• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Problem with payment for Uber

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic,

Just had an email from Uber based on a trip I booked last Wednesday tea time from Cineworld to Home.

They said the charge for the trip would be 2.7 times the normal price due to "increased demand", and it was going to cost me about £9 normal fare, whih I had enough on my card to cover, but they sent me an email just now, the fare was £25.81!

Is there any way I can either contest or get out of paying this? As I don't get paid on the particular card I use for Uber journeys till this coming Tuesday, and £25 takes a big chunk out of the money which is supposed to last me 2 weeks as my benefits get paid fortnightly.

Please do not tell me to just Google the problem.

Why even use Uber they obviously tell people a certain price (£9 you was told) but it probably has a meter in the car which made it become a lot more
So doubt you can get out of it
Seeing has your on benefit it's a bit silly to be using Ubers

Why even use Uber they obviously tell people a certain price (£9 you was told) but it probably has a meter in the car made it become a lot more
So doubt you can get out of it
Seeing has your on benefit it's a bit silly to be using Ubers

Your equals you're,,

And when it's not "Peak" time they do tend to be cheaper than the main Taxi firms, particularly local firm City Taxis, who charge £3.80 call out fee before you even go anywhere plus an additional £1.40 a mile.

@Rich Allen

But "your" doesn't equal "you're."

your means belonging to you
you're
is the contraction (short way) for saying you are.
=====================

Maybe what you are trying to say,
when you say "your equals you're"
is that the person you are correcting

has mistaken the one for the other.

I'm not thick I just tend to type quickly rich

Any way to your Uber problem I suggest just using normal taxis

Sounds like you've been the victim of "surge pricing". Something Uber is doing world wide apparently. Given how brazenly up and front Uber seems to be about this practice, I doubt you have any recourse at all.

Looks like the only real thing you can do to protect yourself in the future is to use your smart phone to look up Uber's "surge pricing" relative to the map of the area you are traveling in. If the colored portions of the map turn progressively red, it means those higher price multipliers are applied at the time you hail an Uber driver.

No matter how far in advance you might make travel arrangements, it looks like it all comes down to perceived conditions as you begin the ride. But how are such conditions perceived to jack up the price?

Sounds like a RICO violation to me. :rolleyes:

How surge pricing works | Uber

Last edited:
Great advice from Judge.

Uber are notorious for overcharging (ripping people off). Local mini-cab firms are much more 'price friendly'.

The other thing you can do (that I suggested before):
  1. Open a separate checking account just for internet/high-risk transactions.
  2. Only keep a small amount on it (like £5) to keep it open.
  3. Get a debit card but no paper checks.
  4. Do not enable ODP [overdraft protection] on this account or debit card.
  5. If you have only one PayPal account, connect it to this bank account.
When you go to take a £9 Uber ride, move £9 into that account. If they only charge £9, everybody is happy. If they charge more than £14, they won't get your money and you can bring your bank into the dispute. (You might end up owing the difference, but they won't have unlimited access to all of your funds to take whatever they feel like charging.)

It is a good idea to keep your main funds in an account with no debit card nor paper checks* as a de facto savings account. And a bank account for your regular, available spending money with debit card, paper checks, but no ODP.**

*You can still issue checks/payments through on-line banking.
**For normal, low-risk purchases.

Last edited:
Oh you are one of them people who always correct grammar and spelling :unamused:

Rich beat me to it lol, but I was going to say: take a look at his thread, regarding nazi grammer.

My husband is a bit like it too. I can send him a text and he will say that it was riddled with errors, so we scroll to see and I am in shock, because it may just be ONE spelling error. I then kindly point out that he somehow cannot tell the difference between: women or woman, as he is always mixing them up.

Rich beat me to it lol, but I was going to say: take a look at his thread, regarding nazi grammer.

My husband is a bit like it too. I can send him a text and he will say that it was riddled with errors, so we scroll to see and I am in shock, because it may just be ONE spelling error. I then kindly point out that he somehow cannot tell the difference between: women or woman, as he is always mixing them up.

Grammar, not grammer.

Uber are a really crap company to contact because there's is no phone number for customers and their online customer service really is awful. UberEats which is the same company and deliver takeaway food to your door is in some ways even worse because in a situation where your food turns up wrong, or worse doesn't turn up at all there's nothing you can do except wait a few days for Uber to get back to you while you are out of pocket and hungry. I found that writing to them online and also writing on their Twitter page got their attention quicker however, they really don't like bad publicity and you could do the same with an Uber taxi complaint.

Firstly contact them online to complain, if the price was on surge and you only agreed to pay the normal amount or it didn't clearly inform you of the higher price that you have to agree to (you should be clearly prompted), it is illegal for them to increase the price later and if they then take it from your bank without consent it's effectively fraudulent, you can threaten to contact your local council who licence them and your bank to report them, that should get their attention because Uber are already in severe trouble in London where the council has refused to renew their licence, they're only currently allowed to operate for the time being while the case goes to appeal, but if they lose it's the end of Uber taxis in London. I suspect they will keep their licence because they've become far too popular, but there is bound to be various conditions where they will have to vet their drivers much better and they may have to improve their customer service. Other councils are almost certainly watching the London case with interest because it will most likely ultimately determine Uber's fate nationally and if they're forced to improve, other councils are likely to insist on the same conditions. If after contacting Uber to complain you still don't get your money back I really would contact your bank and the council, you could also contact trading standards, please click here and type for post code in for contact details in your area. Even if you were prompted, you obviously didn't realise you were being charged a huge surge price so you still have an argument, I don't like doing it, but if you wanted to play dirty you could accuse them of taking advantage of a vulnerable adult.

Various other taxi operators have also introduced similar phone Apps where you can track drivers, the rates maybe a little more, but other companies don't usually have surge prices based on demand and it depends on where you live, but many private hire taxis only charge per mile, not per mile and per minute which means you pay the same price for your journey every time no matter what the traffic or demand. Some councils may however charge different taxi rates at different times which may or may not apply to private hire taxis, E.g. you might pay more after midnight. The biggest advantage of using another taxi company however is that you can contact them immediately over the phone if there was ever an issue.

Other issues with Uber taxis I've experienced:

I've noticed that often Uber drivers are refusing to come to shorter journeys even after they've been assigned, they can sit there for ages without cancelling, hoping you will cancel and pay minimum fare. I have been stuck on numerous occasions when this has happened where the driver won't come and won't cancel at their end, eventually they usually cancel, but it can take up to 15 minutes. I suspect this is a scam and recently I even had a driver refuse to come that called me asking me to cancel that would have cost me £4.25, I refused and I was left for 15 minutes where I couldn't rebook another taxi, standing in the cold and I am reporting him to Uber.

I have also noticed some drivers cancel repeatedly when the prices are normal rates and on the verge of a surge price, I've had it where so many have cancelled that the system asked me to rebook and then it was a surge price, this was obviously extremely unfair and I suspect drivers are doing it on purpose hoping to force surge prices.

The quality of some drivers and their driving is awful as is some of their vehicles, it's no wonder London want to prevent them from renewing their licence. For instance, I have issues with my legs and it takes me time to get into a vehicle, but recently one driver started moving when I was only half in the vehicle with the door open and one leg still outside, it took a couple of loud shouts before he finally stopped and he could have severely injured me. On a few occasions safety belts have been faulty on the back seat and sometimes I've seen them frayed, this wouldn't even pass an MOT, let alone be legal for a taxi. A few drivers have driven dangerously and I know as an ex driver who no longer drives due to health issues.

Often the driver doesn't see the same information about the pickup location that you do, for instance I can book from by local Morrisons superstore and the phone tells me to "meet at the pickup point for Morrisons", however the driver often calls and asks me where I am because they only see a road address with a house number, so unless they happen to know the number is Morrisons, they're often driving along the long road outside looking for a house number that isn't visible, without driving into Morrisons car park to the taxi pickup point where I'm waiting by the entrance. Another issue is the position of the pickup pointer on the map, if I book a vehicle from my home address the pointer is always half way down my street which I have to walk to, nowhere near where I live, but if I then manually move the pointer to my flat it shows an address that is at the opposite end of the street. I used to move the pointer to my flat and most of the time it worked fine despite showing the incorrect address, but once a driver decided to park the opposite end of the street, stating that I was in the wrong by using the incorrect address, so what-ever I do I can't win with their extremely flawed system that they refuse to correct or are unable to.

Many Uber drivers that operate in Birmingham are actually from another area completely, often Wolverhampton and many seem to have a poor knowledge of Birmingham roads that can definitely show. This is apparently because it's much easier to get a licence from Wolverhampton council as they're less strict, but once they have a licence there is no law to prevent them from working in Birmingham anyway. Many true Birmingham taxi drivers are quite annoyed.

Many Uber taxis are hard to spot as taxis at all, some only have a licence disk on their windscreen and no other taxi markings what-so-ever. I suppose this isn't a major issue, but in my opinion all taxis should still be clearly marked.

I am considering not using Uber taxis any more because of all the issues, even though they can be cheaper unless there's a surge price or they're stuck in traffic for ages (in Birmingham private hire taxis unlike "black cabs" and Uber only charge per mile, not per minute too).

PS: On UberEats most of the time the delivery person doesn't turn up in the mode of transport the system states, E.g. an Uber bicycle is usually a car or they turn up with a different car registration to the one reported. I've had a driver that didn't turn up at all even though I was waiting for him on the street outside for ages and I was left hungry without food, out of pocket with no way of getting Uber to reply for a few days with similar online only contact methods as with Uber taxis (I got them to respond the next day after spamming their Twitter page), on that occasion the driver definitely took the food I'd paid for as I spoke to the restaurant. I've also had food turn up with items missing and again I've been left without being able to resolve the issue on the evening, even the restaurant couldn't help and they swore the items were included, so again I suspect the Uber driver eat them. I now use Deliveroo or Just Eat instead.

Last edited:
I have no idea on how to solve your problem, but i just want to say that I hate Uber and all this economy movement pretending that individuals are free but in the end this is just about a bigger worldwide compagny forcing people to work with less rights than standart employees because they are "freelancers."

Last edited:
I have no idea on how to solve your problem, but i just want to say that I hate Uber and all this economy movement pretending that individuals are free but in the end this is just about a bigger worldwide compagny forcing people to work with less rights than standart employees because they are "freelancers."
In some ways this is true, but you also don't have to become an Uber driver, it is entirely your choice, no-one is forcing you. Similarly you could choose to become a taxi driver with any company and this has been the case for many years, it's just that Uber are making it easier than ever, although this could end in the UK with London refusing to renew Uber's licence, if they lose their appeal it will be the end of Uber in London and other councils will then probably follow suit, but I suspect it will end with them keeping their licence under various conditions that will include vetting drivers better in a similar way to other taxi firms.

There's also always been franchise opportunities where you run your own business and there's also numerous sales "positions" where you are paid entirely on commission, I could attempt to sell thousands of products or services if I wanted to as a freelancer with no employment rights what-so-ever, unfortunately it is extremely difficult and the vast majority of people attempting this fail, often without even selling a single product or service, let alone enough to make any sort of reasonable income. Another is Twitch streamers and Youtubers, again there's no employment rights and despite the top Twitch streamers and Youtubers making a lot of money, most fail and earn barely anything, similar is true from people who try to earn money from other websites and advertising revenue, although with perseverance you can more often earn a little with Google Adsense if you get a reasonable number of website visits and stick carefully to their rather strict terms and conditions which can help pay for hosting fees at least. With all these "opportunities" however no-one is forcing anyone to take them up. This leads onto many false "get rich quick" scams, but that's another story.

Last edited:
No one is forcing, but this model is becoming more and more the norm that everyone will have to follow in a not so distant future; "independant" workers actually depending on a big compagny that changes the rules of their relationship however they want for their profits.

The more we allow this to even exist the more place it will take in our society until it will eat all it can...

I sound leftist ( i am definitly not) but this is realy something that bothers me.

Twitch and youtube is a similar model yet, the popularity of those websites started with people using it not for money, so , this is a more complicated situation.

New Threads

Top Bottom