• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Quiet Places for Autistics

Aspergers_Aspie

I am not sure I like the term aspie so I am using Autistics.
One of my friends said to me pubs are open but there are no places open for Autistics. I said cafes are not always quiet but they are only open in the mornings and afternoons.

Graveyards are so quiet. Deserted parking lots. I use to hang out with someone in graveyard listening to music in Hawaii.

College libraries, churches esp. monastic chapels, cemeteries, forests and parks, concert halls for the symphony orchestra if you can get there, wilderness, healthy & well-ordered home life, early mornings before about 5:30 AM, in an automobile at night, on the river, in the hills, away from large public areas.

Libraries are relatively quiet.

If there were guaranteed quiet city places I’d be happy to tell you about them and to occasionally visit them.

Trails are usually fairly quiet, except for weekends.

If there were guaranteed quiet city places I’d be happy to tell you about them and to occasionally visit them.

Trouble with libraries is people come in there listening to music on headphones. I couldn't find anywhere in the local library that wasn't people babbling in the lobby or listening to gangsta-rap on their phones. They get pissy if you request less noise.

I crave somewhere I do not have to hear other people.

I am not sure I like the term aspie so I am using Autistics.
One of my friends said to me pubs are open but there are no places open for Autistics. I said cafes are not always quiet but they are only open in the mornings and afternoons.
Churches through the week,Presbyterian ,church of Scotland ,Roman Catholic ,Anglican ,baptist

Before lockdown, the public libraries in the city where I live were often not quiet.

Yeah I don’t go to my local library anymore except to fetch a book and get out.

I don’t know where you are, but some places have bike &/or walking paths that are pretty quiet.

I am fortunate to live in a relatively quiet, small town right up against mountains.

Last edited:
I don't know if there is a way to get away from other people entirely in a big city, but there are times of the day when cafes and pathways are far less busy but you generally have to be an early riser, by the afternoon crowds tend to pick up...

In downtown Calgary, where I live, there are quiet spots where very few people hang out... I have one favourite coffee shop that is a little out of the way and is rarely super busy at any time of the day...

Or just go out for a walk on a cold winter day, there won't be many other people around at all :) That's something I do lots... :p

20200101_124124.jpg
My favorite quiet place is to snowshoe out into the woods right after a big snowfall.

It is profoundly quiet
Not just profoundly quiet, but sometimes quite hushed.

Last edited:
Ghosts. No graveyard haunts for me.:confused:
Ghosts are reporting too many autistic people haunting their graveyard.
Just picture it--you're a ghost, and you tuck back into your crypt after a long day rattling your chains, when suddenly you hear --
flap slap slap slap flap slap slap
It's crocs. Someone is wearing Crocs.
Then a voice--
"Don't tell me you wasted a Masterball on a Blastoise--"

"
There goes the neighborhood," you say, and tucking your sheet up and blowing out the grave candles before you leave, you start for quieter haunts. They see you. You sense their mortal corporeal forms are pointing at you, hear a camera click, hear them arguing whether or not ghosts show up on film cameras or digital.

I like old Catholic churches when no one else is there. I like deep forests so thick that sun nor rain reaches the forest floor. I like rivers or lakes where I'm alone. I like pretty meadows with big oak trees. I like book nooks in a mostly empty library. I like driving on the open road without traffic for hours and hours, only stopping to exercise my legs. I like high mountains and empty seashores.

What a wonderful thread!

I love it almost as much as I love being nested among the pillows with my books and my computer in my bedroom.

Fields, lakes, woods, mountain tops, fells and as rural I can find the better. If I don’t get quiet, isolation, and nature on a very regular basis I feel my mind, health, and mood suffers greatly, depression becomes unbearable and I feel crushed and claustrophobic, not to the point of considering suicide, but that’s not far away. Therefore, I make a point of seeking out these places on a very regular basis.

New Threads

Top Bottom