• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

(Question for UK users) I have med related questions??

UsernameTaken

Ok so I've been doing alot research into Autism and Aspergers in general. I know Ritalin is a bit of a hot button for some; however I suspect it may help me with my mental haziness and concentration difficulties that effect my daily life. I'm not sure if UK doctors are allowed to prescribe Ritalin to people who are on the spectrum and don't have ADHD; but I really want something to help me concentrate better and have a clearer head. I know medication isn't the answer, but I'm running out of answers at the moment. I'm not sure how to put this to my GP without sounding like I'm going to abuse them (which I don't intend to) though. I'm not sure if they're even ALLOWED to prescribe such things. If Ritalin isn't possible, what can help me with things? I really need a leg up. Currently I don't receive any therapy or treatment for my Aspergers, and I'm not sure what would help...

My mother seems completely averse to the idea of any sort of medication at all. I'm 18, so I could easily go to the doctors and get a prescription without her permission as I'm legally an adult; but I'm worried about saying the wrong thing and ending up looking like I'm just going there for drugs and that's it.

I feel desperate here, please someone respond. Life is getting more and more difficult the older I get.

Hi,

I am not experienced regarding the use of Ritalin and I only know a little from the web, as you do I expect.

If you get on well with your GP then the best thing to do it to have an open and honest discussion with them. Don't expect your GP to have all the answers at your first meeting as it is very likely that they will have to spend some time researching the idea and then invite you back for a follow up discussion.

Your Dr may prefer you to try other routes/ideas first. They would probably prefer you to see a counselor or psychotherapist to see if that would help.

I'm going to see my GP soon to ask for help as I realise that I'm depressed and not coping very well. I have no idea what the outcome will be but it can't hurt to ask for help...

All the best for now

Hi, after reading some more I don't think that your GP will easily prescribe you Ritalin unless you are also diagnosed with ADHD. You might want to have a look at this link: http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/Methylph-guidance13.pdf

It is possible that your GP may refer you on to other help and support but as an adult I have so far had no help or support from the NHS despite asking many times.

Have you thought about meeting up with others in a similar position? The National Autistic Society run a number of social support groups in the NE which you might gain from attending. It helped me to meet up with others on the spectrum and it might possibly help you too - no one likes to feel isolated.

New Threads

Top Bottom