• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Programming

Wayne

It's only a part-time obsession, alas... if I could stay sucked into it all the time, I'd have a much easier time at work.

Right now I'm working on a programming language with the help of LLVM. I also love to build code generators for .NET apps to autogenerate wrappers and to keep from using reflection inside of loops. That led me to the idea of making the programming language that has runtime code generation and comple-time code execution built into it... once I discovered LLVM, it was off to the races.

I've never gone *that far* into programming. I've only dabbled in the more user-friendly languages. :) It's something I've always been interested in, but learning online is somewhat frustrating since there are no noob right through to pro tutorials for anything it seems and I don't have the time or money to pursue it at college. :(

I wouldn't mind being able to code/program but it looks very complex/complicated. I'm starting Visual Basic coding in my college ICT course soon.

It is complicated, and I lose patience because everything I want to do takes so damn long to get into a usably debugged state. But it's what I'm good at, and I enjoy it when I've got the energy for it.

I got a Computer Science degree, and then worked as a programmer since 1996.

(Wow, I've got almost 15 years experience. Where does the time go?)

I was thinking of studying Computer Science myself at one point. Might do a graphics design course first though.

I wanted to do Graphic Design, I started a GCSE in it at one point, I liked it, but I didn't get to finish it.

runtime code generation and comple-time code execution built into it

why is that so important?
I mean, it`s sure interesting, but the use...?

I wouldn't mind being able to code/program but it looks very complex/complicated. I'm starting Visual Basic coding in my college ICT course soon.
VB id outdated, i`d suggest you try VB.NET (students get the professional IDE for free!).
I am moving on to C++ now, i prefer native languages. ASM is really awesome, but complicated as hell... :/

f.

why is that so important?
I mean, it`s sure interesting, but the use...?

Consider a loop with a single dynamic/virtual call inside of it. A more efficient but still just as flexible way of doing the same thing would be to JIT a function that contains a loop with a regular function call inside of it, and then call the JITted function once through a function pointer.

Also, it would be good for making compilers for other languages.

As for compile-time code execution, if that code itself generates code, you can get templates just as powerful as in C++ but less of a pain to use.

VB id outdated, i`d suggest you try VB.NET (students get the professional IDE for free!).
I am moving on to C++ now, i prefer native languages. ASM is really awesome, but complicated as hell... :/

f.

I like native languages too. My day job uses C#, but my side project (the aforementioned language) is purely native. I'm using LLVM (www.llvm.org) for the code generator.

New Threads

Top Bottom