad I'm not the only person who does this.

I do chew ice for that reason, like when I'm at a restaurant. I'll also ball up and fold my straw wrapper as a stim.

Crunchy, almost every other meal involves crunchy. Even raw cabbage has incredible crunch, celery too.

This is going to be weird but Nutter Butter(peanutbutter and marshmallow fluff on bread) is something that tend to be pleasing and calming for me. It's ironically the only time I prefer crunchy peanutbutter over creamy peanutbutter. The texture is so much more appealing.

Other than that. Hot drinks like hot chocolate, coffee, and tea tend to be my go to for calming me down. Actually, hot soup also fits there too.

Cold stuff like ice is actually uncomfortable for me. Cold drinks are not as uncomfortable, but they are not as calming either. Just kinda a medium ground enjoyment.

I really like the texture of a good thick, chunky stew. That's comfort food right there.

oh, and @Luca , I adore super spicy too. the foods that most people cry about, I devour. I put hot sauce on everything. Salsa Verde on Cottage Cheese, Hot sauce on watermelon. You name it. I spice up my eggs, and my soups and everything. I just love it.

When my daughter or I happen to have a throat cold or a cough, the first thing I do is a spoonful of honey, covered in hot sauce. You wanna clear out those sinuses and lungs? Burn baby burn! lol

I really like the texture of a good thick, chunky stew. That's comfort food right there.

oh, and @Luca , I adore super spicy too. the foods that most people cry about, I devour. I put hot sauce on everything. Salsa Verde on Cottage Cheese, Hot sauce on watermelon. You name it. I spice up my eggs, and my soups and everything. I just love it.

When my daughter or I happen to have a throat cold or a cough, the first thing I do is a spoonful of honey, covered in hot sauce. You wanna clear out those sinuses and lungs? Burn baby burn! lol

Ooooooh! Stew is one for me too. On the same level as soup.

I am not one to liberally add spicy stuff to everything, but I do agree that it does add a nice kick to certain things. Soup is definitely one that is great with hot sauce. So is pizza. Though I guess I could try using hot sauce more on stuff. That would be fun to try.

Instant ramen.
Oh my goodness!

Break up a pack of ramen, and put the dry ramen in a bowl. Sprinkle the powder on top. Maybe a few pieces of fresh spinach too. Top with a piece of ham or deli turkey.

Pour boiling water into the bowl until it covers the ramen.

Immediately cover the bowl tightly with a plate.

Let it sit for ten minutes.

Meanwhile, fry up an egg.

Once the ten minutes have passed, take the plate lid off the ramen bowl. The ramen and spinach will be soft, and the ham will be hot. Top it all with the fried egg.

Enjoy.

Black coffee and a bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon - my usual breakfast of champions.

Do any of you have a sensory comfort food. Like something you eat that helps with anxiety. I'm not talking about drugs.

For me it's anything cold. Sometimes I'll just put ice cubes in a bowl and eat that
Yum! Mine have been chocolate chip cookies, whenever I eat them I tend to act like I'm in love. I also tend to gently savour chips, and sadly I also eat a lot of dinners that I would prefer not to, and sadly pretend that I like foods when I don't just to make certain family members happy c,:

New Threads

Top Bottom