• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Reason why I think I am on the autistic spectrum

OK that list is compatible with a possible diagnosis so IMO it's worth seeking confirmation.

I just want to address this comment :

I tried asking my elementary school if I had a diagnosis (back in the 1970s), but the records were destroyed because of time limits

You're not the first person to say something like this here. You should know that the chances of that having happened are infinitesimally small. The Autism Spectrum that we know of now wasn't even introduced as a possibility until 1981, and wasn't included in the diagnostic manuals (DSM & ICD) until the mid 90s. Prior to then, the only formally recognised autism diagnosis was "Childhood Autism Syndrome" (aka Kanner type autism) which required you be almost or completely non-verbal and have Intellectual Disabilities - what many people mistakenly refer to as "severe autism" these days.

Almost every diagnosis of verbal, functional autistic people without Intellectual Disability has occurred in the last 25 years - it's one of the main drivers behind the false "epidemic" narrative.
I was diagnosed in the 80s by a psychologist who was WAY ahead of his time and nobody knew what to do about it after he gave his verdict. They just carried on treating me like a naughty, lazy, uncooperative, obdurate child. I was threatened with borstal, despite never having committed a crime, just for being a difficult pupil who "refuses to meet [his] potential."

I have spoken to dozens of academics and doctors about people diagnosed as far back as myself and only two have ever come across someone with an "Asperger type" diagnosis such as mine from before the ICD/DSM incorporation. The highest estimate any have come up with for the number of people diagnosed before the mid 90s was "Maybe 10,000, at a push, and all of them children at the time".

So to put your mind at rest @SixTimesNine there is no chance whatsoever you had an autism diagnosis in the 1970s providing you were verbal and not Intellectually Disabled. The chances of you receiving it between 1981 and 1994 are so incredibly low it's not worth the time to investigate. Your list does have a number of pointers towards you possibly being on the spectrum, so seeking clarification is a good call, but don't dwell on the past - look forward to the future and meeting other people who've shared your struggles ;)

OK that list is compatible with a possible diagnosis so IMO it's worth seeking confirmation.

I just want to address this comment :

You're not the first person to say something like this here. You should know that the chances of that having happened are infinitesimally small. The Autism Spectrum that we know of now wasn't even introduced as a possibility until 1981, and wasn't included in the diagnostic manuals (DSM & ICD) until the mid 90s. Prior to then, the only formally recognised autism diagnosis was "Childhood Autism Syndrome" (aka Kanner type autism) which required you be almost or completely non-verbal and have Intellectual Disabilities - what many people mistakenly refer to as "severe autism" these days.

Almost every diagnosis of verbal, functional autistic people without Intellectual Disability has occurred in the last 25 years - it's one of the main drivers behind the false "epidemic" narrative.
I was diagnosed in the 80s by a psychologist who was WAY ahead of his time and nobody knew what to do about it after he gave his verdict. They just carried on treating me like a naughty, lazy, uncooperative, obdurate child. I was threatened with borstal, despite never having committed a crime, just for being a difficult pupil who "refuses to meet [his] potential."

I have spoken to dozens of academics and doctors about people diagnosed as far back as myself and only two have ever come across someone with an "Asperger type" diagnosis such as mine from before the ICD/DSM incorporation. The highest estimate any have come up with for the number of people diagnosed before the mid 90s was "Maybe 10,000, at a push, and all of them children at the time".

So to put your mind at rest @SixTimesNine there is no chance whatsoever you had an autism diagnosis in the 1970s providing you were verbal and not Intellectually Disabled. The chances of you receiving it between 1981 and 1994 are so incredibly low it's not worth the time to investigate. Your list does have a number of pointers towards you possibly being on the spectrum, so seeking clarification is a good call, but don't dwell on the past - look forward to the future and meeting other people who've shared your struggles ;)
The reason school records are scrutinized is not to look for an autism diagnosis. It's to see whether there were behavior problems, learning problems, maturation delays, suspensions, etc. Any elementary teacher can "diagnose" those things, whether before or after the advent of the autism fad.

Most assessment professionals will try to get information from the subject's parents if they are still living, or siblings, extended family members, etc. if they are not. Also, the adult assessment interview asks the subject directly about childhood memories: did you have trouble in school? do you remember any times you had a tantrum or meltdown? were you ever bullied?

Hi Sixtimesnine and welcome. I can relate to every paragraph you wrote, except I don't like novels. For 60 years I've told people I don't like to read and finally realized I do like to read, I read constantly - it's just informational stuff I read. lol And I agree with @Tom - the Hemmingway thing is creepy.
Not everyone here has an official diagnosis but it doesn't always take one to know you meet 9 out of 10 requirements. (That's just a statement). :)

The reason school records are scrutinized is not to look for an autism diagnosis. It's to see whether there were behavior problems, learning problems, maturation delays, suspensions, etc. Any elementary teacher can "diagnose" those things, whether before or after the advent of the autism fad.

Most assessment professionals will try to get information from the subject's parents if they are still living, or siblings, extended family members, etc. if they are not. Also, the adult assessment interview asks the subject directly about childhood memories: did you have trouble in school? do you remember any times you had a tantrum or meltdown? were you ever bullied?

You're absolutely right, and it would be remiss of me if I weren't aware of that. It's important that I keep abreast of changes in scientific & academic research and how it impacts on the diagnostic process to be able to write about it, however that's not what myself or the OP were talking about ;)
It was stated in the OP's second post in this thread and quoted in my previous post that:
I tried asking my elementary school if I had a diagnosis (back in the 1970s), but the records were destroyed because of time limits
Which I directly addressed. My post has nothing to do with the current diagnostic process and concerns the possibility of an autism spectrum diagnosis having been delivered in the 1970s.

New Threads

Top Bottom