• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Recent diagnosis....confused now

Wizard_Detective

Sporadic Photographer
I was recently diagnosed with PDD-NOS and NLD. Now that I'm researching it, I get kicked to Autism sites.
This feels so weird to me. o_O

People tell me I'm strange or clueless. I get caught up and focus on the weirdest things, like when people say "calvary" when they're actually trying to say "cavalry." I got obsessed with the Celts, mythology, Jim Butcher's Dresden Files and Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles, Firefly and other things like that.
I've always been told that's not "normal," but I never associated those things with Autism or the Autism spectrum. I just figured that was me being.....me.
Does getting diagnosed mean I have to rethink my sense of self, or can I just say "pfft, it's just another useless societal label."

Does getting diagnosed mean I have to rethink my sense of self, or can I just say "pfft, it's just another useless societal label."

Somewhere in between, I believe. It's important to accept oneself as they are, but it also helps to find "tools" to navigate the world where one feels less comfortable.

If that's what you need, I hope you'll find that here. Or if you just want to hang out. Welcome!

Also: Resources | AspiesCentral.com

Congratulations on not being normal. Calvary can refer to Golgatha, a place mentioned in the Bible. I don't know what a "sense of self" entails, but if you feel like reevaluating some of your mental algorithms, then do that.

What is 'normal' anyway? Be your self and do not be who you think you should be just to be 'normal'. Normal is relative, that is what I have learned from being diagnosed. Just because you have a few obsessions, who cares as long as you are happy.

Welcome to AspiesCentral :)

Find a chair and enjoy our friendly helpful atmosphere

Hi Wizard_Detective, welcome to AspiesCentral.

Remember, you are still the same person that you were before you were diagnosed, but a label may help you to understand aspects of yourself better. Have fun exploring this fount of knowledge and experience :)

It means you can use your self-awareness to your advantage instead of allowing an NT world to trample on you on a daily basis. To know when and where to pick your battles..or walk away from them. Most of all, to know you are different- not deficient.

That said, Welcome to AC !

Welcome, Wizard_Detective! Oh man--the "calvary" thing has always jumped out at me, too! Grates on my nerves!

I've liked it on AC because the people here, by just being themselves, remind me that I don't need to live according to anyone's standard but my own.

I had rejected the notion that I was on the spectrum for a long time, but one day it just clicked. I make much more sense as an Aspie than as a neurotypical. It worked for me to rethink my sense of self, but that's because I never could accept myself before.

If you're already at the point of accepting yourself--good for you! That doesn't need to be rethought!

Thanks for all the replies. :grinning:
Maybe this diagnosis isn't a "useless" societal label. It's more of a tool. A very specialized tool that I might have use for if (when) I need it.
Still, I need to get over my own....biases? Reflex stereotyping? Mental imaging? You know, that feeling in your gut you get when you hear a word that associates with a certain mental image. Autism spectrum always flashes me to "Rain Man" or the more severe aspects because of how the media almost always portrays it. I need to get over it. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I can't deny it. :(

Thanks for all the replies. :grinning:
Maybe this diagnosis isn't a "useless" societal label. It's more of a tool.

Perspective: The diagnosis is for YOU. Not for them.

Even with a professional medical diagnosis there are no guarantees that people around you will ever understand, or want to understand.

Self-awareness, or a formal diagnosis are "tools" for you (not them) to adjust and make decisions in how best to navigate the NT world around you.

Still, I need to get over my own....biases? Reflex stereotyping? Mental imaging? You know, that feeling in your gut you get when you hear a word that associates with a certain mental image. Autism spectrum always flashes me to "Rain Man" or the more severe aspects because of how the media almost always portrays it. I need to get over it. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I can't deny it. :(

I had a similar block about it. But I found my time on this forum to be very helpful in evolving my perception of autism. It's been a great education for me--you get real, unique people on here! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom