• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Post something Weird or Random

By the way, what’s the etymology behind the word “cure,” and why do we use it for cooking meat and the like?
It’s also used in non food ways like curing rubber.
Maybe it was to do with taking care and eliminating a problem. Meat would’ve been a problem if it was not cured?
@Progster is a whiz at this kind of thing. I mean word meanings, etymology etc., not curing meat.
A quote from online mentions to take care of..
“typically they are connected instead to words for "make whole" or "tend to" or even "conjurer." French guérir (with Italian guarir, Old Spanish guarir) is from a Germanic verb stem also found in in Gothic warjan, Old English wearian "ward off, prevent, defend"

Last edited:
Sitting in my car letting it warm up. I am so glad it has heated seats.
BF90283F-11CC-48C5-81CA-E6D129C91A04.jpeg

I have a random question; since I do not use the car much during winter - I can walk to the shops,
would running it for 10 minutes while it’s sitting in the garage help keep the battery and the various fluids circulating enough to keep it basically healthy?

It’s also used in non food ways like curing rubber.
Maybe it was to do with taking care and eliminating a problem. Meat would’ve been a problem if it was not cured?
According to the online dictionary below, the word is of Latin origin, "cura" = care, trouble, concern. It then pased into Old French, and then from there into the English language. Makes sense, as it is similar to our modern English word "care'. We also have the word "curator", of a museum, for example.

cure | Etymology, origin and meaning of cure by etymonline

Not mentioned in the online dictionary, but of interest: modern Greek has the word "κουράζω" (curazo) = tire (can mean to trouble someone), become tired. Ancient Greek has επικουρέω (epicureo) modern Greek epicuro = to help.

Health food advocate Basil Brown died after drinking around 10 US gallons of carrot juice over the course of ten days and he turned bright yellow before he died. This is why you should not eat so many carrots or a lot of them on a daily basis.

I just saw a guy walking his dog with a cement block attached to what I think was the leash and he was dragging the block on the ground.

In reading this book, Spark*, I realized that I was almost electrocuted at about age 11.
My parents had just put up a new hanging light fixture. It was evening, & they asked me to pull the chain & turn it on. I had bare feet, was touching the metal heat register with one foot, reached up to click the chain and BLAM. Next thing I knew I was sitting on the floor, gasping for breath.

*Spark, by T.J. Jorgensen

I was messing around with filters and I thought these were pretty hilarious lol. And he likes to cuddle with me now.
Sorry for my disgusting feet lol
80E78B67-85D0-485A-9E69-3AEC7DF33D15.jpeg

270CDEFB-E73A-4772-AA0A-E8ECA757ABE7.jpeg
8CE9F9F9-33CE-4B75-9D2B-51A528467586.jpeg

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom