• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

physical clumsiness?

I have severe developmental coordination disorder (DCD). It is so bad it resembles mild cerebral palsy. Both myself and everything I am around should be wrapped in lots of bubblewrap to help prevent injury and damage.

I keep tripping over my own feet and my husband says that I will always find a hole to trip up on, even if there is no hole.

When I carry delicate things, my attention has to be solely on that, otherwise, accidents will happen.

Tripping up stairs is my specialty. ><

Also. WHY ARE ALL DOORKNOBS AT HIP HEIGHT. I don't know how I do it, but I have a long history of bruising my hip bones on door knobs and table corners.

I once bruised my tailbone meditating. Went to sit on my cushion out on my deck, and rammed my tailbone directly on the metal bar of the deck chair.

And dropping things? Constantly.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes I am clumsy or a bit dyspraxic. Can't do sports unfortunately although I swim and cycle. I got the hang of that ok, surprisingly. I don't drive. I bump into furniture and doors and shelves etc and drop stuff, can't easily open food packaging oops that can be messy. I avoid sharp tools and knives as I am so clumsy it seems dangerous to use them. I don't use power tools.

I'm quite good at crossing the road unless it's icy, then I may fall. I turn my ankle and fall sometimes. Surprisingly I have rarely done anything serious I think I have learned enough caution and strategies.

I have slight amblyopia, (lazy eye) interestingly I heard it's linked to asd. Amblyopia, by itself will cause sight problems leading to clumsiness. I wonder how asd stacked on top of that effects me.
I think it's all I've ever known and have adapted to it, but I'm very scared of heights. And I think it's not an irrational fear for me. When on hikes and close to a dangerous edge, I'm more scared than others because I feel like I have less control. I went up a butte, I think the path was eroding, others easily jogging past me. But it was narrow and the drop was bad. (Plus a loose gavel path.) I decided I couldn't do it, turned around but walking the opposite direction is harder, nearly cried myself.

Great when younger.
Barely upright most of the time though,
joints like elastic bands.
The more I balanced, flipped, swung, rolled and spun, the better I got at it.

now though,
I blame Mr Gracey for moving the walls, door frames and furniture I've just bounced off.

Trip over the flat floor surface if I don't lift my feet high enough when walking.

Great when younger.
Barely upright most of the time though,
joints like elastic bands.
The more I balanced, flipped, swung, rolled and spun, the better I got at it.

now though,
I blame Mr Gracey for moving the walls, door frames and furniture I've just bounced off.

Trip over the flat floor surface if I don't lift my feet high enough when walking.
Pilates is supposed to be good for getting your balance back , and it’s low impact as you do it on the floor ,I think autistic people would like it as it’s very repetitive. but I want the machine I have ADHD I think so I like to move

My fine motor skills are so much better than my gross motor. I'm really good at crocheting, handwriting, but I suck at sports. Personally I would rather be an athletic person than a nerd (if I could only choose).

I'm also a slouchee, everyday of my life. Everyone tells me to sit or stand straight, then I forget to breathe. Maintaining a straight posture takes all of my energies, I don't know why.

And wearing high heels is too dangerous for me (who on earth created them?) Wearing them for an hour is like doing a death defying stunt. So, I just go safe with flats. Other women raise their eyebrows when I just go by simple ballerina flats in some formal occasions like I committed a faux pas, but I just don't mind their facial expressions.

Trip over my own feet, especially at work. I think its because at work I'm also concentrating on smiling and being normal. Cant walk and be normal at the same time, I guess, and if you add smiling to the mix....well! Multitasking is like, I can drop the patient's meds on the floor and bump into the bedrail at the same time.
Always picked 2nd to last for the team at whatever team sport it was. Thank you, girl who always got picked last, for your service.

One of the reasons I think I am on the spectrum is that I have memories of having occupational therapy in elementary school. When I got into video games around age 12 or so, my father started remarking about how all the teachers had said that I would not be able to do anything with hand-eye coordination and that the video games proved them wrong.

Like Einstein, I had a lot of trouble learning to tie my shoes. I still used the two loops method until I was into my twenties.

I could not figure out how to whistle until I was in my early twenties.

I can't snap my fingers the way that they do on TV.

I also remember being ridiculed in gym, especially over jumping jacks. Then there was the time in grad school that I took my girlfriend to a club in NYC on her birthday. She started complaining about my attempts at Salsa dancing and threatened to find someone else to dance with. In retrospect, I think she was trying to provoke me into ending the relationship.

