• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Research and Development For Robot Surgeons Should be Perma-Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua the Writer

Very Nerdy Guy, Any Pronouns
V.I.P Member
So, I heard that there is a few organizations that're starting to research how to make robotic surgeons. However, as a person who is into game development and making games, I find that it'd be way too impractical, and even a horrific and gruesome disaster waiting to happen. The only robots I want to see once this century's version of the 20s rolls around would be ones carrying around stuff that patients requested to be brought to them by room service. I don't want A.I. physicians, surgeons, pediatricians, or any other robots designed to replaced human healthcare professionals. Now back how I said that since I'm into game development, I said that this is a deadly disaster waiting to happen. The reason because of this is, no matter how well-polished a game seems to be, the computer, itself, can glitch out. The most notable example of this happening in games is failed collision detection by the hardware. Since I can't explain it as well, here is a Gameranx video about this. It's very informative and has enough audio/visual elements.
Just like a computer can fail to detect a character that is trying to land on the floor in a game, a robot surgeon's hardware WILL fail to detect the organ that its NOT supposed to put a needle into a rupture, and then put a needle into said organ and rupture it. No matter how good the A.I.'s programming is, its hardware is what will cause the failure, especially since it'll most likely run off one of Nvidia's scientific-variant GPUs for it's machine learning and A.I. machine, and using GPUs for machine learning, despite being more effective than CPU machine learning, is still not yet perfected. Research and Development programs for this and similar robot doctors should be discontinued, and further R&D for this crap should be banned! Permanently. Have the people who are researching this bullcrap NOT heard of Detroit: Become Human and how crap could go down there? I don't think so.

If you know anything about programming or game development then you would also know that all glitches are the cause of incorrect programming. Computers don't "decide" to glitch, they glitch due to human mistakes.

Computers simply literally execute whatever task is given to them. Computers are better at everything than people and cheaper to boot, the safety threshold for games can't even be compared with the safety threshold required for medical procedures or self-driving cars. Even including glitches, however, most likely less people will die from computers glitching than they currently do from human mistakes.

Don't worry though, as there will be plenty of people such as yourself there will remain an option to go to a human physician. Just expect it to be very expensive compared to the robotic counterpart.

How about not calling for banning everything though. I'll leave you to live your Fred Flintstone life, and you stop trying to force your Fred Flintstone life on me. Aight?

I don't want A.I. physicians, surgeons, pediatricians, or any other robots designed to replaced human healthcare professionals.

That's probably not very practical for political reasons alone. You live in a society known for social and technological progress. Not the reactionary politics of deliberately keeping society stunted in a certain point in time under law.

Besides, that ultimately rests with the scientific limitations and capabilities of artificial intelligence in the future- not the present. After all, who knows what successful technology might prevail much later on?

Of course in between, the process of research and development is likely to be a bumpy ride. But then it usually is for most anything technologically so complex.

That's probably not very practical for political reasons alone. You live in a society known for social and technological progress. Not the reactionary politics of deliberately keeping society stunted in a certain point in time under law.

Besides, that ultimately rests with the scientific limitations of artificial intelligence in the future- not the present. After all, who knows what successful technology might prevail later on?
Yeah, but, still. Computer hardware, along with the important drivers, despite seeming like a perfect entity to people who aren't familiar with tech and how it works, is not that perfect to people who do know lots about tech. I'd rather die immediately if I'm getting treatment after a life-threatening accident instead of being operated on by that wire-filled crap.

If you know anything about programming or game development then you would also know that all glitches are the cause of incorrect programming. Computers don't "decide" to glitch, they glitch due to human mistakes.

Computers simply literally execute whatever task is given to them. Computers are better at everything than people and cheaper to boot, the safety threshold for games can't even be compared with the safety threshold required for medical procedures or self-driving cars. Even including glitches, however, most likely less people will die from computers glitching than they currently do from human mistakes.

Don't worry though, as there will be plenty of people such as yourself there will remain an option to go to a human physician. Just expect it to be very expensive compared to the robotic counterpart.

How about not calling for banning everything though. I'll leave you to live your Fred Flintstone life, and you stop trying to force your Fred Flintstone life on me. Aight?
In the video, Falcon says that it happens in all games, no matter what game it is, how optimized it is, or how well the devs fixed the bugs. It's inevitable. Also, I'm fine with human doctors using modern surgical methods and procedures that are already know for being safe. It'll also put so many good people out of their jobs when they don't deserve it.

Yeah, but, still. Computer hardware, along with the important drivers, despite seeming like a perfect entity to people who aren't familiar with tech and how it works, is not that perfect to people who do know lots about tech. I'd rather die immediately if I'm getting treatment after a life-threatening accident instead of being operated on by that wire-filled crap.

You're just thinking in the present sense. However no one knows what the future might bring.

Such technology may or may not come to fruition. But I wouldn't expect society in get in the way of finding out in the process.

Also, seriously I would never compare game technology to medical technology. Very different product liability concerns and government regulation in play legally speaking.

Do you know how many people die from surgeons errors every year?

This kind of tech isn't meant for tomorrow. Think long term.

You're just thinking in the present sense. However no one knows what the future might bring.

Such technology may or may not come to fruition. But I wouldn't expect society in get in the way of finding out in the process.

Also, seriously I would never compare game technology to medical technology. Very different liability concerns in play legally speaking.
Ever heard of what might happen in a game such as Detroit: Become Human. In that game, you see humans on the streets of Detroit because androids took their jobs. Plus, some of the androids in that game have gone against their programming, and then attack, flee from, or even kill their owners. Sorry, but what you call a perfect future seems like a depressing hellscape to me.

Robot surgeries are already a very common thing. The Da Vinci robot is a good example. It performs routine minimally invasive procedures very well.
Surgeons are generally overworked, stressed and tired. They’re humans with human flaws. Robots don’t get distracted. They don’t get cramping muscles in their hands.

Do you know how many people die from surgeons errors every year?

Having been an insurance underwriter for nearly 20 years, I can assure you I was very much aware of any number of manifestations of professional malpractice exposures. Sadly beginning with my own grandmother who died from medical malpractice.

However medical malpractice in terms of both services and technology is legally mandated and regulated. Computer games are not. It's simply a matter of context and comparison. Not a statement of perfection. Another reason why the degree of liability and accountability over medical services and products is so elevated compared to other things.is kind of tech isn't meant for tomorrow. Think long term.

What about cameras? They steal your soul you know!

How many stories have we read on these very pages of people having been misdiagnosed by fallible human doctors? People make mistakes every day and undoubtedly there will be the odd mistake made in the programming of surgical robots, but with the amount of checks and balances that will be in place in the development of such machines will massively outweigh the low level quality control of a video game. We're talking budgets of billions, not the few million that a AAA game costs.
A machine programmed by the best surgeons in the world supplemented by AI learning will perform optimally every time.

Having been an insurance underwriter for nearly 20 years, I can assure you I was very much aware of any number of manifestations of professional malpractice exposures. Sadly beginning with my own grandmother who died from medical malpractice.

However medical malpractice in terms of both services and technology is legally mandated and regulated. Computer games are not. It's simply a matter of context and comparison. Not a statement of perfection. Another reason why the degree of liability over medical services and products is so elevated compared to other things.
I'm saying that the same errors could also occur in the robot's hardware, too. Just thought I'd clear that up.

Also, physicians in some disciplines (such as radiology) are being replaced by sophisticated software as we speak. Because once finely tuned, the software has a smaller margin of error than a human does. It also doesn’t need breaks, doesn’t get tired and doesn’t get distracted by social media.

Robot surgeries are already a very common thing. The Da Vinci robot is a good example. It performs routine minimally invasive procedures very well.
Surgeons are generally overworked, stressed and tired. They’re humans with human flaws. Robots don’t get distracted. They don’t get cramping muscles in their hands.

I see occasional tv advertisements about the use of such technology. That one was approved by the FDA some 18 years ago...and still going strong. Though it doesn't strike me as being entirely automated. Still, it seems to be successful and non-invasive ...nothing fundamentally wrong with either.

What about cameras? They steal your soul you know!

How many stories have we read on these very pages of people having been misdiagnosed by fallible human doctors? People make mistakes every day and undoubtedly there will be the odd mistake made in the programming of surgical robots, but with the amount of checks and balances that will be in place in the development of such machines will massively outweigh the low level quality control of a video game. We're talking budgets of billions, not the few million that a AAA game costs.
A machine programmed by the best surgeons in the world supplemented by AI learning will perform optimally every time.
Dude, just because they're surgeons, that doesn't mean they'd instantly know every line of code they'd have to write in order to create the programming. Plus, what if something is in completely the wrong place as expected, and the bot doesn't know what to do, because that something is vital in completing the operation?

I see occasional tv advertisements about the use of such technology. That one was approved by the FDA some 18 years ago...and still going strong. Though it doesn't strike me as being entirely automated. Still, it seems to be successful and non-invasive ...nothing fundamentally wrong with either.
Correct, it’s still controlled by a surgeon

Dude, just because they're surgeons, that doesn't mean they'd instantly know every line of code they'd have to write in order to create the programming. Plus, what if something is in completely the wrong place as expected, and the bot doesn't know what to do, because that something is vital in completing the operation?
Surgeons aren’t the ones writing the codes. Also, these things go through extensive testing before ever being allowed near a living breathing thing, let alone a human.

I'm saying that the same errors could also occur in the robot's hardware, too. Just thought I'd clear that up.

Research and development in debugging is quite a bit more intensive when it comes to medical technology as opposed to mere games. Not to mention all the science and politics in meeting approval of the Food and Drug Administration. Which can make or break a manufacturer. Though like everything in this world, there are no guarantees...no different than when a human surgeon has the same task.

Products liability exists with everything. Including the aircraft you fly in. Where it just comes down to probability and statistics as to whether a device is considered safe to use over a very long period of time. Though again, with no absolute guarantees. Another reason why the doctrine of "strict liability" exists for select industries and manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom