• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Purple flowers bloom on dry lake bed in CA

oregano

So buzz off!
V.I.P Member
'They're Incredible': People Visit Drained Folsom Lake After Super Bloom Pops Up In Its Place

Folsom Lake is an artificial lake east of Sacramento built for supplying water to farmers and to control water flows on the American and Sacramento rivers. A severe flood in 1986 weakened the dam, forcing state water controllers to keep the lake at an unusually low level, meaning that it dries up faster and deeper during droughts. The current drought has, paradoxically, meant that the dry lake bed has become covered in a purple plant called lupine, attracting professional photographers and their clients as well as the generally curious. KOVR-TV's website often has streaming video problems, making watching a clip from beginning to end impossible, but you will likely be able to get an idea of what the lake bed looks like.

There are some beautiful things in the world, we sometimes have to search for them these days. Thanks for putting the lupine bloom up Oregano. Here's something I liked today:

j9ttc-lambs-carried-down-from-mountain-by-donkey.jpg

In Italy some sheep are born high up in the mountains and they need to be carried down to the grass.
This is done via donkey with special bags.

Last edited:
Beauty is everywhere, even where it's stark...

I've had a few experiences of being on dry lake beds... Here in western Canada it's common for artificial lakes to release water downstream in advance of spring melt from the mountains... This was Abraham Lake in Alberta in early June 2019, I thought there would be water (nope), so I parked next to the highway and went for a walk on the dry lake bed (very surreal), as I was walking this pickup came driving by... One of my favourite photographic moments...

Abraham Lake 01.jpg

And also one year a large artificial lake/dam here in Calgary was mostly drained for work they were doing, so I just had to go for a walk on to explore the dry lake bed... There was a channel of water (almost like a river) running along the surface, with people kayaking around, as I walked by...

Last edited:
The link froze so I couldn't see it, but, I know what Lupines look like.
They are gorgeous and one of the few blue or purple flowers in nature.
Some people grow them here in gardens, they are gorgeous.

'They're Incredible': People Visit Drained Folsom Lake After Super Bloom Pops Up In Its Place

Folsom Lake is an artificial lake east of Sacramento built for supplying water to farmers and to control water flows on the American and Sacramento rivers. A severe flood in 1986 weakened the dam, forcing state water controllers to keep the lake at an unusually low level, meaning that it dries up faster and deeper during droughts. The current drought has, paradoxically, meant that the dry lake bed has become covered in a purple plant called lupine, attracting professional photographers and their clients as well as the generally curious. KOVR-TV's website often has streaming video problems, making watching a clip from beginning to end impossible, but you will likely be able to get an idea of what the lake bed looks like.

That's cool. We have wild Lupines that grow all around where I live. They like to grow in roadside ditches here. They come in varieties of purple, pink and white. The purple are my favorite.

There's a really cool lake called "Lost Lake" in Oregon where once every year, the water all drains out through lava tubes, just like a bathtub, and then later in the year, it all fills up again.

New Threads

Top Bottom