• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Power tools

Power tools?

• Hate power tools

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Eh, I don't mind

Votes: 18 62.1%

• Total voters

CassLovesBears

Alekzandra
Does anyone else absolutely despise power tools? I have ever since I was little I remember my dad would get mad at me for it (mechanic and plumber). He'd always try and get me to use them. The loud screaming noise scares the crap out of me and put me on edge/high alert. I used a power tool with my husband for the first time this year :) I felt safer using it since it was just a spinning buffer instead of like a nail gun or drill.

I clicked on this thread instantly because I've always hated power tools. Which is frustrating, because I'm a handy guy that likes to fix things. But unless I am completely overwhelmed with "doing it the hard way" (hand tools), I shy away from power tools. They make the job so much easier though, so sometimes I just suck it up.

But when I'm not involved? Absolutely despise. I hear them all the time and even find it annoying or even rude when neighbors many houses away are using power tools. "Don't you know you have neighbors?!" It was particularly bad a few weeks ago when I had solar panels installed on my roof. The ungodly noises they were making... I felt unglued.

I don't like table saws or circular saws or chainsaws. The high pitched noise makes me slightly deranged and dizzy, and clumsy and unthinking. I just want to stop the noise. I've used them all, with ear protectors on but I don't like them.

Prefer a reciprocating saw, and the buzz of a battery powered drill which doesn't bother me at all, don't even mind a metal grinder but dislike the rest of the high powered, high pitched whine tools.

Last edited:
I dont like the noise but i love the idea of power tools. My husbands have always used them but i didnt ask them to show me how to use them...they were busy and i didnt want to bother them.
I asked my current husband a couple of times to let me use the smaller tools like drill and screw driver, which i think is the same tool but with different attachments...but he said i couldnt handle it. How much does it weigh? Three pounds? Anyway there should be a choice of Love Power Tools and i would have voted that.
I would wear my Ruger hearing protection if necessary so i could use them and make noise.

I can barely handle a screwdriver, let alone a POWAH SCREWDRIVER!!!!! with a little engine attached, or something. That's an explosion of shattered whatever waiting to happen.

I appreciate power tools and the value they have. I have to proactively manage how the noise impacts me when I use or am around them. It’s something I can manage pretty good.

I don't like the noise that they make, but I like using them. If the noise bothers me (and it usually does), I can wear ear defenders or earplugs or both.

I was terrified of any type of tool until about 8 years ago when I got my first ever power tool, a drill. Now I wish I could get an entire workshop of power tools :p Hopefully (finances permitting) I can add a jigsaw and sander to my collection.

I hate jackhammers so. Damn. Much. Must cross the street if I see someone using one on my side of the street. Must cover ears. Even covering ears, it hurts to have to hear. I cringe and wince.

I have a somewhat irrational fear of them because I don't have good fine motor skills, so I imagine that I would do some serious harm to myself if I attempt to use one.

I have spent 55+ years making a living with my tools and power tools are a big part of that. Power tools save time. In my business, time is money. I particularly like battery powered tools. I have six tools that use the same battery. I have eight batteries and keep four or five of them in my truck, along with the tools. That way, I always have power for my tools.

I have a home hobby machineshop.
In fact, I was raised on one.
There is a woodshop in my home.
I do home repairs and light construction work.
My love of motorsports requires the use of pneumatic tools.
I own several chainsaws and a gasoline earth auger.
Leaf blowers, weed whackers, gasoline air compressors.

Air hammers, electric hammers and no doubt dozens of other items too numerous to list.

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't have some noisy and dangerous piece of equipment in my hands.

Only thing I really dislike is leaf blowers. Partly because why waste the gas and make the noise to blow the leaves all to one side of the yard when the wind is just going to blow them back anyway.

I prefer doing things by hand, but some power tools are a necessity for what I do. Primarily a drill and grinder. But I still consider them hand tools, as opposed to a punch press to make holes, or a plasma table to cut out parts.

Even though I have a garage and a large toolbox I picked up, I still find myself in the habit of dragging around 2 or 3 carry-size boxes of hand tools, a floor jack and a couple hammers, and doing everything on my hands and knees instead of on a lift or workbench. Or bending steel over the corner of a table rather than use a pressbreak.

I have to admit I am still a little nervous to this day using them, but have always seen them as a necessary means to an end. At this point of my life the goal is scoring intergalactic happiness credits with my wife, usually in the form of home repairs or remodeling. This is something I just built for her for Mother's day, a raised planting bed. I used 4 different power tools. I could have used a 5th if I'd had one.

table.jpg

I have to admit I am still a little nervous to this day using them, but have always seen them as a necessary means to an end. At this point of my life the goal is scoring intergalactic happiness credits with my wife, usually in the form of home repairs or remodeling. This is something I just built for her for Mother's day, a raised planting bed. I used 4 different power tools. I could have used a 5th if I'd had one.

View attachment 54345
I'm that go to guy in my neighborhood when someone needs a tool they don't have.
C'mon over and grab what you need next time ;)

Love power tools. They often make a job so much easier.

Though I approach the use of a power tool much like that of any firearm. Use with great caution. Never take them for granted.

Last edited:
I'm too clumsy or dyspraxic to use power tools. They seem very efficient if you understand what you are doing though!

Well, I put that I hate them, but it's more that they scare me. I do use an electric drill/screwdriver. Which when I put the drill bit in, I'm way more cautious and don't do it often. But anything that cuts just scares me.
I had decided once that I was going to get a small chainsaw and cut up some of the fallen or smaller trees in my yard to use as firewood so I went to Home Depot and bought one. I read all the directions and started reading about the kickback. I put the instruction booklet back in the box and returned it to Home Depot. The lady asked if something was wrong with it and I told her, "No, I was just reading the instruction booklet and it scared me." She laughed and said, "Well, if the instructions scared you, the saw would definitely scare you."

Does anyone else absolutely despise power tools? I have ever since I was little I remember my dad would get mad at me for it (mechanic and plumber). He'd always try and get me to use them. The loud screaming noise scares the crap out of me and put me on edge/high alert. I used a power tool with my husband for the first time this year :) I felt safer using it since it was just a spinning buffer instead of like a nail gun or drill.
I do not have Asperger's (I am on here because my son has it) but I have always hated the noise of power tools as well.

I used to be a furniture designer and built a lot of furniture in the past, and most recently Ive taught woodworking at an elementary school, and like others, I quite enjoy working with (some) power tools. I used to minimize the noise from various tools, such as miter saws, by wearing moldable wax or silicone earplugs, which were quite effective, however the noise from those saws still bothered me and I was never keen on using them. Indeed, as jojo_LB mentioned, I find jackhammers to produce the most unbearable noise and I try to avoid walking in their vicinity, at all costs!

New Threads

Top Bottom