• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Self Advocacy

Wolfiedog

Were i still seeing my therapist, i'd discuss it with them. But since i'm not i will reach out to you good folks for information or understanding.
For the last year i now realize i have almost no self advocacy skills. i've expressed them at times during a meltdown, but other than that--zero. Nothing. Nada.
My whole life i have just taken what i've been given, often wondering why i get the ****** end of the stick all of the time, like some grand universal equalizer will step in and give me my turn doing the easy end of the job. But the grand universal equalizer never came to my rescue leaving me very frustrated my whole life.
To this day i still don't understand how to access this ability, even watching others weld it with ease.
Growing up, i never understood why i was the one who had to go without, be left out, given the hardest part of a chore or assignment, or be the one punished for what everyone else had done. As children my step-sister made good use of my lack of self advocacy skills to her own ends. At work i was always, always left doing the grunt work even though i had knowledge and abilities that surpassed others.
The few times i tried to practice self advocacy apparently i did it wrong because it always resulted in negative consequences.
i would be full of self loathing over this late in life realization had i not finally understood several years ago that i was autistic. It's not my fault my neural activity in my head can't wrap itself around how to self advocate.
Is there anyone else that struggles with this? Is next to zero self advocacy skills a shared experience among those on the spectrum?

This is a learnable skill ...
... but like most social skills, there's a substrate of competitiveness.

It's not enough to learn the basics, you have to be as good as experienced NT adults. For most things, including this one, that's achievable for ASDs, but it will take time and effort.

Nothing with this "pseudo-competitive" characteristic can be learned with a short, simple, easily executed list of actions. The net is full of "self-help coaches" who claim otherwise of course, but functioning magic wands remain strangely elusive.

So a direct question for you. It will seem a bit rude, but it's not intended that way:
Are you willing to put in 20-100 hours working on the core skills, or are you looking for a "magic wand"?

Last edited:
When I decided to grow a bit as a young adult, I had to learn how to express my boundaries and advocate for myself. Before that, I would let my frustration grow until I would explode. I learned that I needed to express myself clearly and insistently but calmly and be prepared to provide alternatives. Such as: "What you are asking me to do, I completed last time. X needs experience doing it so I would rather do Y that he usually works on. Here are the resources X will need." It was scary for me to do that, but I always have been a good worker so people took my suggestions seriously.

I was not ready to date or enter into a relationship until I matured and regained my agency. It is an important thing to learn and at the same time left my parents home to live independently.

Last edited:
It has taken me about 55 years to actually create boundaries that I do not want crossed. I still haven't figured out how to tell remote people that they've crossed the line, rather than ghost them. It isn't easy for me.

There is a bit of nuance to all of this. You can be a naturally "disagreeable" person without coming off as grumpy and negative. You can be an "agreeable" personality without being "a doormat" to be walked upon. Some things in life, I don't have any strong feelings about, in which case, I will go with the flow of things. Some things in life, for me, are a "hard stop" and I definitely have feelings about. Whatever the situation, and it varies, but there is this mindset that you do have to be somewhat "selfish" in the sense that you have to be protective of yourself physically, psychologically, and spiritually. There is a time and place for "people pleasing", but don't let it become part of who you are, because, as you have already found out, people will take advantage of that. "Well, we thought you wouldn't care if we did,...." "So, we didn't ask." "Sorry." In other words, "We didn't think enough of you to bother considering your opinion on the matter. So suck it up. This is what we are doing."

If you don't have respect for yourself, people see that, and then see no need to respect you, either.

This is a learnable skill ...
... but like most social skills, there's a substrate of competitiveness.

It's not enough to learn the basics, you have to be as good as experienced NT adults. For most things, including this one, that's achievable for ASDs, but it will take time and effort.

Nothing with this "pseudo-competitive" characteristic can be learned with a short, simple, easily executed list of actions. The net is full of "self-help coaches" who claim otherwise of course, but functioning magic wands remain strangely elusive.

So a direct question for you. It will seem a bit rude, but it's not intended that way:
Are you willing to put in 20-100 hours working on the core skills, or are you looking for a "magic wand"?
No magic wand. And at my age not much can be done to change my life's course and trajectory.
Four years ago i experienced a major autistic burnout which stripped me of what people skills i had squired over the years.
i'm not really in a place to be starting over.
It' is nice to know that there is hope for others though.

When I decided to grow a bit as a young adult, I had to learn how to express my boundaries and advocate for myself. Before that, I would let my frustration grow until I would explode. I learned that I needed to express myself clearly and insistently but calmly and be prepared to provide alternatives. Such as: "What you are asking me to do, I completed last time. X needs experience doing it so I would rather do Y that he usually works on. Here are the resources X will need." It was scary for me to do that, but I always have been a good worker so people took my suggestions seriously.

I was not ready to date or enter into a relationship until I matured and regained my agency. It is an important thing to learn and at the same time left my parents home to live independently.
i had no idea as a young adult that such a skill existed. Nor as an older adult. Not until about a year ago.
i'm glad it worked out for you, though.

i had no idea as a young adult that such a skill existed. Nor as an older adult. Not until about a year ago.
i'm glad it worked out for you, though.
The thing I understood as a young adult was that I desired a relationship and that guys were the ones that had to approach women. So, I figured out that if I could not advocate for myself, I could not advocate for my happiness with a woman. It was not easy and mistakes were made.

Seems like being an advocate for oneself also requires some degree of assertiveness. Assertiveness does require courage, especially, if you are a socially anxious person. However, as @Gerald Wilgus suggested, if you need something in your life, whatever it is, it requires you to reach out and get it, because rarely is anyone just going give it to you.

Seems like being an advocate for oneself also requires some degree of assertiveness. Assertiveness does require courage, especially, if you are a socially anxious person. However, as @Gerald Wilgus suggested, if you need something in your life, whatever it is, it requires you to reach out and get it, because rarely is anyone just going give it to you.
i have given your post much thought, Neonatal RRT.
i have never considered myself cowardly. And you would be hard pressed to find someone to claim that i was not assertive in most of my working career. (How i managed to become assertive is another story.) In fact, i got whisked along the fast track into management at one point in my working life in a big, big company due to my assertiveness. Now, when i say 'whisked along,' it was completely that. i did not apply for those positions but rather management did it for me. At the time i thought, 'Wow. It's finally happening for me.' LOL
i was only self-advocating by strong performance. Something i could understand. The promotions i received was done by others to meet their needs. i didn't refuse them because i thought this was how it was supposed to work.
But it seems that self-advocating is a part of the social game that i have no understanding of.
What seems so easy, comes so naturally to others like friendships, small talk, and social interactions completely eludes me. That includes self advocacy. What i have accomplished in these areas only cam with hard work and dedication. Self advocacy seems to be a blind spot for me. i just wondered if anyone else shared this issue.

i have given your post much thought, Neonatal RRT.
i have never considered myself cowardly. And you would be hard pressed to find someone to claim that i was not assertive in most of my working career. (How i managed to become assertive is another story.) In fact, i got whisked along the fast track into management at one point in my working life in a big, big company due to my assertiveness. Now, when i say 'whisked along,' it was completely that. i did not apply for those positions but rather management did it for me. At the time i thought, 'Wow. It's finally happening for me.' LOL
i was only self-advocating by strong performance. Something i could understand. The promotions i received was done by others to meet their needs. i didn't refuse them because i thought this was how it was supposed to work.
But it seems that self-advocating is a part of the social game that i have no understanding of.
What seems so easy, comes so naturally to others like friendships, small talk, and social interactions completely eludes me. That includes self advocacy. What i have accomplished in these areas only cam with hard work and dedication. Self advocacy seems to be a blind spot for me. i just wondered if anyone else shared this issue.
I would say we have some similarities from a professional standpoint, where our drive to be a "high-performer" is also entangled in our attention to the little details, techniques, precision, etc. People recognize that. Stereotypically, it's why some "in-the-know" employers will specifically seek out candidates with these traits, who are often on the autism spectrum. However, these are also hallmarks of an individual with "high-functioning" anxiety. Anxiety is a form of fear. Doing things despite that fear is, by definition, courage. Signs You Have High-Functioning Anxiety

Like you, in some aspects of my life, I would never consider myself a coward, in fact, quite the opposite. There are certain situations where I just put my foot down, dig in, and stand my ground no matter what's in front of me.

However, from a social perspective, this is where you and I seem to have this lack of self-advocacy issue. Some might recognize it as some form of "anti-social" behavior, but as you noted, there's a lot more to it. I know that sitting in a meeting at work can be "painful", but even more so, in different ways, with social gatherings. It is the "autism experience", if you will, to be "there, but not", often relegated to the periphery, not knowing the precise moment to jump in and out of the conversation without sensing that you are interrupting the flow, or by the time there is a "window" of opportunity to jump in and say what was on your mind, the conversation moved on to another topic and you're left there hanging. The other thing is, almost daily, I will be just getting into a topic of discussion with someone and then someone else butts in, interrupting my train of thought, pulling the other person away from me, and I am left there hanging, as well. I tend not to bond with people, relegating them to acquaintances, never actual friends. So, in the end, if you are not able to or are willing to put in the work to become a true friend, and you are not able to hold a meaningful conversation with someone because you lack the timing and skills, that combination will put you out on the periphery of all the social interactions and gatherings both in your personal and professional life. This makes it incredibly difficult to advocate for yourself if you are a "polite" person. You could be a "bully" and demand things, but that can backfire, as well.

So, my typical coping mechanism is to deal with people when I have to, otherwise, keep it to a minimum, and just do my own thing. If I sense there might be some resistance or obstacle from a person, I will do my best not to interact with them, and try to side step or go around them. I often do best accomplishing things if I don't have to interact with others, but sometimes I am forced to, which I don't like.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom