• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Searching for an 18+ female actress on the spectrum!

Deanna Brigidi

**NATIONAL CASTING SEARCH**

FREEFORM (formerly ABC Family) TV SHOW PILOT

18-year-old+ girl on the Autism spectrum needed!

Searching for a girl who is 18+ and on the autism spectrum for a leading role in a new
Freeform television pilot. If you or someone you know fits the following description and
is interested in submitting a self-taped audition, email for more information:
[email protected]

MATILDA
18-years-old+ to play 17 years old. On the autism spectrum. Funny. Bright.
Outgoing. Curious and contemplative. If she doesn’t initially understand
something she’ll put in the work to figure it out. She puts
a great deal of trust in her family and at school, she’s determined
to fit in – taking social cues from popular YouTubers.

Like you are casting an autistic to play an autistic. But as far as "Funny. Bright.
Outgoing. Curious and contemplative." I don't think it quite nails a typical autistic personality.

"Outgoing" autistic character? Extroverted autistic people are not at all common. But then neither are Neurodiverse people in a world dominated by Neurotypicals.

I'm afraid I'd be very cautious about this given the email address provided. If she has her own domain (5thhousecasting.com), why would she use Gmail for business purposes?

It might be safer for interested parties to contact the Casting Society of America to get the most official address in determining whether or not this is a legitimate casting search. Deanna Brigidi-Stewart is indeed an actual registered member of the Casting Society of America. They indicate her official email address as [email protected].

Mailing Address:
Casting Society of America
1149 N. Gower Street, Suite 110
Los Angeles, CA 90038

Email:(the preferred method of contact)
[email protected]

Phone:
323-785-1011

Office Administrator:
Laura Adler

The Casting Society of America

Last edited:
Hey there -- that is correct. I am a CSA registered Casting Director and [email protected] is my official work e-mail. I created [email protected] to minimize traffic to my personal work email and so that my office staff could have access to answer inquiries. I am happy to distribute additional information to legitimize this project.

Hey there -- that is correct. I am a CSA registered Casting Director and [email protected] is my official work e-mail. I created [email protected] to minimize traffic to my personal work email and so that my office staff could have access to answer inquiries. I am happy to distribute additional information to legitimize this project.

Casting scams are rampant these days. Surely you can understand such concern. ;)

Personally I'd send any primary contacts to your official address. At that point if you wanted to use most any alternative addresses, I don't think it would be an issue. After all, people have a right to protect themselves the best they can under such circumstances.

The Casting Society of America

Last edited:
Should all autistic characters be stereotypical like rainman? Would that not reinforce stereotypes to only show the "typical" case?

"Rainman" was inspired by a person ("Mega-savant" Kim Peek) who didn't even have a form of autism. So much for stereotypes or perceived "typical cases". Just another case of Hollywood freelancing the facts. But then not projecting someone on the spectrum as "outgoing" hardly translates into a "mega-savant" either.

Given autistic people constitute a relatively small segment of the population, it would seem more informative and accurate to portray us in terms of somewhat more common autistic traits and behaviors rather than to freelance a character who is even less common within their own neurological minority.

Otherwise with a predominantly Neurotypical audience, the more writers obscure an autistic character's traits and behaviors, the less that audience is likely to understand them or even sense them as being autistic. But this doesn't mean they have to come across as "Rainman" either. Or a genius-savant or superhero who saves lives or the entire planet each week. Those all remain stereotypes we don't need.

What we really need in the media is understanding- not just exposure. That is, if they're truly listening.

Last edited:
Absolutely, I completely understand and please feel free to ask whatever question you may have! Here is my official office address:
5th House Casting, Inc.
2681 Glendale Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90039

I did some checking too before replying and all seems legit and the OP an accomplished actress herself. Final checks need to be done by any applicant to make 100% sure. Hope the OP doesn't mind our intrusiveness. This is our group and old folks like Judge and myself can get instinctively protective.

d143e1b256b72032e48efb81cd4aaaa0.jpg

Again quite pleased you are going for an actual autistic person to portray one.

The character description is a bit of a problem however. Really it sounds no different then dozens of other young women in TV shows over the years. Do such people exist on the spectrum? Of course, but it is very rare. I think I heard of one along the Oy-tal river in Kyrgystan.

Its like you have a zoo full of nothing but lions and wanting diversity you get a Gazelle. But then you put it in a lion suit. ?

Of course, but it is very rare. I think I heard of one along the Oy-tal river in Kyrgystan

Nah, she's a savant.

Its like you have a zoo full of nothing but lions and wanting diversity you get a Gazelle. But then you put it in a lion suit. ?

You know when you put a lion suit on and it doesn't quite fit.

And somehow you always seem to get two arms in one leg or your head in the arm hole.

I think overall someone has written a 'thing' and the autistic young woman is acting the role.
So an exagerrated version of herself.

Also if it's a success she can throw off the lion suit and disagree with everyone who has defined her so far.

I thought the character sounded like
a cross between Blossom and Sheldon Cooper.
Maybe a little Amy thrown in....

"Rainman" was inspired by a person ("Mega-savant" Kim Peek) who didn't even have a form of autism
Kim was thought to at the time, but they found a neuro-biological cause for his autism later. That might be the case for everyone with ASD one day.

I think I heard of one along the Oy-tal river in Kyrgystan.

So what is "outgoing"? There are many very talkative people with ASD who have (a) friend(s)/partner they regularly talk to or spend time with, which to me would be outgoing.

Otherwise with a predominantly Neurotypical audience, the more writers obscure an autistic character's traits and behaviors, the less that audience is likely to understand them or even sense them as being autistic
Of course people would struggle to see a non-stereotypical character as autistic - which is exactly the point I'm trying to make. People already have somewhat of an understanding of the "typical cases". But how many members of this site have been told they don't seem autistic? That they can't have autism because of a stereotype they break? Any variation from the "typical cases" and people can no longer see it. A character that breaks stereotypes could, in my opinion, bring more understanding by showing how wide the "spectrum" is in terms of presentations of autism, which would not happen by showing a more common presentation.

It's really good that you would want an autistic person to portray an autistic character, but I think that you should do more research before creating the character and her personality - meet autistic people in real life, real this forum to see exactly what challenges autistic people face, try to fit the character round the personality of the autistic actor, rather than the other way round. Then the character will more credible, and is more likely to come across as authentic. I would say that there are some extroverted people on the spectrum [edit: who might fit the personality of the character], but most are introverts.

Last edited:
Some day it might be a good thing to let Hollywood explore all the potential subtle nuances of autism to a predominantly Neurotypical audience. I suspect most of us on the spectrum can agree with that. However today is just too soon IMO. Not to mention it's not really clear if this is about classic autism or Autism Spectrum Disorder. Do the producers even know themselves?

And there are the practicalities of production considerations that can easily cause subtle interpretations of autistic characters to be too easily "lost in translation". If this is a series pilot of 50 minutes or less you don't have the luxury of anticipating your test audience having to struggle to relate to any character let alone the lead being on the spectrum of autism. All compounded by the likelihood of a test screening involving Neurotypical studio executives and hand-picked test viewers. No point in building a story around an autistic character where their autism isn't easily apparent. Where the pilot may be subsequently rejected.

We as an autistic audience would no doubt enjoy a performance depicting a female Aspie. Perhaps something like Kristen Stewart's portrayal of Bella Swan in the "Twilight" film series. But guess what? Aspies are still debating that very scenario. Simple point: it was never made clear by the production of this lead character was even on the spectrum. If this was ever a consideration it got lost in translation.

Personally I don't care about any freelanced portrayal of an autistic character that a Hollywood writer or director envisions. I just want to see an authentic autistic character that non-autistic audiences can clearly understand and perhaps eventually even relate to in some minor degree. A process that involves "baby-steps" given so much of the public (on this side of the pond) just isn't there yet. The Neurotypical metaphor/symbol for autism is a puzzle piece. What does that tell you about their perceptions of autism to begin with? A bubbly, gregarious person on the spectrum will only confuse them further. Worse perhaps, if such impressions serve to marginalize autism in general.

Last edited:
I think we need an outgoing autistic character, especially if that character is a girl! I'm really sick of seeing autism portrayed as really dense math dudes, and the description posted sounds a bit stretched, but relatable. Most aspie girls I know aren't emotionless and flat, when we're with people we trust, we're quite the opposite. I'd like to see that represented, so an outgoing character totally makes sense! As for the fitting in part, I can totally see that too. High functioning girls walk this line between being too normal for autism services, but still too impaired to make friends. Highschool is a tough time, and I have learned to fit in, just not with the really popular kids. Being aggressively unique and 100 percent myself just isn't possible in high school, and it isn't a crime to want to socialize and act like everyone else! I don't want to be outed and teased, and I want friends. that's a normal thing, and it's okay to adapt. As a teenaged girl with aspergers, I can mimic the other kids, and i'm proud of the work that went into that. I can also be myself around my friends, but I use my autism to my advantage, and to be normal. sometimes I can be quite outgoing, and I've met many other outgoing aspies. I've never related to any autistic characters in the media. Mostly because none of them are female, and all of them present like the stereotypical idea of autism. The idea you posted sounds more like an actual aspie girl, I think we need that kind of character.

I think we need an outgoing autistic character, especially if that character is a girl! I'm really sick of seeing autism portrayed as really dense math dudes, and the description posted sounds a bit stretched, but relatable. Most aspie girls I know aren't emotionless and flat, when we're with people we trust, we're quite the opposite. I'd like to see that represented, so an outgoing character totally makes sense! As for the fitting in part, I can totally see that too. High functioning girls walk this line between being too normal for autism services, but still too impaired to make friends. Highschool is a tough time, and I have learned to fit in, just not with the really popular kids. Being aggressively unique and 100 percent myself just isn't possible in high school, and it isn't a crime to want to socialize and act like everyone else! I don't want to be outed and teased, and I want friends. that's a normal thing, and it's okay to adapt. As a teenaged girl with aspergers, I can mimic the other kids, and i'm proud of the work that went into that. I can also be myself around my friends, but I use my autism to my advantage, and to be normal. sometimes I can be quite outgoing, and I've met many other outgoing aspies. I've never related to any autistic characters in the media. Mostly because none of them are female, and all of them present like the stereotypical idea of autism. The idea you posted sounds more like an actual aspie girl, I think we need that kind of character.

I totally agree with you. I'm tired of the movie industry's stereotypical portrayal of Aspies as Rainman or creepy serial killers or geniuses. I have taught many autistic female students over the years who are outgoing, confident, happy personalities who embrace life despite their challenges. I have not had many male students who fit that description. The males who did have such personalities were very confident and open about themselves as having ASD, they did not try to mask who they are, and apparently came from loving, supportive, strong families. I can tell the family strength by how much the families are involved in helping their children such as by making sure their kids had reliable transportation to and from class, asking me how their kids were doing, and being involved in after-class assignments.

New Threads

Top Bottom