• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Problem with payment for Uber

I couldn't "get out" of paying the increased fare, but Dad transferred some money to my account to cover it.

Like I said to @Judge last week, at least now I know not to use Uber during "Peak" hours (so not after 5 PM GMT).
The Uber app in Birmingham states the estimated fare which allows for any surge price and then if there is a surge it will give you an additional prompt that states they're on a surge, E.g. a surge price of 2.0x, asking if you still wish to accept. The surge doesn't happen at any particular time, only if there's not enough drivers available to meet the demand in your area which I've known happen occasionally at any time, even on a Sunday afternoon on occasions. It could happen at peak times, but there's often more drivers working at these times which could still keep it at the standard rate and similarly at off peak times there could be less drivers working, it seems more likely to be at a surge price when there's a lot of traffic during the rush hour periods and at school run times, but even then that's not always the case. If you accept by accident and you cancel quickly you won't be charged at all, but if you're not quick enough you will be prompted that you will be charged the minimum fare for the driver's time, asking whether you still wish to cancel. Is the system not the same in Sheffield?

Tip: If there is a surge you can simply not accept it, refresh, add your pickup and destination again and then often the surge price will have changed, it can fluctuate up or down from one minute to the next and on many occasions I've refreshed for a few minutes until I get a standard fare again.

PS: Uber drivers have been caught trying to force surges however by communicating with each-other and all going offline at exactly the same time, then when they all return a few minutes later the system is on surge, obviously this is scamming the system and the customer, plus as I mentioned in my reply earlier I suspect there's other scams. In these cases however the price is likely to return to normal again a short while later.

Last edited:
Uber's own website stipulates that surge pricing can potentially happen at just about any time, not merely at assumed rush hours. Sadly there's lots of individual events and situations to create them, apart from colluding drivers who may be "self-regulating" the number of operators in a particular area to hike fares.

Demand for rides increases

"There are times when so many people are requesting rides that there aren’t enough cars on the road to help take them all. Bad weather, rush hour, and special events, for instance, may cause unusually large numbers of people to want to ride Uber all at the same time."

Last edited:
Uber's own website stipulates that surge pricing can potentially happen at just about any time, not merely at assumed rush hours. Sadly there's lots of individual events and situations to create them, apart from colluding drivers who may be "self-regulating" the number of operators in a particular area to hike fares.

Demand for rides increases

"There are times when so many people are requesting rides that there aren’t enough cars on the road to help take them all. Bad weather, rush hour, and special events, for instance, may cause unusually large numbers of people to want to ride Uber all at the same time."

That's Taxi firms in general, but not all firms do the surge pricing, I used local firm Excel last week, I rang 'em up to check whether they did the surge pricing after 5 PM, and they said no it's normal pricing, so I confirmed the booking.

That's Taxi firms in general, but not all firms do the surge pricing, I used local firm Excel last week, I rang 'em up to check whether they did the surge pricing after 5 PM, and they said no it's normal pricing, so I confirmed the booking.

By all means if you find someone else with consistently better terms, use them.

I just don't think Uber is as great an alternative to conventional taxi service that they claim to be. Not to mention the number of scandals they've had.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom