• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have you ever met a psychiatrist as intelligent as yourself?

• Never

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Once

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
Superior intelligence or less than -- that's not the problem. The real problem is that psychiatry is based on -- nothing but unproven claims. It's true that the meds they prescribe are sometimes helpful, and even necessary, but they're just as often damaging because prescribing is just guesswork. 'This drug works for most people, so it will probably work for you.' And if it doesn't, you're off on a wild trip of trying one after another, looking for the one that will help without the side effects making things worse.

Yes, the OP is speaking from his own experience, but it's shared by thousands of people.

I'll say it once, and clearly. There is no scientific basis for psychiatry. For anyone who's interested, I recommend taking a look at Mad in America, Mad in America - Science, Psychiatry and Social Justice While you're there, do a search for "autism." You'll be amazed,
Wow finally someone I have much in common with... Exactly my point! How often do we come across the anti neurology movement.. Or the anti gp movement? We can't people hold these practioners accountable.! By the way psychiatry is also a huge one sidedpower game.. If there is a complaint, who do they believe the "mentally unstable" one or the psychiatrist?
Thank you for making my day by making my thoughts feel heard.

If you went to Harley street I assume you are in the UK. If you want a psychiatrist who doesn't get paid loads use the NHS like the rest of us. Best paid doesn't equal best :rolleyes:.
No more psychiatrists for me... No meds no doctors and the Happiest I've ever been. But someone had to put them in their place Hahahha :)

Riiight :rolleyes: whatever, you do you boo. Have fun with the no meds no doctors thing when you get cancer.
P. S. We should always be wishing one another good health... Not the opposite. Unless you think I suck then that's different. But still towards one another would rather spread love not otherwise. Just saying.

I spent nearly half my life living with an incorrect diagnosis, put on many different medications that made me barely able to function, and my life was nearly ruined completely before I was diagnosed with Asperger's. Of course, it was a psychiatrist who diagnosed me, but she told my mother I shouldn't be told I had Asperger's. My mother knew better. So I have nothing but anger and hatred towards these quacks. All they want is to do push their drugs and make money. They don't care about making you mentally well at all.

But I dn't have to worry about them anymore because they've all left and gone down down to the states where the real money is and there are a lot more desperate and gullible people.
I'm sorry to hear that but all I can do is be happy that you have found a way to move on from their traumatizing actions. I laughed out loud at your last sentence hahaha because of "gone down" I literally imagined them dropping down :)

P. S. We should always be wishing one another good health... Not the opposite. Unless you think I suck then that's different. But still towards one another would rather spread love not otherwise. Just saying.
What love did you spread to thousands of competent well meaning people in the psychiatric profession? You come in here with your opinions and then paste on a smile when people disagree with you.

I wasn't wishing you anything, getting cancer is simply statistically quite likely.

What love did you spread to thousands of competent well meaning people in the psychiatric profession? You come in here with your opinions and then paste on a smile when people disagree with you. I'm starting to think that maybe you DO suck.
Love between the people of the aspergers community, this is a forum for it isn't it? Sorry if you're not getting the reactions you want.

I wasn't wishing you anything, getting cancer is simply statistically quite likely.
Condescending? Don't go into the kitchen if you can't stand the heat, I was having an exchange of opinion this is what the forum is for, to highlight past or current difficulties and rant, if you don't like it not my issue.

Love between the people of the aspergers community, this is a forum for it isn't it? Sorry if you're not getting the reactions you want.
So only people with aspergers deserve this love? What about aspie psychiatrists? One of my psychiatrist colleagues is on this forum. I doubt she's feeling the love.

Also, yes, condescending. Seriously.

So only people with aspergers deserve this love? What about aspie psychiatrists? One of my psychiatrist colleagues is on this forum. I doubt she's feeling the love.

Also, yes, condescending. Seriously.
Well if you read through my replies I have expressed genuine wishes to those who are benefiting from psychiatry. And I have wished people the best here, just because you don't get the reactions you like doesn't mean everyone thinks so, and Whether people disagree with me or not I know that there are those who agree, that's the point of a forum, different opinions.
As for your psychiatrist friend then I honestly had no idea that this forum is for people outside of the spectrum, if she's feeling that I was unfair and If she feels the need to express it then again, this is what the forum is for. I thought this place is for those who are diagnosed and sometimes their loved ones.