I can relate. I've struggled with motor skills (particularly fine) all my life. My gross motor skills aren't as bad and I'm actually decent at dancing, but yeah...hand-eye coordination is definitely not my strong suit. I remember struggling to learn to tie my shoes as a kid. And feeling like an idiot in my middle school home economics class because literally no other kid in the class struggled with sewing as much as I did. Heck, I never did even figure out how to thread the machine and always had to get my neighbor to help me. The actual sewing was a disaster and I constantly broke needles. I would have never even finished the project (we were sewing tote bags) if it hadn't been for my best friend staying after school one day with me. She helped me and just walked me through everything. I hated P.E. too, like a lot of others have said. I remember also being humiliated when we played softball because when I was up to bat, I just kept missing the ball over and over again. I wasn't good at any of the ball sports. I hated basketball especially, because I felt like we were getting in each other's personal space and it was so awkward.

I still struggle with simple tasks as an adult, like opening packages and envelopes, locking/unlocking doors, putting together boxes, etc. I just get very confused and overwhelmed if I try to do something involving my hands that requires multiple steps. I still can't hold silverware the "right" way. I pretty much hold it like a shovel because it's easier for me to not drop the food that way. And the "right" way feels weird and unnatural.

I also have a teaching degree, and completed student teaching and briefly worked as an aide after that. Teaching didn't work out for me for a few reasons, but I always joke that I couldn't teach kindergarten/1st grade because those kids are still developing their fine motor skills, and mine are no better, so I was hardly any help to them if they needed help opening something or with some craft/activity that they were doing in their class.

Never had Thought about that... But locking/unlocking doors, tying knots and most sports are a struggle. I would prolly be a terrible driver with my attention span and coordination skills lol

My fine motor skills are getting worse as I get older. They've never been great, but they are definitely deteriorating. Gross motor skills, however, seem to be improving since I do a lot of martial arts training. I joke that I have better balance on one foot than I do on two! MA training has greatly improved my ability to not fall over when I trip on something, and now I know how to fall without hurting myself! I'll never be incredibly graceful, but MA training has been a real game-changer for me. Everyone is so surprised when I trip or fall over, but I'm used to it. I've learned to compensate pretty well, and laugh at myself when I do it in public.

One of the reasons
Like Einstein, I had a lot of trouble learning to tie my shoes. I still used the two loops method until I was into my twenties.

I could not figure out how to whistle until I was in my early twenties.

I can't snap my fingers the way that they do on TV.

I'm 31 years old and I still tie my shoes using the two loops method. It works, why change? LOL It's not like anyone is critiquing my shoe tying method at my age.

I had difficulties with basic things like this too. It takes me forever to learn certain things, snapping my fingers is one thing that I remember having trouble with. Once I learn it, I'm good at whatever it is, but I struggle to learn. It took me several summers to learn how to swim, despite being in the pool every day, for example.

Last month I got a basketball. The first time I took it out to a court to shoot some hoops, I'm not sure I even lasted ten minutes between I badly rolled my ankle chasing a rebound. It's still swollen. :(

I'm also bad at hiking downhill - I always seem to have difficulty finding a right spot, and even when I do, I still have difficulty maintaining balance.

I'm really clumsy.
I remember my Dad saying "You are a clumsy (deleted) aren't you"
Also, my brother used to call me klutz, but I enjoyed it when he called me klutz as he made it clear he was only joking with me and didn't mean any hostility.

I'm probably about average (for NT) here. I can be clumsy, maybe a little more than most people, but not clinically so.

But then again, when I was younger I took a special supplementary PE class several times a month throughout elementary school, and even into sixth grade. We went over things like proper form when running, throwing and catching, balance, those ribbons on a stick, swinging my arms while walking, and so on.

I'm also a good driver, and good at video games, but have awful handwriting. I can draw okay sometimes, but I can have trouble drawing circles and straight lines, and coloring in the lines.

I'm probably about average (for NT) here. I can be clumsy, maybe a little more than most people, but not clinically so.

But then again, when I was younger I took a special supplementary PE class several times a month throughout elementary school, and even into sixth grade. We went over things like proper form when running, throwing and catching, balance, those ribbons on a stick, swinging my arms while walking, and so on.

I'm also a good driver, and good at video games, but have awful handwriting. I can draw okay sometimes, but I can have trouble drawing circles and straight lines, and coloring in the lines.
Sounds like your gross motor skills are better than your fine motor skills.
I am the opposite.

I can write neatly, and am dexterous but very clumsy and my driving test had to be cancelled as I was a safety risk.
I cannot judge speed and distance.
I cannot even ride a 2 wheeler bike properly.

New Threads

Top Bottom