• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Reason why I think I am on the autistic spectrum

SixTimesNine

1. I hate “making conversation.” Some people accuse me of being “rude” because I do not talk enough. I don’t say much in a conversation about third-cousin Bill, whom I have never met. I can be very talkative, however, when I have something to say about something that interests me, such as human rights.

2. People also call me rude when I am trying to be polite—and they are being rude! Every time I start to say a sentence, they talk right over me. Then they have the nerve to call me rude for not talking enough!

3. I have generally had trouble making and keeping friends. In some cases, I have put up with abusive “friendships” and even sexual relationships, partly out of not recognizing the abuse but also out of fear of not having any connections. I had an easier time with pets.

4. I was HORRIBLE at dating. I felt like everyone else knew the rules but would not tell me what they were. Looking back, I think I did not pick up on a lot of attempts of women to either ask me out or even proposition me for sex when I was younger. I did not lose my virginity until a woman made it explicitly clear that she wanted to have sex with me. Another problem with dating was that a woman said she could not relate to me discussing the authors I was reading in graduate school.

5. Fashion made no sense whatsoever to me. (I now understand it as a way to convince people to throw away and replace perfectly good clothing so that there is a market for new clothes.)

6. I was slow to grow up—I was told things were supposed to be one way when I was ten, for example, so I continued acting that way as other kids started acting like twelve or thirteen year olds. I also did not transition to a teen-age/adult haircut until I was older. I also had a hard time picking up on some of terms kids used for sex topics.

7. I don’t like to get rid of things.

8. I regretted things ending, even when I hated them! I was sad that middle school ended, but I had a horrible, horrible experience there.

9. I remember having some OT classes at a young age, but not too many details. There was speech correction—I said “froggie” instead of “foggie”—and motor skills, like cutting and skipping. I am generally uncoordinated and not a sports person. I used to get teased in gym all the time, especially for things like jumping jacks. I also showed no interest in sports, which led to accusations of being gay and physical abuse.

10. I have had some sensory issues. I hated pencils. At a young age, people told me I made noises while writing with a pencil, but I did not notice myself making any noise. I hated wooden Popsicle sticks and always kept the plastic rapper to hold around the stick. I was very annoyed by wrinkles in my socks. I still hate certain foods that people try to convince me I must really like, such as mayonnaise and seafood, that I just somehow don't realize I like them! I am "missing out" on seafood. To me, that's sort of like saying I am "missing out" on food poisoning.

11. I did not take well to people doing things differently. It annoyed me when someone called soda “pop” or pancakes “flap jacks.” And there was a McDonalds song that went “Spring, Summer, Winter and Fall” when it clearly should have been “Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter”! I still remember the time that I let another kid color in my coloring book—and he gave the blonde character from the cartoon brown hair!

12. Some humor did not work for me, such as a character disappearing behind a thin tree.

13. I hated how everyone saw all of those symbols in English class that made no sense to me. Where the did they come up with the idea that Hemingway putting grasshoppers on fishhooks was really about children??? Why did someone wearing a red jacket have to mean he was an angry person? Why not just assume he liked the color red? I hated Shakespeare. When did Romeo ask Juliette to marry him? I understood that poetry meant rhyming, but meter made no sense. How was I supposed to tell which syllables were stressed? And why would I care, anyway? Also, I could not follow reading a play. I liked reading novels (especially science fiction), but I could never visualize something from a script and frequently lost track of who said what.

14. My 10 year old daughter (and to some extent my 16 year old son) may have autism.

I want feedback on whether my experience sounds like the autism spectrum. I have tried to look into an official diagnosis, but I have not found a service provider. I tried asking my elementary school if I had a diagnosis (back in the 1970s), but the records were destroyed because of time limits.

Don't know where you live or what services there are there, but one approach is to get professional diagnoses for both of your kids (since the majority of autism services are child oriented) and then use their diagnoses as an additional reason to seek your own, adult diagnosis.

Yes, your experiences sound a lot like autism, but nobody can diagnose you over the internet. Opinions are mixed on self-diagnosis, but in my own case, I sought adult diagnosis because I wanted to know for sure. I also had a son and daughter who were both diagnosed with a spectrum disorder. I then got my health insurance to pay for my assessment.

I want feedback on whether my experience sounds like the autism spectrum.

Hello and welcome.

Whether people choose to comment on your thread to say 'yay or nay' no one can diagnose you, they can only offer an opinion.

I'm diagnosed and can only relate to a couple of things you've posted, however that's meaningless as we're all different. Every single autistic person will have their own traits.

I have tried to look into an official diagnosis, but I have not found a service provider.

If you want to share your location, someone may be able to signpost you to a diagnostic service provider.

I am in northern New Jersey.

There's a lot of members on this forum from the US so hopefully they'll see your intro post and be able to give you some useful info if you want to pursue a diagnosis.

I'm in the UK, so unfortunately I can't advise.

That's creepy about Hemingway. But yeah, you do sound like you are likely on the spectrum to me.

If you think of yourself in this way - will it help you?

Although I do wish no 12 was guaranteed 100%

You forgot number 15 :

15. Writing 14 detailed reasons detailing your suspected autism.

A lot see it in themselves are seeing it in their children.

Welcome aboard. Stick around,see if you can help anybody.

Welcome. You mentioned a lot of traits I identify with. Short of seeking out a professional diagnosis, you could try out some of the online quizzes. This is one of the more popular ones: Autism Spectrum Quotient

It also doesn't matter if you're on the spectrum or not, formally diagnosed or not, if you find the discussions on this forum useful and applicable to you, then keep coming. I hope you find this forum as welcoming and useful as I do.

By the way, is your name a reference to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

Hi SixTimesNine

welcome to af.png

Yes, Hitchhikers. A couple of years ago, I was Arthur Dent for a Halloween party at a meadery. At the last minute, I got the idea to stick a Swedish Fish in my ear.

Welcome @SixTimesNine. I think the advice to seek a diagnosis is sound. But it was fun reading your list and I can relate on a number of things. For example, I too, was slow to mature.

I hesitate to say one way or the other, but I will second others’ opinions and say it might be worth having a chat with a psychologist/psychiatrist with expertise in ASD.

Many people are happy remaining undiagnosed but strongly identifying with many ASD traits and being part of a community. For me, I kind of knew I had Asperger’s Syndrome at age 14 or 15 (I’m 33 now) when we first got internet and I was able to research this stuff, but I didn’t actually do anything about seeking a diagnosis until very recently when “social demands exceed(ed) limited capacities” and I needed to see a psychologist to deal with an anxiety disorder. If not for that, I probably never would have known, and would have just accepted my ASD traits as personality quirks since I’ve managed to build a life around my strengths and deficits (even with some pretty glaring deficits).

So, if it’s affecting your day-to-day functioning in any way, I would say that speaking to a professional is definitely worth it. And if you just feel like you’ve ‘found your people’, then definitely stick around and chat with others and read up on it. We have a great community here. Everyone’s been so helpful to me so far.

I’d also recommend Tony Attwood’s book ‘The Complete Guide to Asperger’s Syndrome’ as a general starting point if you want to do more research.

Let's just say that I agree that it's worth pursuing in taking various tests and perhaps eventually seeking a formal diagnosis through a psychiatrist or neurologist.

Coming to this online community is a good start to learn more about your possible traits and behaviors, and to compare them against ours. Lots of information here.

One thing for sure. Most people who come here and seriously pursue such a thing are likely to eventually obtain that positive diagnosis. It's just something that nags and perhaps resonates within you. Though for some of us, it can be a rocky road strewn with potholes- initially laced with denial.

Welcome to AF.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

CW child abuse, disabled abuse

Something to consider, when I contacted the clinic my insurance is willing to pay for there's a year + wait list and while the clinic acknowledges that there are people on the spectrum capable of getting married, holding, jobs, and raising children they refuse to assess anyone able to function on their own. That's acknowledgement in my eyes that the clinic is aware of a community of adults that have figured it out but aren't disabled enough to fit into their narrative. (It's the clinic Dr. Lovaas developed the use of beatings and electroshock to condition children out of stimming at. There's a lot of money in continuing the intervention that came out of that.)

I did speak with another clinic that appears to not be an ABA clinic, but I'm going to have to wait until I'm back on non-ACA insurance to pursue anything with them. I have no idea how long their wait list is. My partner has asked me to work on my childhood trauma before I reach out to my mother to see if she still has my grade school records. When I was poking around at adult assessment I did see that there is a group in Europe working on symptom based adult diagnosis. Hopefully that becomes an option in the near future. It sounds like you're already on top of getting evidence from your childhood though. Hopefully things go smoother for you.

New Threads

Top Bottom