Well if you read through my replies I have expressed genuine wishes to those who are benefiting from psychiatry. And I have wished people the best here, just because you don't get the reactions you like doesn't mean everyone thinks so, and Whether people disagree with me or not I know that there are those who agree, that's the point of a forum, different opinions.
As for your psychiatrist friend then I honestly had no idea that this forum is for people outside of the spectrum, if she's feeling that I was unfair and If she feels the need to express it then again, this is what the forum is for. I thought this place is for those who are diagnosed and sometimes their loved ones.
My psychiatrist colleague is autistic. But yes this forum is for NTs too.
Edit: for the record the other psychiatrist I know from work is also autistic, we met through the staff disability support group. He doesn't like internet forums though, so no chance of him seeing this.

Last edited:
1. No one has been defensive as far as I can tell, except for you.
2. Can you please show me where psychiatrists claim to heal "hearts, minds, and souls"? I'm not even sure what that means. That sounds more like God.
3. It's a widely held belief here and many places that one should not rely on the diagnosis of a psychiatrist. You should see a psychologist for that. Not much debate on that one.

This one is funny because you seem to be talking to yourself. Is this projecting? Confusion? I don't even know at this point. :eek:

I thought this place is for those who are diagnosed and sometimes their loved ones.

It is, as well as a place for NTs who want to help understand their loved ones who're on the Spectrum better. We do not discriminate here. This Forum is for All.

Last edited:
1. No one has been defensive as far as I can tell, except for you.
2. Can you please show me where psychiatrists claim to heal "hearts, minds, and souls"? I'm not even sure what that means. That sounds more like God.
3. It's a widely held belief here and many places that one should not rely on the diagnosis of a psychiatrist. You should see a psychologist for that. Not much debate on that one.

This one is funny because you seem to be talking to yourself. Is this projecting? Confusion? I don't even know at this point. :eek:
If I was defensive then I would not be genuinely happy with others who have actually Benefited, again, not all my responses are about arguing I've responded to others who have benefited as well,and have genuinely wished them well. just because you don't agree or don't get the reaction you like doesn't mean I'm the "defensive" one. As for projecting, feel free to make your own analysis. Have a great day.

The funny thing is how defensive people are about psychiatry

Whatever helps you sleep at night

Yes and their defensiveness is pathetic,very few will admit their faults and the failure of the field

But someone had to put them in their place Hahahha

Don't go into the kitchen if you can't stand the heat, I was having an exchange of opinion this is what the forum is for, to highlight past or current difficulties and rant, if you don't like it not my issue.

Examples of you "genuinely wishing well."

Examples of you "genuinely wishing well."
Nice to know you chose the ones you didn't like. Lsn just because you have different views doesn't mean people can't express whatever they like. As I said If most disagree others still DO agree and like I've said in previous responses which you didn't Highlight I am GENUINELY HAPPY TO BE PROVEN WRONG because this would mean that some people in this community are doing better from psychiatry (if it's true). At the end of the day Im part of the aspergers community so yes I hope we do better and better. But I delivered the message I wanted to. If you do not have any need to engage about subject then don't if you do then do so, anything in Between us your thing. Simple. I rest my case.

because this would mean that some people in this community are doing better from psychiatry (ifit's true)

Lots of people here are doing better from psychiatry.

Depression and/or PTSD. These 2 things, among other many things plague many people on this Forum (Depression being one of many co-morbids of Autism), and the Psychiatrists they see has been helping them. Just because a few People you've seen as incompetent doesn't mean everyone in the Field is. I'm also still unsure what the hell intelligence (meeting or exceeding levels of intelligence) has to do with psychiatry anyways. It's all so silly to me.

Also many people here have gotten diagnosed with autism after going to see their Psychiatrist for something else entirely (mainly things such as ADHD or Depression as already mentioned) because those are co-morbids.

my first psychiatrist was an overworked, incorrect P.O.S.
However, my second, and current (for the past 12 years) Psych has been an absolute GEM. There are surly bad psychiatrists out there but there are plenty that do good work. I wouldn't have made it through the past two years without her. She's a friend now.

New Threads

Top Bottom