• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Preserving History

Heber Richins

This is a 1948 American Lafrance 700 series fire truck. Built in 1948 by the American Lafrance for the Modena Fire company in Chester County, PA. After 15 years in service, it was sent back to American Lafrance to be refurbished and the lights upgraded. in the 1970s the truck was sold to a gentleman in Eastondale, MA. Eventually the truck made its way out here to New Mexico. in the late 1990s early 2000s the truck was sold in auction to a Mr. Allen Hill who helped found the Lordsburg Hidalgo County Museum where I volunteer. a short time later, the truck was in the middle of the Light parade in Lordsburg when it came to a stop and died, mice had gotten into the electrical systems. the truck was towed through the rest of the route and was then taken to the Museum and placed behind it, in between two shipping containers, and has remained there ever since. a couple months ago after seeing it for the first time, I did some research on it, found where it came from originally, and when it was made. I also asked the Modena Fire department about it, and they were able to give me some info on it. once i learned there was plans to restore the truck I volunteered to help with the project. Last week I started out by cleaning out any trash, mice droppings, cobwebs, dirt and dust from inside the cab. got most of it out this last week, tomorrow I will do scrub the floor of the cab to get any remaining dirt and junk off the floor, and then get started on the back part of the cab. Next week i want to finish whatever i can of the cab then work on the side compartments then the back compartments. then I'll work on cleaning the vegetation away from the truck.

The Restoration Project will cost up to $30,000, however the museum is hoping to get the truck restored for less. the truck is the middle one out of the 3.

modena truck phto 2.jpg

modena 1.jpg

modena number one phto 1.jpg

inside of the fire truck.jpg
fire truck inside dashboard.jpg
driver side passenger seat.jpg
hose reel.jpg
rear of the truck.jpg
wood condition.jpg

Attachments

• passenger side rear seat.jpg
    passenger side rear seat.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 27
The best thing you can do IMO is get the vegetation out of that area. I think that should go higher up on your list of things to do. Tall grass and leaves/sticks attract vermin because they feel protected, hidden. It'll help make what work you do viable for longer. Rake around and under it, too. This will make everything else you do there more pleasant.

Now, people have already shown interest in restoring this rig, so you're next moves should be deliberately chosen to show the potential of the truck. You know, put it's best face forward so people can get emotionally involved and make those restoration plans a reality. I think washing the windows, gauges, and the lights/lenses plus giving all the chrome bits a polish would work wonders in making the truck look a lot less junky. Give people a glimpse of what's hiding under years of neglect. I wouldn't wash the whole truck in that spot, though - use as little water as possible where it's at RN.

I cannot tell from your pics if the tires have air or not, but the tires being aired up and verified to be rolling will help a ton in getting the truck removed from that spot to a better spot or the place where it will be restored. This may be a filthy, brutish task though, so you'll need help with this.

I don't think you'll get it running in that spot but, in my experience, "legends" of why an old vehicle won't run should be taken with a grain of salt. The wiring may be bad, but it could also be many other things. Regardless, it shouldn't be run or diagnosed until the fuel system is cleaned (or temporarily bypassed) and you'll need skilled help for that. There are car people on here that may be able to help - some who used to work on 6 volt cars with generators and points. If it doesn't have old batteries still in it you'll need an "expert" to figure out if it's a 6 volt system or has been converted to 12 volt.

If the truck looks decent and it can be easily moved the odds are much better the restoration will begin. The people with the power/money must be feel such projects are reasonable and have a high chance of success. Show them this is the case with this truck.

Above all: watch your butt. There could be more than mice in there so be vigilant about your surroundings for slithering and flying dangers. I'm sure you know this, but is cannot be overstated.

Nice machine, I love preserving older machinery too.

I'm involved in the National Pike Steam Gas and Horse Association located on the National Road aka US 40 outside of Brownsville, Pennsylvania.
Spread out over 150 acres now, we have the largest active antique excavation show in the country and possibly the world.

Being a fourth generation machinist among other things, I am entrusted to run live demonstrations on century old machinetools we run off lineshafts.

Our oldest piece of equipment is a planer table that can be no newer that 1870, so she likely made parts during the civil war.

This percussion well drilling rig built on a 1939 Ford chassis is parked in front of my shop out on the showgrounds.

It was built and operated by Fred R Clark & Son for years and was found and brought back to display condition by Fred's great grandson.
A lot of the equipment in our shop was donated by Fred Clark Jr. after he retired

I'm a believer in conservation rather than restoration. But when you encounter a wreck like this is it really that hopeless?
3.thumb.jpg.52a6d506b94ebd2ea64082967fa5d64f.jpg

Well, someone chose to save it and the first thing to do is find a chassis.
IMG_2346.thumb.JPG.d7b9ae7362676b1bb13cc58c699e6257.jpg

It still looks pretty hopeless but here's it's brother; same chassis that was restored from an incomplete wreck to military trim.
IMG_2349.thumb.JPG.56723adf92d3b8524ce25588f670da4b.jpg

Progress.... One WW1 era London bus brought back from the dead.
31D4CFD2-EF45-4FB2-AA14-A9379A82565D.thumb.jpeg.d79959a588a5b4a5b3698f8cf9a1fd05.jpeg

And something else rescued from oblivion

IMG_4547.thumb.JPG.aca80de753c9f08cc96d471693787652.jpg

It once looked like this; an RAF Leyland mobile workshop.
1844505147_Leyland3.thumb.JPG.2a7bcb7dec32fa155fc7f5a06e381312.jpg

The owner has, somewhat incredibly, found some of the correct equipment to re-create this as it was when new. It will live again.
IMG_5857.thumb.JPG.4c7d7b4501b3ac21169fd644253dab86.jpg

In a throwaway society we have to preserve historic artefacts and some go to extreme lengths to do it.

Great stuff!

That fire truck won't be an easy restoration

Some of the other "things" shown here, rather interesting...

New Threads

Top Bottom