• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Research and Development For Robot Surgeons Should be Perma-Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for pointing it out, and I'm well aware of that. It's important for us all to learn that if we make sweeping or insensitive statements claimed as "truth" and can't back them up, it may backfire on us. It's better to learn that in a safe online environment such as this than in a face to face engagement with less tolerant people, when one can run the risk of unpleasant consequences. Like most of us, I've been there too ;)

I bear no hard feelings, but I do know some people who would be dreadfully offended by some of the comments made herein. People who have suffered the horrendous consequences of military incompetence. Having helped some of those people regain a measure of their independence I'm somewhat hurt myself, but we all should have the opportunity to correct our mistakes and our offences.

If I did, I didn't mean to imply that you said anything that shouldn't have been said. My comment was inspired mainly by the admin's post and a general impression of Joshua's threads lately. But I hope it didn't come off as a something I was pointing out specifically to you, akin to some sort of chastisement!

Sorry if I misunderstood you @Fino
Maybe I was a bit sensitive after being upset by the previous comments you just referred to. When you're trying to help someone who has no fingers on one hand, half an arm on the other side and is virtually blind because a mortar exploded in the launcher, you don't have much faith in the weapons or the quality control that put them into service, any more than the guy who's life was wrecked by them ;)
That's just one of the tragedies I've had to deal with in my time.
I'm trying to be as forgiving as possible on the basis of youth and naiveté but I can't claim not to be emotionally wounded.

Sorry if I misunderstood you @Fino
Maybe I was a bit sensitive after being upset by the previous comments you just referred to. When you're trying to help someone who has no fingers on one hand, half an arm on the other side and is virtually blind because a mortar exploded in the launcher
If I'm not mistaken, I wasn't talking about crew-served support weapons. I'm talking about weapons that're extremely easy to carry and use by just one soldier, such as assault rifles, sniper rifles, DMRs, LMGs, GPMGs, handguns, SMGs, PDWs, Battle Rifles, and any other non-explosive weapons.

Joshua try reading these articles in full. Not picking out the bits you think support your point of view, digest the whole lot. The M16/AR15 rifle was a liability for over 20 years because of bad decisions made by the US military before finally becoming an effective weapon. Men died in Vietnam because their rifles or the ammunition in them was unsuitable.

The SA80 rifle was an unmitigated disaster for the UK military also approved by the generals and politicians.
I've known or worked to help people injured by rifles, mortars, cannon, vehicles and even navigation equipment. Please have a heart and show them the respect they deserve. They are no less victims of the governments, generals and corrupt weapons manufacturers then those who were wounded by the enemy. Surely you must have enough decency in your heart to do that?

htpps://gundigest.com/reviews/the-ar-16m16-the-rifle-that-was-never-supposed-to-be

James Meek on the £470m rifle the British army hates

And don't for one minute suggest anything has changed with time. It's as corrupt now as it ever was.

I am missing the part where rifles are surgical instruments.

Is not the topic of this thread a negative point of view regarding
robotically assisted surgery?

I believe it started around page two as a comparison between the quality control of military equipment and medical equipment, which resulted in a disagreement in the quality control of military equipment.

It was supposed to be, but then the OP changed the subject to weapons when quality control was under discussion. Shame. We were talking about preserving life and it was diverted to taking life. I've had enough of this anyway. I'm out.

I am missing the part where rifles are surgical instruments.

Is not the topic of this thread a negative point of view regarding
robotically assisted surgery?
What I'm trying to say is: a rifle, no matter how effective the companies and people that design it say that it is, isn't entirely infallible. Just like a robot surgeon, once those become A.I. controlled, would not be infallible to failure. Their is always at least just a tiny bit of wiggle room for a failure to happen, such as a bug in the A.I.'s software in the case of the previously-mentioned mechanical surgeon, in the case of the two standard-issue infantry assault rifles @Autistamatic brought up, jamming, miss feeds, and charging handles coming off.

The comparison is driving the topic far afield from the original subject.

Please direct comments toward the topic.

It was supposed to be, but then the OP changed the subject to weapons when quality control was under discussion. Shame. We were talking about preserving life and it was diverted to taking life. I've had enough of this anyway. I'm out.
The reason why nations start militaries in their nations is to preserve the lives of residents of said nation and said nation's allies, right?

So, anyways, as I said, robot surgeons won't work. Both software and mechanical errors can occur. I am using Windows 10, which, at it's surface, seems like the best and most stable version Microsoft has release to date programs crash when I use it sometimes, and sometimes, the OS, itself, crashes. The 8-year-old PC I use to run it also has it's own issues under the hood because my dad somehow seems to forget that cans of air can be purchased at the store.

Leave it Joshua, please. I don't want to engage with this nonsense any more. I've tried to help you see a more mature and enlightened view but you're not receptive. If you think "the last word" makes you the winner, then by all means post again.

Leave it Joshua, please. I don't want to engage with this nonsense any more. I've tried to help you see a more mature and enlightened view but you're not receptive. If you think "the last word" makes you the winner, then by all means post again.
Just wondering, so no offense, but what's your problem? I did change the topic.

That's been explained and every point you make has already been refuted. Maybe the thread should be closed? You could always reread it if you're confused, instead of asking people to repeat text messages.

Ok, this thread has spun out of control and at this point will be closed to further replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom