• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Power tools

Power tools?

• Hate power tools

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Eh, I don't mind

Votes: 18 62.1%

• Total voters
I don't really use power tools. Maybe it's a stereotypical female thing but I'm not interested in them or building things with them. Also, I'm nervous about how one little slip with those things and you have less fingers than before.:fearful:

I'm that go to guy in my neighborhood when someone needs a tool they don't have.
C'mon over and grab what you need next time ;)

I know the feeling. I call it "The Friendly Neighborhood Mechanic Syndrome".

I have to admit I am still a little nervous to this day using them, but have always seen them as a necessary means to an end. At this point of my life the goal is scoring intergalactic happiness credits with my wife, usually in the form of home repairs or remodeling. This is something I just built for her for Mother's day, a raised planting bed. I used 4 different power tools. I could have used a 5th if I'd had one.

View attachment 54345
I love anything made of wood. Here's a picture of my most prized possession - a small bar that my son made for me.
286715_2064169812334_5657239_o.jpg

Oh I did add something to it.
30710421_10212219207103847_7256984739997810688_n.jpg

It looks great! I like the angular legs. I think they give it greater strength.

Tools may be the one thing I have in common with normal guys. I walk into a home improvement store and I instinctively want to look at the tools to see if there's anything I need.

But watching me work with them might annoy you because:

1) I am paranoid when working with power tools. I have two family members that are each missing two fingers from table saw accidents. So, any time I use a power tool, I plug it in, use it for the immediate task, and then unplug it. Drills, table saws, air compressor - nothing stays plugged in when it's not in use.

(I just used the air compressor to run a staple gun a few days ago. Every time I put the staple gun down, I turned off and unplugged the air compressor, then drained the air so the staple gun couldn't accidentally go off.)

2) Everyone else in my family jumps as soon as I turn a power tool on, even if they know I'm working on a project. Some of my kids scream every time I turn them on (yeah ... one sign that they may have inherited my "gift"). So, every time I turn something on, I have to loudly announce, "Loud noises coming up! I'm turning this on!"

I hated when I was a kid teenager not diagnostics at the time and I was forced by my uncle who was a handyman who was too cheap to hire someone and wanted to do it himself forcing to hold things to put nails in. I hated holding things up and I hated the sound but I course no one knew what I have. Now they won't ask me to do it anymore.

Can't say that I hate them. I grew up always wishing people would let me use them, but no go. I don't like when they're used in ambience, though.

Does anyone else absolutely despise power tools? I have ever since I was little I remember my dad would get mad at me for it (mechanic and plumber). He'd always try and get me to use them. The loud screaming noise scares the crap out of me and put me on edge/high alert. I used a power tool with my husband for the first time this year :) I felt safer using it since it was just a spinning buffer instead of like a nail gun or drill.

I always wanted to use a drill or power screwdriver since it'll make furnitures more sturdy, can save money by assembling diy, but i dont know how & it seems scary~:confused: I always love to watch the diy shows though..

Need courage to ask somebody to teach me which is the correct tool & how to use it.. :confused:

Congratulations on your first time using it! :smiley:How does it feel? Sense of accomplishment?

I hate cordless power tools. Because the battery always goes dead before I'm done with the job, then I have to stop the project and wait for it to charge back up. By then I've lost my train of thought, or my spirit. Or buy another battery, but it's sometimes dead before the first one charges back up. I'd rather just have something with a cord, it's predictable because I have full power all the time, no stress or worries. I have extension cords that will reach anywhere I need.

My 15 year old drill went up in smoke, so I searched long and hard for the perfect replacement. I wanted a 1/2" keyless chuck, side handle, variable speed, with a cord. ONE place had it, Sears, and it was on sale. Now Sears is going defunct, I wonder where I'll find my next one. Hopefully this one lasts another 15 years.

I hate cordless power tools. Because the battery always goes dead before I'm done with the job, then I have to stop the project and wait for it to charge back up. By then I've lost my train of thought, or my spirit. Or buy another battery, but it's sometimes dead before the first one charges back up. I'd rather just have something with a cord, it's predictable because I have full power all the time, no stress or worries. I have extension cords that will reach anywhere I need.

My 15 year old drill went up in smoke, so I searched long and hard for the perfect replacement. I wanted a 1/2" keyless chuck, side handle, variable speed, with a cord. ONE place had it, Sears, and it was on sale. Now Sears is going defunct, I wonder where I'll find my next one. Hopefully this one lasts another 15 years.

Is this a Craftsman brand item you speak of?

The Craftsman brand lives on, despite the slow demise of Sears. Lowe's is now an official retailer of the Craftsman product line. Thank goodness, because they do make superior tools of all kinds. But is there a Lowe's Home Improvement store nearby?

Is this a Craftsman brand item you speak of?

The Craftsman brand lives on, despite the slow demise of Sears. Lowe's is now an official retailer of the Craftsman product line. Thank goodness, because they do make superior tools of all kinds. But is there a Lowe's Home Improvement store nearby?

Yes Craftsman. Thank you, good to know. There are several Lowe's stores around, one about 12 miles away. The local Ace hardware is also selling Craftsman, but I thought maybe they were just getting the stock from the Sears next door that is closing soon. I thought maybe the tools would disappear when Sears was totally gone. The Kmart next to Sears was selling a bunch of the Sears appliances, but the Kmart just closed up too.

New Threads

Top Bottom