• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Romantic interest

I agree it's sexual harassment, as a man myself I will state that men can't help who they're attracted to, BUT they can choose if or how they act on it. I see attractive women virtually every time I go out, but I don't sexually harass them and the same was true when I was at work, I used to see loads of attractive women, but if anyone dared to cross the line they knew they'd be in severe trouble and any sort of sexual harassment would have meant instant suspension followed by an official disciplinary hearing that would have almost certainly ended in dismissal.

I'm afraid it's not really sexual harassment if a man only politely asks you out once, if no-one ever asked anyone out there wouldn't be many relationships, but they should always respect your answer and leave you be if you're not interested. They should then continue to treat you with respect in your employment because if they caused you any issue after saying "no" it's also sexual harassment as you're being punished for refusing their advances which is putting unfair pressure on you. If a man did chose to ask you out however it shouldn't really be during works time and obviously there should never ever be any kind of touching or other unwanted sexual advance as this is definitely harassment and may even be classed as sexual assault which is a very serious criminal offence.

Your employers obviously aren't enforcing the rules that should be strictly set in any place of employment, but it also sounds like there's quite a few immature men as honestly not all men act this way. I am speculating, but it sounds like you've become a challenge since you're obviously very attractive and yet unobtainable, it's totally wrong, but the men appear to be showing off to each other in a kind of face off, E.g. who is able to be the first to achieve the almost impossible and win your affection? You've wrongfully become a type of entertainment for the men that has gone too far and because each man is seeing everyone else acting inappropriately they are incorrectly thinking that it's acceptable for them to act inappropriately too. The right thing to do is to report it to management as this should not the tolerated under any circumstances, but doing the right thing isn't always the easiest and if the management aren't professional it could potentially cause you more issues, I understand how difficult this must be for you and it's extremely unfair. If management didn't deal with it properly and appropriately however they could also end up in trouble. If you don't feel comfortable speaking to management yourself I would seek outside employment support and advice to help.
What I can't understand is what exactly they see in me that makes them crazy like that. I never cared about my appearance, I have my designs a projects and relationshipd always felt like a limitation to me. I have permanent sleeping bags under my eyes, little scratch wounds on my forehead that i tend to inflict on myself and I don't wear any make up, I simply hate the feeling of it on my skin. I definitely wouldn't call myself pretty and it frustrates me even more that they still rush after me like that. How can men think that women enjoy this attention? I don't.

What I can't understand is what exactly they see in me that makes them crazy like that. I never cared about my appearance, I have my designs a projects and relationshipd always felt like a limitation to me. I have permanent sleeping bags under my eyes, little scratch wounds on my forehead that i tend to inflict on myself and I don't wear any make up, I simply hate the feeling of it on my skin. I definitely wouldn't call myself pretty and it frustrates me even more that they still rush after me like that. How can men think that women enjoy this attention? I don't.
They aren't seeing something super attractive in you - as you yourself have assessed. I'm not at all trying to be rude or snarky here - just factual. I'm sure you can be very attractive when you want to be.

But the fact is, this is not about sexual attraction - as someone else mentioned above. They are sexually objectifying you - that's different. Men can and often will do that with someone they don't even find very pretty. It's more about them than you: it can be a way to show off or let out their "manliness", a distraction for the boredom of work, a release of sexual energy/tension, or just plain old domination.

I worry because so far you haven't expressed (though you may silently get this) but you haven't expressed the understanding that this is not about sexual attraction or romantic feelings - so you are barking up the wrong tree by fixating on that. The opposite mistake would be to assume that because a man doesn't treat you this way that he isn't sexually attracted to you.

Basically, these guys see you as risk/hassle free - an easy target, low-lying fruit, so they feel confident enough to do all of these things without repercussions to their egos or their job status. Please, please, please don't confuse that with true sexual attraction or romantic interest. I have made that mistake before. Don't make it a secret source of vanity or sexual confidence either - because these guys are using you and it's not about your true attractiveness. But many men know that if they give enough attention to a woman, if she's insecure or unaware enough, she can succumb and think they are actually attracted and interested in her romantically in a real way.

One time I was so puzzled as of why do men say stuff to women like that, that I once tried it :). I used to walk (for exercise) at a park and one time I saw a very attractive guy and I said something, I don’t remember what (from a safe distance, of course, and then I turned away and walked faster, pulling down my hood over my face). I felt so powerful! So, there, that’s why they do it.

And as for puzzling why they would do it to unattractive women - I remember in my twenties I tried so hard to look cute. And then one day when I was walking home form the gym, in my sweats, looking very not-cute, a carload of guys rode by honking and hollering. In that instant a lightbulb went off - it's not about my being cute. It's just about me being female and them being male and wanting to do that. But I digress...the point here is, this isn't the circumstance in which to fixate on why they "find you attractive", it's not about them thinking you're cute or sexy - you are not motivating them (unless if you are.....read up on boundaries) - they are seeing an easy target, or holes in the wall of boundaries, through which to let their energy and whatnot flow with no repercussions. This whole experience could be a jumping point for you to start considering attractiveness etc. as a totally separate issue - I find all of that fascinating. But do NOT (please!) confuse that with what's going on in the situation you describe. You would not even be flattering yourself to think that.

What I can't understand is what exactly they see in me that makes them crazy like that.

How can men think that women enjoy this attention? I don't.

The simplest answer being the most plausible one. Because such a scenario isn't about you in the most literal sense. It's ALL about them.

Sexual selfishness taken to such a low point it's just a notch above rape. Some guys for whatever reason simply have no self-control. Then factor in a society that at times seems indifferent over it all. With a legal system that often puts the burden of proof on the victim rather than a perpetrator.

As we have been seeing in the headlines recently. A trait that can impact even the most articulate and intelligent- and powerful personalities in key positions of employment. Yet for others like myself, I find it all quite ghastly. Not so much in any neurological sense, but because simply put, I wasn't raised to behave in such a manner!

Not what you probably want to hear, but I think you are owed the truth, and from a man's standpoint. :(

Last edited:
So, today about finding a romantic interest or rather - about how not to find it.

Literally.

What I'm asking for is how to be friendly, to males especially, while not invoking their sexual interest, or simpler - how to be nice, look neat but without any sexual appeal at all. It was easier when I was younger - I would just glare and scowl at them and it easily put them off. However, it wouldn't bring me any friends, now would it? And I do want to be rather friendly with people, at least at work. What is the problem is that, sooner or later, almost all males in the department want to have a sexual intercourse with me or, at times, a full-time relationship which I am not interested in at all. Friendly outings and talking is fine but I do not seek anything that they want to get from me. Since I neither want nor can deliver what they expect, I end up hurting a lot of people.

I don't like it.

It also makes me anxious. As of now, all of the males I know from work have some kind of 'nickname' for me like 'baby', 'darling', etc. and no, it's not used towards any other woman at work. They try to touch me as well, hands, arms, legs. Ask me about me having or not a boyfriend. Some, the younger ones, even call my name/nickname of their choosing and when I look at them they smile and say 'Nothing!', or they pull my hair or slap me with a towel on my butt(and how childish is that?!).

I smile, stay friendly and 'oblivious' by it is uncomfortable for me. I asked them to stop but was ignored so far and I don't to press so as not to be seen as 'rude and antisocial'.

I simply don't want another sexual assault in my workplace, that's all. I don't want sex or a relationship, that's it. My head is enough of a mess and everyone seems to want to be my boyfriend/lover and it's frustrating. I want to be left alone.

Maybe I will start wearing LGBT colors but it would bring its own share of problems.
Just stop wearing deodorant!

I know the comments on here about doing things to make you less attractive or even gross are probably at least half-joking - but I think it's good to realize this: you need to treat and present yourself with MORE dignity, not less in order to ward off these kinds of situations. I'm not saying it's all in how we dress - those guys are doing what they want to do. But degrading ourselves or letting it seem that we don't care for/value ourselves enough - whether that be through inappropriate clothing or being unkempt - all of that sends more of that message of being an easy target - that increases the likelihood of harassment in its own way. And we should never degrade ourselves as a solution.

i kinda think that it doesn't matter what you do, for better or worse. males will still be disrespectful of you, just because you are female. its why i suggested stronger measures.

I know the comments on here about doing things to make you less attractive or even gross are probably at least half-joking - but I think it's good to realize this: you need to treat and present yourself with MORE dignity, not less in order to ward off these kinds of situations. I'm not saying it's all in how we dress - those guys are doing what they want to do. But degrading ourselves or letting it seem that we don't care for/value ourselves enough - whether that be through inappropriate clothing or being unkempt - all of that sends more of that message of being an easy target - that increases the likelihood of harassment in its own way. And we should never degrade ourselves as a solution.

