• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have you ever met a psychiatrist as intelligent as yourself?

• Never

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Once

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
And as any other profession - you will get a really good one who cares, or you might meet an absolute chump who's in it just for the money. It's not the whole profession, it's just how it is in any field and indeed, in life.
Bingo.

I hate it when people try to use only being in it for the money as a reason to discredit psychiatry. Literally every job has people doing "just for the money". That's just a fact of life.

And it shouldn't matter if that's why they do it if they are indeed good at their jobs. A good worker is a good worker. It doesn't matter why they work as long if they're good at it.

Superior intelligence or less than -- that's not the problem. The real problem is that psychiatry is based on -- nothing but unproven claims. It's true that the meds they prescribe are sometimes helpful, and even necessary, but they're just as often damaging because prescribing is just guesswork. 'This drug works for most people, so it will probably work for you.' And if it doesn't, you're off on a wild trip of trying one after another, looking for the one that will help without the side effects making things worse.

Yes, the OP is speaking from his own experience, but it's shared by thousands of people.

I'll say it once, and clearly. There is no scientific basis for psychiatry. For anyone who's interested, I recommend taking a look at Mad in America, Mad in America - Science, Psychiatry and Social Justice While you're there, do a search for "autism." You'll be amazed,

As it seems to me here, the bad psychiatrists tend to collect around positions where their patients have less of a choice to go to them, or where the patients are not in a position to question their evaluation. So essentially all larger psych places and working with clinics and psych wards or perfoming psychiatrist evaluations.
I think the nature of the field is kinda the reason many of the worse people go there.
Many people practicing psychiatry seem to be defensive around their field, and do not want others to speak up.

Before the field of psychiatry came to exist, mentally ill people had few options other than alcohol and in some cases, opiates and other addictive substances. (Sometimes in "patent medicines" which were available without a prescription.) It is untrue that psychiatric remedies are untested - there are numerous efficacy and side effects papers in the professional literature.

Don't blame the ailment on the practitioner. In most cases, you see them because you already have a slough of problems that you can't solve on your own. Remember that.

I spent nearly half my life living with an incorrect diagnosis, put on many different medications that made me barely able to function, and my life was nearly ruined completely before I was diagnosed with Asperger's. Of course, it was a psychiatrist who diagnosed me, but she told my mother I shouldn't be told I had Asperger's. My mother knew better. So I have nothing but anger and hatred towards these quacks. All they want is to do push their drugs and make money. They don't care about making you mentally well at all.

But I dn't have to worry about them anymore because they've all left and gone down down to the states where the real money is and there are a lot more desperate and gullible people.

I adore my psychiatrist. I honestly don't think I could have acomplished what I have without her help. I've seen her since I was 10 years old, and I'm 33 now. I honestly wish I could see her for regular therapy, but the insurance doesn't cover her visits so I can only afford to see her for meds every few months. However I have a psychologist I see regularly and she's good too.

Not all psychiatrists are bad.

I've seen many psychiatrists, some of whom were awful, and have been wrongly diagnosed many times and given many damaging medications, and in the midst of it all I had the same opinions as the negative ones stated here, so I know where people are coming from.

And having gotten past it, I also know it's a generalization of a small number of negative experiences that are difficult to see as insignificant within the global context. More simply put, it's immaturity. Which is okay.

By the choices given by the OP (Or should I say lack of choices) it is a waste of time to take the survey.

Superior intelligence or less than -- that's not the problem. The real problem is that psychiatry is based on -- nothing but unproven claims. It's true that the meds they prescribe are sometimes helpful, and even necessary, but they're just as often damaging because prescribing is just guesswork. 'This drug works for most people, so it will probably work for you.' And if it doesn't, you're off on a wild trip of trying one after another, looking for the one that will help without the side effects making things worse.

Yes, the OP is speaking from his own experience, but it's shared by thousands of people.

I'll say it once, and clearly. There is no scientific basis for psychiatry. For anyone who's interested, I recommend taking a look at Mad in America, Mad in America - Science, Psychiatry and Social Justice While you're there, do a search for "autism." You'll be amazed,

Having known and was married to one, yes, it's hit or miss with medications. A good psy doc from experience knows what meds to prescribe, but you may bounce around a bit to find that fit. Often meds need to be recalibrated due to different reasons, so a good doc will pickup on this,quickly. The psy doc l am talking about treated prisoners and vets and has done well because of his understanding of medication, and the length of time he has been doing it.

Another thing not mentioned here, when patient has gone off into the deep end, this is where he steps in, administers correctly, and patient is no longer unstable. Nobody realises that all staff can be injured and the psy doc is a valuable team member in psy lockdown wards, prisons, VA clinics. Yes, there are bad psychiatrists, and somethings cannot be effectively treated, some do not respond to meds for such things as bipolar. This is a interesting topic. To support the PO's view, the top medical profession /doctor arrested for crimes is (drum roll), psychiatrists.

Last edited:
A good question for me would be: Should psychiatrists, (who are generally) the ones who see you for the shortest amount of time, be the ones prescribing psychiatric mediations for you?

I'm thinking that it's not the safest method.

Also diagnoses. I would baulk these days at being diagnosed by a psychiatrist that I'd only seen a few times. When I was younger I didn't question that until I'd spent years trying this medication, that medication and lamenting that I couldn't feel well. I said 'well, they're the professionals, they've studied for years, they must know more than me.'

I've only ever spoken with one.

He left the room, came back,
answered a phone call and left the room again during our short session,

which was even shorter because I left the building (General Hospital) after the second time he disappeared.

First and last experience with a psychiatrist.

Bingo.

I hate it when people try to use only being in it for the money as a reason to discredit psychiatry. Literally every job has people doing "just for the money". That's just a fact of life.

And it shouldn't matter if that's why they do it if they are indeed good at their jobs. A good worker is a good worker. It doesn't matter why they work as long if they're good at it.
Mmmm well here's the thing, I like making money too but I don't claim to be in the "caring profession", psychiatrists see some of the most vulnerable people in the world, so I'm Sorry but if you want to make good money, work at Goldman Sachs, if you want to care for people get into nursing or family medicine, if you want to be somewhat detached be Surgeon.
But do not claim to cure the hearts, minds and brains of people as a way to hide behind your negligence and say that "ohhh we re just like any other profession, psych Meds are just like taking blood pressure Meds bla bla bla"
That's my point.

A good question for me would be: Should psychiatrists, (who are generally) the ones who see you for the shortest amount of time, be the ones prescribing psychiatric mediations for you?

I'm thinking that it's not the safest method.

Also diagnoses. I would baulk these days at being diagnosed by a psychiatrist that I'd only seen a few times. When I was younger I didn't question that until I'd spent years trying this medication, that medication and lamenting that I couldn't feel well. I said 'well, they're the professionals, they've studied for years, they must know more than me.'
Thank you my friend, absolutely my point! Family doctors or gps know you much longer than psychiatrists and the dumbest thing I hear is ohhhh but they don't have the expertise to diagnose.... As if it's rocket science..all they have is Dsm. I'm glad more people are understanding my point. The funny thing is how defensive people are about psychiatry... Why is there no anti cardiology movement for example?

Last edited:
I've only ever spoken with one.

He left the room, came back,
answered a phone call and left the room again during our short session,

which was even shorter because I left the building (General Hospital) after the second time he disappeared.

First and last experience with a psychiatrist.
His loss.... What a douche

Before the field of psychiatry came to exist, mentally ill people had few options other than alcohol and in some cases, opiates and other addictive substances. (Sometimes in "patent medicines" which were available without a prescription.) It is untrue that psychiatric remedies are untested - there are numerous efficacy and side effects papers in the professional literature.

Don't blame the ailment on the practitioner. In most cases, you see them because you already have a slough of problems that you can't solve on your own. Remember that.
Whatever helps you sleep at night :)

If you went to Harley street I assume you are in the UK. If you want a psychiatrist who doesn't get paid loads use the NHS like the rest of us. Best paid doesn't equal best :rolleyes:.

As it seems to me here, the bad psychiatrists tend to collect around positions where their patients have less of a choice to go to them, or where the patients are not in a position to question their evaluation. So essentially all larger psych places and working with clinics and psych wards or perfoming psychiatrist evaluations.
I think the nature of the field is kinda the reason many of the worse people go there.
Many people practicing psychiatry seem to be defensive around their field, and do not want others to speak up.
Yes and their defensiveness is pathetic,very few will admit their faults and the failure of the field.

New Threads

Top Bottom