• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Searching for an 18+ female actress on the spectrum!

I'm all for a lead character on the spectrum. Especially a woman. But one who isn't crafted by writers to be so appealing to a Neurotypical audience that their autism gets lost in translation.

Though casting a character completely contrary to stereotypes can be damaging as well. Reminding me of the 60's tv series "Julia". Once considered "progressive and ground-breaking" at the time given the title character was a black woman. Unfortunately about the only thing technically "black" about her was her skin color. Her job as an RN, her nice apartment, and most of the people she interacted with all reflected white culture at the time. And the few black characters were always portrayed as having servile positions rather than reflect her peers. I think the show lasted three seasons. Many white audiences loved it. Many black audiences often referred to it as "whitewashing". Though no doubt behind closed doors network programming was only concerned about that white audience relative to ratings.

Personally I don't care much about the entertainment factor so typically crucial to Hollywood. But then given that Hollywood claims to be so liberal yet socially evolves so slowly doesn't help either. I just want to see tolerance and understanding of autism advanced in a positive manner with the fewest distractions to an audience who in so many cases hasn't a clue of who and what we really are.

Ironically though, from a casting perspective alone I can see why they want such a character. If they're introverted to begin with, they wouldn't likely push themselves to audition for the part in the first place. I can't help but wonder if anyone in casting has considered to reach out to Aspie/actress Daryl Hannah about whether she knows anyone who might be up for such a part. But then she's never played such a part either that I know of. Still, her feedback might be valuable.

Sorry to emphasize the same things over several posts. However this is an issue that remains dear to me. For an all-too-often flawed Hollywood to create more realistic and positive examples of autistic people for Neurotypicals to consider. Even while their reality may well involve the unlikely exposure in real life to Neurodiverse people in general.

Last edited:
My daughter fits the description, and then some; I'd be happy to find her under consideration for the role in the future. Thank you for posting this opportunity!

:)

Yes... but does she want to do it?
Great question, @Progster: It's standard in my own household that everyone has an equal voice, and I was planning on getting feedback from my daughter after picking her up from school today. As to some background; she has gone on a few talent scouting ventures for different projects, was all about taking head-shots prior to an open call with Paramount, and is a couple of years in to participation with a weekly acting program that has helped to empower her. My own personal take is that I'm supportive of my daughter's decisions regarding acting, but encourage her to focus on school and being mindful of the things she wants to accomplish, seeing as how she wants to eventually attend college and assist others with disabilities through education.

Last edited:
I'm all for a lead character on the spectrum. Especially a woman. But one who isn't crafted by writers to be so appealing to a Neurotypical audience that their autism gets lost in translation.

Though casting a character completely contrary to stereotypes can be damaging as well. Reminding me of the 60's tv series "Julia". Once considered "progressive and ground-breaking" at the time given the title character was a black woman. Unfortunately about the only thing technically "black" about her was her skin color. Her job as an RN, her nice apartment, and most of the people she interacted with all reflected white culture at the time. And the few black characters were always portrayed as having servile positions rather than reflect her peers. I think the show lasted three seasons. Many white audiences loved it. Many black audiences often referred to it as "whitewashing". Though no doubt behind closed doors network programming was only concerned about that white audience relative to ratings.

Personally I don't care much about the entertainment factor so typically crucial to Hollywood. But then given that Hollywood claims to be so liberal yet socially evolves so slowly doesn't help either. I just want to see tolerance and understanding of autism advanced in a positive manner with the fewest distractions to an audience who in so many cases hasn't a clue of who and what we really are.

Ironically though, from a casting perspective alone I can see why they want such a character. If they're introverted to begin with, they wouldn't likely push themselves to audition for the part in the first place. I can't help but wonder if anyone in casting has considered to reach out to Aspie/actress Daryl Hannah about whether she knows anyone who might be up for such a part. But then she's never played such a part either that I know of. Still, her feedback might be valuable.

Sorry to emphasize the same things over several posts. However this is an issue that remains dear to me. For an all-too-often flawed Hollywood to create more realistic and positive examples of autistic people for Neurotypicals to consider. Even while their reality may well involve the unlikely exposure in real life to Neurodiverse people in general.

Have a look on YouTube for a recent British drama called "The A word", about a young Autistic boy called Joe and his family, including his Uncle played by former Dr Who actor Christoper Ecclestone.

Have a look on YouTube for a recent British drama called "The A Word", about a young autistic boy called Joe and his family, including his uncle played by former Dr Who actor Christoper Ecclestone.
Except that the actor who played Joe (Max Vento) is not autistic.

New Threads

Top Bottom