Ironically the latest episode of "The Good Doctor" covered this very scenario. Stay tuned as to see how it is ultimately resolved. Certainly worth watching, apart from the value of an autistic lead character. ;)

Ironically the latest episode of "The Good Doctor" covered this very scenario. Stay tuned as to see how it is ultimately resolved. Certainly worth watching, apart from the value of an autistic lead character. ;)
Oh wow, I haven't heard of that show! Maybe we'll check it out once we're finished with Downton Abbey :)

Oh wow, I haven't heard of that show! Maybe we'll check it out once we're finished with Downton Abbey :)

Luckily the case of harassment doesn't involve the autistic character Dr. Shaun Murphy. Though in this episode he's battling fighting off a meltdown because his boss and mentor is coercing him into therapy he doesn't want. A good example of when a Neurotypical pushes an autistic person over the edge.

Thank you for being blunt and straight to the point everyone, especially @Ambi and @Judge. The situation has been highly baffling for me and now I finally understand what's with all this. At least a bit. It's not exactly a full solution but I know partially what I need to do and I'm going to heed your advice.

Still, it's such a hassle. Just leave me in peace and let me do my stuff.

Wear metal underwear. Stab touchers with a pencil. Spray them with water. Don't just scowl – develop the murder stare. God gave you two middle fingers for a reason.

I've been guilty of calling men 'darling' or other names, if I'm honest. But I don't regard that as sexual harrassment and wouldn't be offended if/when they do it back. Flirting and 'banter' (as we call it in the UK) seems to just be a part of workplace culture in a lot of offices. No one I know takes it seriously. It just passes the time and makes it more fun to spend 5 days a week with the same people in the same place.

This is similar to the difference between "laughing at" and "laughing with" -- or the difference between bullying and friendly/affectionate teasing between friends.

If flirting and sexually-charged comments/teasing are one-sided then it's not banter -- banter requires both/all parties involved to actively participate and keep the exchange going (rather than one person quietly accepting the comments and actions of others).

They aren't seeing something super attractive in you - as you yourself have assessed. I'm not at all trying to be rude or snarky here - just factual. I'm sure you can be very attractive when you want to be.

But the fact is, this is not about sexual attraction - as someone else mentioned above. They are sexually objectifying you - that's different. Men can and often will do that with someone they don't even find very pretty. It's more about them than you: it can be a way to show off or let out their "manliness", a distraction for the boredom of work, a release of sexual energy/tension, or just plain old domination.

I worry because so far you haven't expressed (though you may silently get this) but you haven't expressed the understanding that this is not about sexual attraction or romantic feelings - so you are barking up the wrong tree by fixating on that. The opposite mistake would be to assume that because a man doesn't treat you this way that he isn't sexually attracted to you.

Basically, these guys see you as risk/hassle free - an easy target, low-lying fruit, so they feel confident enough to do all of these things without repercussions to their egos or their job status. Please, please, please don't confuse that with true sexual attraction or romantic interest. I have made that mistake before. Don't make it a secret source of vanity or sexual confidence either - because these guys are using you and it's not about your true attractiveness. But many men know that if they give enough attention to a woman, if she's insecure or unaware enough, she can succumb and think they are actually attracted and interested in her romantically in a real way.
Many people, both men and women don't see themselves as attractive when they actually are. I agree that some men can go after less attractive women because they believe they're likely to be easier to get (I've never done this, but I've seen it happen and I see it as quite "sad"), but in the op's situation it sounds like it's been going on for a while and with so many men I would think that at least some of them see the op as attractive. A woman not wearing makeup or taking care of her appearance can actually be more attractive to many men, as can a woman who is difficult to get and even more so if they're different and/or intriguing, intelligence can be an attractive feature too. Some men may be genuinely hoping to get somewhere with the op, but others are probably just trying to show off to other men and if they did get somewhere (in theory, I know the op isn't interested) they probably wouldn't stick in a relationship.

Last edited:
Many people, both men and women don't see themselves as attractive when they actually are. I agree that some men can go after less attractive women because they believe they're likely to be easier to get (I've never done this, but I've seen it happen and I see it as quite "sad"), but in this situation it sounds like it's been going on for a while and with so many men I would think that at least some of them see the op as attractive. A woman not wearing makeup or taking care of her appearance can actually be more attractive to many men, as can a woman who is difficult to get and even more so if they're different and/or intriguing, intelligence can be an attractive feature too. Some men may be genuinely hoping to get somewhere with the op, but others are probably just trying to show off to other men and if they did get somewhere (in theory, I know the op isn't interested) they probably wouldn't stick in a relationship.
Many men could find her attractive and not act that way. Men could not find her sexually attractive and act that way purely out of the desire to objectify her as an easy target. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as most people probably already know. My point is that it is crucial the OP stop making this thread about whether she is, essentially, "hot or not", or too much so. That is really missing the point - especially if she is concerned about sexual assault.

There are two different potential topics here which need to be separated - romantic/sexual attraction vs. sexual harassment. It's a totally separate topic whether she is attractive or not - that is in the eye of the beholder. But what is loud and clear to me from what she has described is that she is not reacting in a way strongly enough to send a clear enough "no" signal to these predators, not making enough fuss with management and in seeking out different employment based on the harassing behavior. Not just in the way she describes her verbal reactions to them, but also her attitude thus far, and her focusing on why she is so sexually attractive to them.

The length of time this has been going on has no bearing whatsoever as to whether they truly find her attractive or not, as women can be exploited for long periods of time whether they are attractive or not - "attractive" for what purposes? Sexual-romantic interest? Or sexual-objectification interest? This behavior she describes from them is the latter, not the former (which could be an entirely different topic, and should be, so that the seriousness of the situation at hand is not lost).

It also does not matter whether a few of those guys genuinely find her pretty - they are still treating her like an object and sexually harassing her - and it is freaking her out. And that is not due to them finding her attractive - that is due to them thinking they can get away with it, regardless of whether they find her attractive. And it absolutely does NOT matter if some of those men are hoping to actually "get" somewhere with her - get where? Get to where on the path of sexual harassment - to score? Against her will? That is not okay - it does not matter if they "genuinely" want to get somewhere - their genuine sucks based on the description - it is sexual harassment.

And any guy who really values her probably would be defending her against all of these guys bothering her like this rather than thinking it's okay for her to be treated like meat. I speak more from experience than mere theory.

Any man who uses the terms 'babe' and 'darling' need to be avoided at all costs. They are embarrassing and total dinosaurs.

I asked them to stop but was ignored so far and I don't to press so as not to be seen as 'rude and antisocial'.

It is absolutely not rude nor is it antisocial to press the issue.

It is not rude or antisocial to respond to sexual harrassment with anger, to insistently demand that the behavior stop, or to act unfriendly/distant towards those who are harrassing you.** Those are all perfectly reasonable and socially acceptable responses to sexual harrassment.

You are not in the wrong here..... The behavior of your cowokers is what's rude and antisocial, you demanding that it stop would not be.

**(By "unfriendly" I don't mean cruel or deliberately insulting, I just mean not friendly -- e.g. not smiling, not hiding it if you don't want to spend time around them or talk to them unless it's necessary.)

Last edited:
Sexual harassment, assault and the likes aren't about attraction to someone, they're about power. Either exerting what little power someone has over a person they perceive qs weaker, or as a way to compensate for the power they don't have in other aspects of their life. But it's more about the perpetrator than the target.

I definitely agree with Ambi about not dressing down, that was actually my first thought and advice. Dressing down just sends potential victim signals in a weird way, and it doesn't make you less noticeable (unless you have an suit that can actually make you 100% invisible, but we're not talking science fiction here ;) ). As a matter of fact, I've noticed that both baggy or more masculine clothing and ultra-feminine clothing do bring attention, but how people around me react to it is different: masculine clothing seems to give people the impression that they have a permission to step within my blurry, baggy boundaries and offer, at best, unsollicited advice on what I should wear, and at worst a hand on my bitt claiming that "they didn't realize they would touch my butt because my pants were so big". Seriously. On the other hand, I started wearing skirts and dresses as part of a uniform, but the person in charge of measurements messed up on the orders and I spent a year wearing a size smaller than I should have, turning the unsexy uniform of a US-based airline (we're talking late 90s-early 00s design, here, none of that fancy revamped stuff they wear now) into form-fitting pieces. Uniform implied make up and high-heeled shoes, too, hair done, etc. And... sure, it got me attention, but it got me even more respect somehow than regular clothing. I'll partially blame than on the uniform vs. plain clothes debate, though.
After that, I started wearing shift dresses outside, too, and looking like I was taking care of myself. I guess by then I also looked more confident overall. At any rate, it seems this combo gives strong inaccessible vibes, and perhaps predators just assume that someone who doesn't look bad (through effort) is more likely to not be available (and have a boyfriend who'll come beat up those guys who cross the line with their girlfriend, perhaps). I find it very sad that so many people adjust their attitude and the amount of respect they give to someone based on how they dress, but there isn't much I can do about it except dress the part of a non-target.
I'm not saying it's a foolproof technique, obviously, but it's worked rather well for me so far. Have I noticed that some people wanted to sleep with me? Sure. But they were easier to put back in their place, since I no longer looked like the mousey girl who wouldn't dare stand up to them.

Also, one final thought: I agree with everyone who explained that the guys' behavior at your workplace was some kind of pack thing, and they're trying to impress one another, claim you as a possession, etc. I should also add that I've had a couple of friends, NT girls with zero self-confidence, fall victim to bets on who could get them into their bed the faster, not because of good looks, but because their lack of confidence could be sensed. And I read a story somewhere about this poor English girl who met some guy while on vacation, and he and his friend had made a bet on who could bag up the plainest looking girl, some really heartbreaking story for the poor girl who thought she was being liked, while she was really given the runaround based on these guys' judgment on her looks. So, just be aware that there are such things going on, and that the best way to win such a bet is to be nice to the person, not downright insulting. I really hope this isn't the situation in your case, though.

Many men could find her attractive and not act that way. Men could not find her sexually attractive and act that way purely out of the desire to objectify her as an easy target. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as most people probably already know. My point is that it is crucial the OP stop making this thread about whether she is, essentially, "hot or not", or too much so. That is really missing the point - especially if she is concerned about sexual assault. There are two different potential topics here which need to be separated - romantic/sexual attraction vs. sexual harassment. It's a totally separate topic whether she is attractive or not - that is in the eye of the beholder. But what is loud and clear to me from what she has described is that she is not reacting in a way strongly enough to send a clear enough "no" signal to these predators, not making enough fuss with management and in seeking out different employment based on the harassing behavior. Not just in the way she describes her verbal reactions to them, but also her attitude thus far, and her focusing on why she is so sexually attractive to them. The length of time this has been going on has no bearing whatsoever as to whether they truly find her attractive or not, as women can be exploited for long periods of time whether they are attractive or not - "attractive" for what purposes? Sexual-romantic interest? Or sexual-objectification interest? This behavior she describes from them is the latter, not the former (which could be an entirely different topic, and should be, so that the seriousness of the situation at hand is not lost). It also does not matter whether a few of those guys genuinely find her pretty - they are still treating her like an object and sexually harassing her - and it is freaking her out. And that is not due to them finding her attractive - that is due to them thinking they can get away with it, regardless of whether they find her attractive. And it absolutely does NOT matter if some of those men are hoping to actually "get" somewhere with her - get where? Get to where on the path of sexual harassment - to score? Against her will? That is not okay - it does not matter if they "genuinely" want to get somewhere - their genuine sucks based on the description - it is sexual harassment. And any guy who really values her probably would be defending her against all of these guys bothering her like this rather than thinking it's okay for her to be treated like meat. I speak more from experience than mere theory.
I agree with most of what you've said and from my first comment I agreed that what is going on is totally wrong and is sexual harassment.

There's also a fine line between someone giving the chase thinking that a women might just be hard to get and sexual harassment, I agree that it sounds like most men here are treating her like an object, but there could also be men who wrongfully think they might eventually win her affection if they keep chasing too or worse a man could get tarred with the same brush by simply politely asking the op out once. It is important that she makes it absolutely clear that she is not interested and never will be to every man that makes any sort of unwanted advance, then if they continue after that it is sexual harassment. I say there's a fine line because my late Nan was also hard to get, my Grandad had to ask her out on multiple occasions and she wasn't interested at first, after he gave chase for a good while she reluctantly agreed to go out on a single date, but she got cold feet and didn't turn up after speaking to her friends telling them that she didn't think she liked him. My Grandad still didn't give up and after chasing for a while longer my Nan eventually reluctantly agreed to go out once again and this time she turned up, even though she didn't appear to like my Grandad at first, things went very well on the date and she fell in love with him. They were happily married for over 60 years until death did them part. My point is was my Grandad sexually harassing my Nan? That's where there's a fine line.

It would also be a great shame if the op started believing that all men are "b*s***ds" and ends up hating all men because of these bad experiences, some men really are "b*s***ds" yes and the one's that are sexually harassing now definitely appear to be, also it's true that some men do only act with one interest and see women as purely objects and/or "meat", but not all men are like this and maybe one day the op will be asked out by a genuinely nice caring man that she does like. I'm just saying that if/when that days comes I hope the op doesn't then strongly reject him simply because of bad past experiences with other men and then later regrets it.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom