• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Pipe Dreams

Outdated

I'm from the other end of the spectrum.
V.I.P Member
It's good to have dreams, something to hope for, even if you know you'll probably never get there. I've been toying with the idea of buying a holiday home. Nothing flash, just a small block of land with a shed on it would do. Electricity and running water would be nice but are optional, I'd only camp there now and then rather than living there.

Before I can do any of this I'd need to buy a car, so it really is only a pipe dream but I started having a look around just to see what's out there. There's a few very cheap places in remote towns but I would prefer somewhere close to the Murray River if I can get it.

I could have an underground house in Cooper Pedy for around AU$35K. But Cooper Pedy's too far away and there's not a lot out there. That's a bit more than I want to spend too, I really do just want a block with a shed I can camp in. There's a few buildings some remote councils are selling off too, the Town Hall in Bruce is up for auction and will probably go for around AU$10K. That would be almost perfect, not the greatest location though.

There's a nice house going up for auction in Port Germain too, way outside of budget for me but likely to go for around AU$40K. A two bedroom house and a few sheds on 20 acres. Port Germain's probably about a 3 hour drive north of Adelaide. The property is just far enough out of the town to be peaceful and quiet but still close enough for convenience. Nice beaches and a jetty, and just a short drive to the east is the Southern Flinders Ranges.

I have to get a car first though. Soon...

It's always about financing. Every plan I make always boils down to financing. I have a few dreams to but it has to be financed. I hope you get the property you want and fulfill your dream.

I like the sound of that Town Hall for 10K. I want my own Australian Town Hall, that would be cool. :D

It's not just a matter of the initial cost, whatever you get you're going to be responsible for maintenance and that's an ongoing cost a lot of people don't think about. That town hall looks gorgeous but it also looks like it might be heritage listed, if that's the case then you seriously have to maintain it and you're limited in what alterations you're allowed to make. It also has no toilet facilities and no access to town water supply.

Still, it would make a cool little holiday shack.

Rats. And here I thought this was going to be a thread about the different pipes you have and use for your pipe smoking pastime!

Rats. And here I thought this was going to be a thread about the different pipes you have and use for your pipe smoking pastime!
For what it's worth, I think the phrase originated in reference to opium smoking. :)

It's not just a matter of the initial cost, whatever you get you're going to be responsible for maintenance and that's an ongoing cost a lot of people don't think about.

Yeah there's always something, ongoing costs.

A Town Hall with no toilet facilities and no access to town water supply... it sounds a little inconvenient but I still like the thought of my own Town Hall. :)

Yeah I bought the property I live on now, last summer I spent a lot of money on it and all of it was maintenance and refurbishing. There's always something, ongoing costs.
Even just the mowing, for a place you'll likely only visit every couple of months. That's compulsory here, hot climate, fire risk. So I don't want a big block and I want something easy to look after. A simple tin shed with a concrete floor would be ideal. A rainwater tank and a couple of shady trees. That's all I really need.

It's good to have dreams, something to hope for, even if you know you'll probably never get there. I've been toying with the idea of buying a holiday home. Nothing flash, just a small block of land with a shed on it would do. Electricity and running water would be nice but are optional, I'd only camp there now and then rather than living there.

Before I can do any of this I'd need to buy a car, so it really is only a pipe dream but I started having a look around just to see what's out there. There's a few very cheap places in remote towns but I would prefer somewhere close to the Murray River if I can get it.

I could have an underground house in Cooper Pedy for around AU$35K. But Cooper Pedy's too far away and there's not a lot out there. That's a bit more than I want to spend too, I really do just want a block with a shed I can camp in. There's a few buildings some remote councils are selling off too, the Town Hall in Bruce is up for auction and will probably go for around AU$10K. That would be almost perfect, not the greatest location though.

There's a nice house going up for auction in Port Germain too, way outside of budget for me but likely to go for around AU$40K. A two bedroom house and a few sheds on 20 acres. Port Germain's probably about a 3 hour drive north of Adelaide. The property is just far enough out of the town to be peaceful and quiet but still close enough for convenience. Nice beaches and a jetty, and just a short drive to the east is the Southern Flinders Ranges.

I have to get a car first though. Soon...
Or,...van life. Find an older full-sized panel van. Renovate it the way you want.

Get pieces and parts for recreational vehicle solar, battery, and/or generator. Satellite internet. Self-contained water. Composting toilet, etc. Then, when the mood suits you, travel to where ever you want. Park. Off-grid it for a bit. Then move on.

Get pieces and parts for recreational vehicle solar, battery, and/or generator. Satellite internet. Self-contained water. Composting toilet, etc. Then, when the mood suits you, travel to where ever you want. Park. Off-grid it for a bit. Then move on.
A lot of people do this here, from very basic setups to huge mobile homes. It's mostly older people, known as Grey Nomads. Some do a lap of the country, that usually takes a couple of years because there's a lot to see. But once again there's maintenance and fuel, that's not cheap.

For me a very simple shack near the river would be the go, somewhere peaceful where I can relax and swim. Everything I need stored in a shed so I can just jump in the car and go on the spur of the moment without having to plan and pack for it.

A lot of people do this here, from very basic setups to huge mobile homes. It's mostly older people, known as Grey Nomads. Some do a lap of the country, that usually takes a couple of years because there's a lot to see. But once again there's maintenance and fuel, that's not cheap.

For me a very simple shack near the river would be the go, somewhere peaceful where I can relax and swim. Everything I need stored in a shed so I can just jump in the car and go on the spur of the moment without having to plan and pack for it.

This sounds great. If I was single I'd need very little in terms of living space and I'd prefer it that way.

Sounds good to me.

For a while I was married to a man who had an off-grid cottage in the Adirondacks, right on a little brook, about 3 acres in the middle of the woods. It was heavenly. About a three hour drive from town.

I still puruse various ads for land. I don't even need a building. A tent would do.

I was just looking today at ads for property in Italy. Italy's small towns are offering properties quite cheaply.

Just for the record, I thought the post was going to be about smoking pipes too.

I see some things like this on facebook groups. One is called tiny homes. Not into it myself but there are a lot of creative ideas. A frame house not much bigger then a tent, homes built entirely out of forklift pallets, etc.

My Pipe dream was to own a castle, then scaled down to building my own tower, but now beyond my physical capability. But I don't miss the dream really.

If you could find the land you could drop a secondhand, side-opening shipping container on it. Finding the land is the problem. Australia has a lot of it, but nobody seems to want to sell it cheap. Maybe you could find someone who would lease some to you.

That sounds really nice, and I hope you find a perfect little spot.

My pipe dream was to have a camper van and travel around for very long periods
of time also. I really wanted it for when I retired.
It never happened due to physical health problems.

I really wish you luck in your endeavors. :)

It's not just a matter of the initial cost, whatever you get you're going to be responsible for maintenance and that's an ongoing cost a lot of people don't think about. That town hall looks gorgeous but it also looks like it might be heritage listed, if that's the case then you seriously have to maintain it and you're limited in what alterations you're allowed to make. It also has no toilet facilities and no access to town water supply.

Still, it would make a cool little holiday shack.

Property taxes are a killer in many places. Lots of families are forced to sell their homes because they can't afford them.

Property taxes are a killer in many places. Lots of families are forced to sell their homes because they can't afford them.
Rates here are set by local councils, usually set as a percentage of property value, so if what you own isn't worth much then the rates are going to be quite reasonable.

A place within walking distance of the river would suit me just fine. By the time you get to South Australia the Murray is a very big and placid river, on the surface at least, and unlike the tropics there's nothing in it that's going to try and eat you. Somewhere between the towns of Morgan and Mannum would be nice, not too far to drive from Adelaide.

swan-reach-murray-river-lakes-and-coorong.jpg

If you follow your bliss, doors will open. Joseph Campbell, a professor in comparative mythology, said something like that in an interview once. I look back on it once in a while and tend to agree. What seemed impossible at some point became possible one day, but especially when I followed my bliss - that which makes me truly happy and feeling truly alive and not considering anything else. That is why it is so important to allow one self to dream, because if we do not allow it, then there literally is no room for the dream. Not in our lives anyways.

I have a local (1.5 hour drive) and a Tennessee foothill getaway. I don't actually own the Tennessee place, but I have been told it's mine to use anytime. This is the local place. 9 miles of 4wd trail to reach it.
20230703_094530.jpg
20230705_085815.jpg

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom